Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #31
wdmso

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/..._ayfOMtJxw8_84

but this story will get no coverage here
Old 12-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yes, HW is such a man of integrity he became best friends with the devil. Good one.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
you’re right. bill clinton is a paragon of virtue. what was i thinking?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You’re putting a hell of a lot of pressure on that dog and reinforcing the author’s point once again.
i’m putting exactly zero pressure in the dog.

Why doesn’t the author attack PETA for constantly anointing all living things ( including plants, mold spores, etc) with divine status? how come its only “demented” to go overboard with the Bush’s dog?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/..._ayfOMtJxw8_84

but this story will get no coverage here
start a thread and walk us through it. you like to tell me to stay on topic so right back at you.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #35
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i’m putting exactly zero pressure in the dog.

Why doesn’t the author attack PETA for constantly anointing all living things ( including plants, mold spores, etc) with divine status? how come its only “demented” to go overboard with the Bush’s dog?
You’re expecting the dog to embody the story you’ve thrust upon it to satisfy your own emotional needs. That’s kind of demented.

Don’t know the author so I can’t comment about her other lack of writings.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #36
Nebe

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/slate/
Old 12-06-2018, 04:52 AM   #37
wdmso

Quote:
start a thread and walk us through it. you like to tell me to stay on topic so right back at you.
no just pointing out a story about a dog outrages you more than a party changing the rules in a lame duck session because they Lost Hint Hint they aren't liberals

what that statement elections have consequences
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #38
scottw

this thread has gotten weird
Old 12-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this thread has gotten weird
that’s because some here simply cannot ever concede that someone on their side made a terrible mistake. Not ever. instead of saying “ she should have left Sully alone, and simply written a nice piece about Bush’s life.”

they are physically incapable of saying that. so they try to change the conversation by pointing out bad things that republicans do ( yes we have bad oriole in the right).

It’s surreal.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #40
PaulS

Quote:
that’s because some here simply cannot ever concede that someone on their side made a terrible mistake. Not ever. instead of saying “ she should have left Sully alone, and simply written a nice piece about Bush’s life.”

they are physically incapable of saying that. so they try to change the conversation by pointing out bad things that republicans do ( yes we have bad oriole in the right).

It’s surreal.
I think it is bc you are so angry that you constantly find minute picky things to comment on so people push back. You find a pictur of the Clinton's at a funeral and for some reason need to comment on it.

The people on the left don't (for the most part) do that.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #41
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

I think it is bc you are so angry
^^^^^
Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think it is bc you are so angry that you constantly find minute picky things to comment on so people push back. You find a pictur of the Clinton's at a funeral and for some reason need to comment on it.

The people on the left don't (for the most part) do that.
oh yes, i forgot one thing, thanks for reminding me. when confronted with irrefutable evidence that a liberal acted badly, in addition to dodging by pointing out bad behavior by republicans, some liberals will point out that the character flaw is actually MINE, for pointing it out.

Jim : why attack a service dog when we’re celebrating the life of a decent man.

Paul: why are you always so angry?

Paul, i’m in a great mood, i cannot get angry between thanksgiving and christmas, not ever. OK?

we’ve addressed my anger. Can you comment on the character of a reporter, who at a time or
mourning this mans passing and celebrating his message, says it’s “demented” to see the photo of his service dog and go “awwwwww”?

Have fun with that.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #43
PaulS

Who cares about a service dog in the grand scheme of things? If someone is so petty to talk about a dog (and I didn't read the article) I could care less.

I think you posted a picture of the Clinton's sitting in church - big deal. It would be like my posting the picture I saw of all the Pres/families reading aloud from the Bible or the program and Trump standing there like he is bored out of his mind. I couldn't be bothered doing that bc I'm not petty (or angry) enough to start a thread about it.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #44
Sea Dangles

Don’t sell yourself short Paul, you are certainly petty enough...
Old 12-06-2018, 10:19 AM   #45
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
......because they Lost Hint Hint they aren't liberals
If they were liberals, they'd be looking to abolish the Electoral college, Don Pussy hats, Call everybody Nazis, Change the voting age to 16, smash store windows, and scream "Not My President" incessantly

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Who cares about a service dog in the grand scheme of things? If someone is so petty to talk about a dog (and I didn't read the article) I could care less.

I think you posted a picture of the Clinton's sitting in church - big deal. It would be like my posting the picture I saw of all the Pres/families reading aloud from the Bible or the program and Trump standing there like he is bored out of his mind. I couldn't be bothered doing that bc I'm not petty (or angry) enough to start a thread about it.
once again, the character flaw is mine. and another diversion to Trump. How original.

apparently the Slate author cared enough about the dog, to feel obligated to put a stop to the goodwill we all felt because of the images of the dog. On my side, we like that stuff. your side calls it “demented.”. That’s why i like my side.

i do take it personally, i guess, i had an amazing golden retriever many years ago who was a certified therapy dog. I took him to Newtown a couple of times after the Sandy Hook shooting. Maybe that was ‘demented’ and ‘wasteful’ of me, Slate magazine would
say so, and none of the liberals here seem to have an issue with it.

Again, thankful for my side.

one of the best gifts of dogs, is that occasionally, they remind us what it is, to be human. I’d say liberals could use a reminder.

Here let me respond for you, save younthe teouble.

Why are you so angry? And did you see what Trump did yesterday?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #47
scottw

Quote:

and another diversion to Trump.

the whataboutismists do a lot of whataboutisming
Old 12-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #48
PaulS

Quote:
once again, the character flaw is mine. and another diversion to Trump. How original. The character flaw is yours in posting about the article. Trump really hasn't been discussed in this thread other than my giving you an example above.

apparently the Slate author cared enough about the dog, to feel obligated to put a stop to the goodwill we all felt because of the images of the dog. On my side, we like that stuff. your side calls it “demented.”. That’s why i like my side.isn't that what you did in the modified tribute thread where you added things about the Clinton's even after Bruce made a new thread and asked everyone to not do that. You did it in the very next post I believe. So you stopped the good will and caused a diversion to the Clinton. Pretty funny you complain about that here but just did the same exact thing in the other thread.

i do take it personally, i guess, i had an amazing golden retriever many years ago who was a certified therapy dog. I took him to Newtown a couple of times after the Sandy Hook shooting. Maybe that was ‘demented’ and ‘wasteful’ of me, Slate magazine would
say so, and none of the liberals here seem to have an issue with it.

Again, thankful for my side.

one of the best gifts of dogs, is that occasionally, they remind us what it is, to be human. I’d say liberals could use a reminder. I think we see what it looks like to be human when Conserv. try to cut taxes where the primary benefit goes to the rich, run up the deficit and then propose to cut benefits like food stamps for poor people.

Here let me respond for you, save younthe teouble.

Why are you so angry? Why am I angry? And did you see what Trump did yesterday? You mean when he didn't read from what everyone else was reading and stood there looking bored?
NM

Last edited by PaulS; 12-06-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Old 12-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
the whataboutismists do a lot of whataboutisming
But it's brilliant and pertinent when THEY do it. Only a character flaw when we do it.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
NM
"isn't that what you did in the tribute thread where you added things about the Clinton's even after Bruce made a new thread and asked everyone to not do that"

The original tribute thread was my thread, so I'm not sure I see how I can be accused of hijacking my own thread. But if it makes you feel better, OK, that's what I did.

"So you stopped the good will and caused a diversion "

Sure. I did that, and I got criticized here by all the liberals for doing that. Yet those same liberals, cannot criticize a fellow liberal for doing that. It's only bad when I do it. Why? Can you tell me why that is?

"I think we see what it looks like to be human when Conserv. try to cut taxes where the primary benefit goes to the rich"

And what happened to black unemployment, and Hispanic unemployment, after that tax cut? How come you left that out. I agree with you 100%, that the tax cut should have been more focused on middle class and below. Where you and I differ, is that I don't have to pretend that there was no benefit to the middle class and below.

You're saying the GOP tax cut was "inhuman". Interesting. I'd say it was imperfect, not aimed enough at the people you and I both want to help. But those people were helped by the tax cut, just not as much as they could have been. Is that true or false?

"run up the deficit "

And where was your concern over the deficit, exactly, from 09-16? I agree the deficit and debt is a MAJPOR issue. But again, the difference between us, is that my concern doesn't depend on the party of the sitting president. Yours does. Which means your concern is selective, which means it's fake.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #51
PaulS

Quote:
"isn't that what you did in the tribute thread where you added things about the Clinton's even after Bruce made a new thread and asked everyone to not do that"

The original tribute thread was my thread, so I'm not sure I see how I can be accused of hijacking my own thread. But if it makes you feel better, OK, that's what I did. So ignore the mods. here bc why? It made you feel good to get one more dig on the Clintons?

"So you stopped the good will and caused a diversion "

Sure. I did that, and I got criticized here by all the liberals for doing that. Yet those same liberals, cannot criticize a fellow liberal for doing that. It's only bad when I do it. Why? Can you tell me why that is? It certainly is different doing it in a tribute thread than a thread about a dog.

"I think we see what it looks like to be human when Conserv. try to cut taxes where the primary benefit goes to the rich"

And what happened to black unemployment, and Hispanic unemployment, after that tax cut? It pretty much continued on the same trajectory as it was going on before. I've said here many times lower unemployment (black or othewise) is good for all us How come you left that out. I agree with you 100%, that the tax cut should have been more focused on middle class and below. Where you and I differ, is that I don't have to pretend that there was no benefit to the middle class and below. The benefit was minor to the middle class and that is why the Repubs. didn't run on it in the elections.

You're saying the GOP tax cut was "inhuman"Tax cuts are not inhumane (I think that is what you mean - hopefully Scott won't read it) but when the deficit balloons as many people said and the reaction is to cut spending for the poor- that is inhumane. . Interesting. I'd say it was imperfect, not aimed enough at the people you and I both want to help. But those people were helped by the tax cut, just not as much as they could have been. Is that true or false?

