Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 03-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
pbadad

Question Angler Resource confusion

Decided to check out the GPS on K-frame guide set up with a VS250. My reel measurements given to the guide calculator come up with a choke point @ 49.72". Using the 27X 2.75" formula I get 74.25". The reel measurements give a 10 mm difference between the distance of the front shaft center and rear shaft(middle of gear case). I like to use a KW30L as a stripper. The calculator puts it @20 11/16" from shaft tip. Has anyone found this GPS calculator confusing? By the way, laying out K-Frame NCG set ups seem way off by the guide heights available. Seem they need additional heights for the reduction guides for a pefect match. Definately need higher frame in 20/25 K Frames.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
FinS 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Decided to check out the GPS on K-frame guide set up with a VS250. My reel measurements given to the guide calculator come up with a choke point @ 49.72". Using the 27X 2.75" formula I get 74.25". The reel measurements give a 10 mm difference between the distance of the front shaft center and rear shaft(middle of gear case). I like to use a KW30L as a stripper. The calculator puts it @20 11/16" from shaft tip. Has anyone found this GPS calculator confusing? By the way, laying out K-Frame NCG set ups seem way off by the guide heights available. Seem they need additional heights for the reduction guides for a pefect match. Definately need higher frame in 20/25 K Frames.
don't worry too much about making it perfect ngc. follow the measurements loosely, use the guides you want tape e on and test cast, and see how you like it, otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts. then save that info for future reference, every rod i do for myself or a customer is done like this. worst comes to worst you could go with the tried and true cof layout

Century Rods USA Pro Staff Member
FinS 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Saltheart

Yes the GPS does sometimes result in a recommendation of a startlingly close stripper guide. Joe claims that these close placements have been working out. I wouldn't use them myself . I would stick with the location of the choker using the 27 X , locate the stripper based on the string method and then locate the guides in between using the results of your stress test by whatever method you usually use for a good distribution based on action. I think the business of the concentric circles is way over emphasized and fuji's recommendation of placing the guides btween the choke and the tip at even spaces is somewhat thoughtless IMO.

So "The Saltheart Method" is Tom Kirkman Method+ Fuji New Concept Guide Placement Method + Stress Distribution Method + Exponential Equations Method. My method works great every time!

I have not had the chance to read his (Croaker Joe) latest stuff on the KR guide placement system.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote