Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-30-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Rant much?

You’re right. It takes thousands of people working for almost nothing to make someone a billion dollars. Capitalism will eat itself.

The share of American adults who live in middle-income households has decreased from 61% in 1971 to 51% in 2019. This downsizing has proceeded slowly but surely since 1971, with each decade thereafter typically ending with a smaller share of adults living in middle-income households than at the beginning of the decade.
You still won't answer my question.

How is anyone better off, if the 100 wealthiest people were only half as successful?

Are you saying that if they were less successful, that their lost wealth would necessarily go to the less fortunate? It doesn't work that way, because they created their wealth, they didn't steal it.

Christ, what a stupid, devoid-of-any-logic, broken record.

I agree that it's not fair that there are billionaires and poor people. But one person's wealth has nothing to do with another person's poverty. They're not connected to each other.

Ands as Scott correctly said, even if you took every cent that the billionaires have, it's nothing compared to the federal budget.

If you dont have what you want in life, and you want to know why, the answer isn't on the cover of Forbes magazine, it's much more likely that the answer is staring at you in the mirror.

Your premise is stupid, it has no logic to it, and it's completely refuted by the math, which clearly shows that tweaking tax rates on the wealthy doesn't add up to much.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Ands as Scott correctly said, even if you took every cent that the billionaires have, it's nothing compared to the federal budget.

clearly we should kill them and take their stuff and evenly distribute it among the people they victimized to create their wealth and the world would be a better place
Old 09-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
clearly we should kill them and take their stuff and evenly distribute it among the people they victimized to create their wealth and the world would be a better place
Sounds implausible, doesn't it?

In 1993, Timothy McVeigh wrote his hometown paper: “Do we have to shed blood to reform the current system? I hope it doesn’t come to that. But it might.”

Two years later he murdered 168 people.

That the OKC bombing has somehow been memory-holed both baffles and explains a lot

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
I did the math, I looked at Walmart, if you took all of the CEOs annual compensation and gave it to the US workers, it worked out to around $35 per year. Big whoop.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
I did the math, I looked at Walmart, if you took all of the CEOs annual compensation and gave it to the US workers, it worked out to around $35 per year. Big whoop.
It's much worse than that. If you took the yearly income of a part time greeter and distributed it evenly to every top store manager it would come out to roughly 1.43 dollars. This doesn't even make a dent in the problem.

Even worse, randomly divide by 5!!!!!
Old 09-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's much worse than that. If you took the yearly income of a part time greeter and distributed it evenly to every top store manager it would come out to roughly 1.43 dollars. This doesn't even make a dent in the problem.

Even worse, randomly divide by 5!!!!!
Spence, if we could make a dent in poverty by taxing the uber wealthy, I'd support it 100%. It doesn't work. It doesn't come close to working. You can't eliminate poverty by giving money to poor people. The lack of money isn't the cause of their problem, it's usually the symptom of the underlying problem.

Funny how your side never stops claiming it has a monopoly on caring for the poor, yet you oppose school choice? I could swear I've heard liberals describe themselves as being "pro choice" somewhere, I'm almost certain of it. It seems your advocacy of choice is rather selective, doesn't it?

Let the parents choose where that money is spent, and public schools would be ten times better in an hour.

Sadly, democrats can't go against their masters in the teachers unions, so those poor kids, disproportionately black, are stuck in failing sh-thole schools.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
When I was 19, I heard the CT democrats saying if we could just take a little more from the wealthy, we could end poverty. It sounds so morally obvious, I registered as a democrat and couldn't believe anyone was opposed. Then one day, someone showed me the very simple and very irrefutable math, showed how stupid it was to make that argument. It's all a big fat lie.

I'm not saying its Fair that there are billionaires, but they aren't any kind of viable solution to our big problems. Their collective wealth is a rounding error in the big picture. yet the left never stops obsessing with them. Because it sounds great, like Biden promising to cure cancer.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
scottw

Quote:
When I was 19, I heard the CT democrats saying if we could just take a little more from the wealthy, we could end poverty. It sounds so morally obvious, I registered as a democrat and couldn't believe anyone was opposed. Then one day, someone showed me the very simple and very irrefutable math, showed how stupid it was to make that argument. It's all a big fat lie.

I'm not saying its Fair that there are billionaires, but they aren't any kind of viable solution to our big problems. Their collective wealth is a rounding error in the big picture. yet the left never stops obsessing with them. Because it sounds great, like Biden promising to cure cancer.
yeah but don't you remember that guy McVeigh?