"run up the deficit "

And where was your concern over the deficit, exactly, from 09-16? You mean when the economy was in the crapper? Different times need different measures. I agree the deficit and debt is a MAJPOR issue. But again, the difference between us, is that my concern doesn't depend on the party of the sitting president. Yours does. Which means your concern is selective, which means it's fake.
Just proved that last statement wrong.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
Just proved that last statement wrong.
"It (black unemployment) pretty much continued on the same trajectory as it was going on before"

Ah yes, it was Obama's doing. How silly of me. When things continue on the same trajectory, it's because of the person who initiated that trajectory? It doesn't take work to maintain progress along that trajectory? Fascinating, simply fascinating.

"I've said here many times lower unemployment (black or othewise) is good for all us "

Have you ever said that the GOP tax cuts helped us in that goal?

"The benefit was minor to the middle class and that is why the Repubs. didn't run on it in the elections. "

$200+ a month for me, not minor, and they did run on it.

"You mean when the economy was in the crapper? "

The economy was in the crapper in the last couple of years of Obama's presidency? I missed that, I guess, lucky me.

"Just proved that last statement wrong."

No, you proved it true. Liberal=good, conservative=bad. that was your whole post.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #53
scottw

Quote:

Tax cuts are not inhumane (I think that is what you mean - hopefully Scott won't read it)
inhuman is a word dummy

inhuman
/inˈ(h)yo͞omən/Submit
adjective

1.lacking human qualities of compassion and mercy; cruel and barbaric. synonyms: cruel, harsh, inhumane, brutal, callous, sadistic, severe, savage, vicious, barbaric; More
Old 12-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #54
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
If they were liberals, they'd be looking to abolish the Electoral college, Don Pussy hats, Call everybody Nazis, Change the voting age to 16, smash store windows, and scream "Not My President" incessantly
There is only one issue with your statement none of those things happened in a lame duck session .. but again thanks for showing how much you care that Republican power grabs .. are equal to pussy hats

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 12-06-2018 at 01:20 PM..
Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #55
scottw

Quote:

There is only one issue with your statement none of those things happened in a lame duck session ..

no they happen all the time
Old 12-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #56
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Not victimized. Empowered by pointing out the ugliness.
I can tell by how many times you posted in this thread, that you need an intervention.
I thought the eulogies were all great, most of the articles I read also, you can tell he had good friends and family, a great sense of humor and didn't take himself too seriously.
Look for something good, Jim.
The dog moved on, you should too.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #57
PaulS

Quote:
"It (black unemployment) pretty much continued on the same trajectory as it was going on before"

Ah yes, it was Obama's doing. How silly of me. When things continue on the same trajectory, it's because of the person who initiated that trajectory? It doesn't take work to maintain progress along that trajectory? Fascinating, simply fascinating.I never claimed that did I? Trump can get credit for continuing if that will make you happy. Show me how the trajectory changed though?

"I've said here many times lower unemployment (black or othewise) is good for all us "

Have you ever said that the GOP tax cuts helped us in that goal?I don't think they did. Most of the tax cuts to corp. went to stock buy backs.

"The benefit was minor to the middle class and that is why the Repubs. didn't run on it in the elections. "

$200+ a month for me, not minor, and they did run on it.I'm glad you make more than the average carpenter, plumber and middle class person on this site. Most Repubs infact did not run on it.

"You mean when the economy was in the crapper? "

The economy was in the crapper in the last couple of years of Obama's presidency? I missed that, I guess, lucky me.Stick with #s (although sometimes I don't think you are that good with them). Was the deficit declining in Obama's later years from the earlier years?

"Just proved that last statement wrong."

No, you proved it true. Liberal=good, conservative=bad. that was your whole post.
I don't start threads that liberals good vs vs cons. bad I'm responding to your posts where you constantly blame liberals for everythiing and then when people point out the stupidity of the post you come back with.

"I get it Liberal=good, conservative=bad" even though your threads all imply that.

Who started this thread crying about what some mag. said about a dog?

Last edited by PaulS; 12-06-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #58
PaulS

Quote:
inhuman is a word dummy

inhuman
/inˈ(h)yo͞omən/Submit
adjective

1.lacking human qualities of compassion and mercy; cruel and barbaric. synonyms: cruel, harsh, inhumane, brutal, callous, sadistic, severe, savage, vicious, barbaric; More
I know it is a word dummy. I thought inhumane should have been used.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #59
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
but again thanks for showing how much you care that Republican power grabs .. are equal to pussy hats
Any time, glad i could help. Figured you were probably getting mixed signals between the tea leaves and the Tarot cards. Next time try tossing some chicken bones down and see if that helps clarify things.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #60
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I know it is a word dummy. I thought inhumane should have been used.
This wisdom sums it up.
What a ❄️

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN