Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Cheap gas...

And it's about frakking time (see what I did there?). Tell me again why I'm supposed to be afraid of what's happening in the Dakotas? And if Al Gore was right, wasn't North Dakota supposed to be the world's leading exporter of pineapples and sugar cane by now?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
CTSurfrat

I believe there have been some documented cases of well contamination, but a relatively small number. It doesn't mean we need to stop frakking, it means we need to improve how we do it. Nobody wants contaminated water. It has certainly Lowered the price of oil.
By this time I believe kids were never supposed to actually witness snow! The list of dire predictions that never materialized is staggering. So much for all those computer models....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Nebe

My worries with fraking is that you would have to be a fool to think that you can pump toxic chemicals into the ground and not think that they would eventually seep into water tables that feed our drinking supply. The same logic is that a smoke stack doesn't pollute if it's down wind from you or that you can dump waste in the bay if the tide is going out.

Those chemicals will eventually poison people. Maybe next year, or the next decade.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
My worries with fraking is that you would have to be a fool to think that you can pump toxic chemicals into the ground and not think that they would eventually seep into water tables that feed our drinking supply. The same logic is that a smoke stack doesn't pollute if it's down wind from you or that you can dump waste in the bay if the tide is going out.

Those chemicals will eventually poison people. Maybe next year, or the next decade.
And eventually, Kansas is supposed to be underwater, and the arctic will become tropical. I agree we need to be cautious,as we all want a clean environment. But let's base decisions on facts and common sense, not The Narrative.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Liv2Fish

These prices are the result of the Saudi's flooding the market with oil that costs them pennies to extract compared to costs of all the competitors, mainly Russia. They are trying to force the competition out of the business because they can't even cover costs at these prices - US companies included. Check out the US oil company stocks, all in the toilet.
I know someone who works at a large investment firm and manages their energy portfolio. He tells me that this will likely last a few years and could actually cause some pretty significant issues for our economy.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Old 01-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
CTSurfrat

I think the Saudi's can get oil out of the ground for around $10 a barrel. If they can continue to drive down prices by keeping production going, they will drive US extraction out of business and then they will be back in a position of strength - prices will run back up. Not to mention taking out Russia and other oil producers at the same time.

Bill
Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #7
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
But let's base decisions on facts and common sense, not The Narrative.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
let's not forget the by product of hemp farming that was intentionally
STOPPED in it's tracks because of the paper industry moguls who had great influence
in Hollywood (california) which have the perfect seeds containing a diesel oil substitute
that's much better than used fry oils.

The FACTS were distorted / reported by a dishonest president who had to RESIGN (or else be impeached)
and have never been corrected.
This is the equivalent of throwing someone in Prison for a MURDER they never committed
and leaving them there to rot.

Every time i'd hear about Switch grass from good ol George Bush
i'd cringe at the thought....

as ALGAE can produce more fuel than FRACKING in less time.
and SOLAR panels placed out on the salt flats don't make pollution.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
let's not forget the by product of hemp farming that was intentionally
STOPPED in it's tracks because of the paper industry moguls who had great influence
in Hollywood (california) which have the perfect seeds containing a diesel oil substitute
that's much better than used fry oils.

The FACTS were distorted / reported by a dishonest president who had to RESIGN (or else be impeached)
and have never been corrected.
This is the equivalent of throwing someone in Prison for a MURDER they never committed
and leaving them there to rot.

Every time i'd hear about Switch grass from good ol George Bush
i'd cringe at the thought....

as ALGAE can produce more fuel than FRACKING in less time.
Interesting enough, electric rates are soaring because of solar energy. Traditional power plants need to put out a certain amount to be economically feasible. Solar energy is cutting into that so prices are rising. I'm all for alternative energy supplies and have been looking at solar panels from my house for a while. It's never cheap to be green
Old 01-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Perhaps not. But they don't produce a meaningful amount of electricity, either.

Contrary to what you hear on MSNBC, even conservatives are interested in clean air and clean water. We just want to be realistic about our approach, not responding to the lies of a fat turd like Al Gore, who amazingly lives in a way that spits in th eface of everything he claims to believe. So he and the rest of the swells can live in luxury, and the rest of us are supposed to live in mud huts and walk to work?
Old 01-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
Raven

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I'm all for alternative energy supplies and have been looking at solar panels from my house for a while. It's never cheap to be green
the infrastructure for electrical fuel stations isn't in place (obviously)

what's needed and has just been invented are rechargeable car batteries
that take about an hour costs like $3.00 to recharge

we are years away.... from ... hydrogen squeezed thru graphene filters
with so infinitesimally small holes in sheets 100 times thinner than a human hair ...

can filter saltwater into fresh water just as easy
Old 01-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #11
Liv2Fish

Quote:
the infrastructure for electrical fuel stations isn't in place (obviously)

what's needed and has just been invented are rechargeable car batteries
that take about an hour costs like $3.00 to recharge

we are years away.... from ... hydrogen squeezed thru graphene filters
with so infinitesimally small holes in sheets 100 times thinner than a human hair ...

can filter saltwater into fresh water just as easy
They just put in a charging station in the park and ride at the base of the sagamore bridge, behind the dunks.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
CTSurfrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Interesting enough, electric rates are soaring because of solar energy. Traditional power plants need to put out a certain amount to be economically feasible. Solar energy is cutting into that so prices are rising. I'm all for alternative energy supplies and have been looking at solar panels from my house for a while. It's never cheap to be green
I think the more significant reason is the shut down of about 150 coal plants since 2010. As Obama himself stated "electricity rates will skyrocket". Solar energy generates only about .3% of electricity used in the country.

Bill
Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I blame Obama for cheap gas ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #14
Raven

more trouble for es-con valdez as pipeline
crossing over river in Yosemite has burst
spilling 50,000 gallons of oil into frozen river.