Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Vintage Lures

Vintage Lures At the request of many members, a new S-B forum for the discussion of Vintage Lures

Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
EricW

Some new stuff I came across - Seventy Pounder Club

I've been going through some of my family's stuff and I came across some more goodies.

Here is an old card that belonged to my grandfather Bill Nolan. It is an MSBA 70 pounder club card. Anyone (maybe older than me) have any details on that? It is not dated and I don't know when it was from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130916_222447.jpg
Views:	1438
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	57010  
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
vineyardblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
I've been going through some of my family's stuff and I came across some more goodies.

Here is an old card that belonged to my grandfather Bill Nolan. It is an MSBA 70 pounder club card. Anyone (maybe older than me) have any details on that? It is not dated and I don't know when it was from.
Neat card,
The guy who gave your grandpappy the card from Mass bass is still alive and kicking
go to the mass bass show next year and ask him about it .
I remember John telling me something about a pin .....very interesting to say the least
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Johnny lives in Somerville. Usually goes to the Derby and stays at the Basic Fishing Shack. You could probably get his contact info from BasicPatrick as well. That group is planning on being down there the first week of October.
Any relation to the other Bill Nolan???????? Two accomplished anglers with same name is quite a coincidence......
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
John Cherico is at the MSBA meetings in Quincy every month! Go by and see him??

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
BEETLE

Some time between 1962-1968.
John Cherico was the Club Pres. (1st time) in 1969.
I think he was sec. under my father Harry B. between 62-64. (or DeMasi, or McCarthy.
Nice Find
I remember these guys in the 60s - tough bunch - worked hard-fished hard.
Enjoyed going to your Grandfathers in Norwell with my Dad to go shopping for tackle.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
beamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETLE View Post
Enjoyed going to your Grandfathers in Norwell with my Dad to go shopping for tackle.
I went there once when I was a kid to that barn in Norwell. I think it was 76-78 or so. I was 9-11. Went with some of my dads friends from the Savin Hill YC. I needed a spinning rod. Ended up getting an 8ft spinning rod for $10. I beat that thing up for years with blues and snagging pogies.

I can still remember that night though. Bunch of guys in a car, headed from Quincy to Norwell to go to (Bill Nolan's) barn and get some gear. Now when your a little kid going from Quincy to Norwell seemed like it was in Maine.......and going to a barn......when your a kid the things in your head are..... what is this. I can remember asking one of my dads friends if "this was the black market".

Now I live on the North River and fish some of the same waters that your Grandfather and you fished allot I'm sure. The fishing is still outstanding in the month of May into June.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
BEETLE

I'd give up some body parts now to have some of those new in the box Gibbs or creek chubs I saw on the shelves in that old barn.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
vineyardblues

Nice Title

Eric,
looks like your Grandfarther played a large role back in the day
sorry for the cell phone pic's
Kool stuff for sure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70lber.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	57643   Click image for larger version

Name:	70tackle.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	57644  
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I used to go to 240 Old Oaken Bucket Rd. a lot. Always dealt with Eric's mom Nancy. Bought my first blanks there. It was a thread emporium. What a barn.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

And John Cherico is the salt of the earth
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #11
EricW

Luckily a lot of the old stuff in the barn survived and is with me.
I usually bring a portion of it (a couple hundred old plugs - mostly goo goos) and other memorabilia to plugfest each year if anyone would like to see them.

Thanks guys for the old stories. I like hearing about peoples adventures in the barn. I had a great time growing up there.

I have an interesting story, about 1987 I found case upon case of the old solid green and white atom poppers, swimmers and spook type plugs that came on the Atom display cards. I took them down stairs and sold most of them for about 3.00 each. I did hold on to a bunch since I thought they were cool, but would love to have cases of them now......

Another interesting find from the barn isn't fishing related but the floor in parts of the barn was "tiled" with old wooden road signs. I have a bunch that I pulled up and about a dozen that were extras which are in pristine shape. These are from rt 58, rt 123, rt 3 etc from the south shore. My grandfather must have made some deal with someone from the highway department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETLE View Post
I'd give up some body parts now to have some of those new in the box Gibbs or creek chubs I saw on the shelves in that old barn.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote