Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
LeCounts1099

Best (mass- Market) Rock Album in the last 20 years!

OK... I know I'll be getting myself into it here!... YES music is subjective! Of course!

That said: we've talked music here before... & I know there's a lot of very knowlegable guys in that regard reading Scuppers! Yes, I consider myself one of them!

My mission is to do a favor for all those who really love & appreciate "quality/ Classic" Rock! Most of my tastes/ bands personally fall into that category... but let's face it: that's a very big sampling of incredibly diverse music & styles! To know where I stand personally... I see music this way: there's Pink Floyd!... then Jimi Hendrix (Exp.)... then Rush... THEN everybody else! (Yes, EVERYBODY!) Clear on my taste/ biases?

OK, so anyway-- to the favor:

I'm sure 98% of you missed this album... esp. as their last one was their worse ever by far/ no contest! (though the last 3 cuts were killer to redeem a bit...)

BUT: "Snakes & Arrows"... the "new" Rush album now 9 months out or so... IS the very best (mass- Market) Rock/ Modern music album/ CD I've heard in the last 15 years easily!-- maybe 20! ("Diary of a Madman" the last "great" album made besides Rush?)

It is an INCREDIBLE album! -- EVERY cut is beautiful/ "killer", with vituoso instrumentals/ intense layered arrangements, & poetic/ intellectual/ relevant lyrics too (as usual for them... but really better than most of their stuff in a LONG time). Yes, "Moving Pictures" & "2112" & "Permanent Waves" were them at their height-- BUT that was a completely different band & sound compared to what they are today. MUCH different sound/ approach now: less "metal- ish," more melodic & intricate... but a "9.5" nevertheless IMO!

My message: if you take music seriously... & haven't heard this album yet (or not closely/ carefully)... GET IT IMMEDIATELY! Then go ahead afterward & tell me a better Rock (or music) album/ CD released in the last 15 years! If there really IS one better than this... I WANT to know what it is! (Doubt it highly though! )

Last edited by LeCounts1099; 04-11-2008 at 05:07 PM..
LeCounts1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
spence

You do know they're doing another summer tour don't you? I have three tickets for the Tweeter Center up in MA.

Snakes and Arrows is an excellent work for sure. My four year old loves Far Cry while I'm a bit partial to Armor and Sword...but I'd generally agree, the songwriting, performance and production of this album is really top notch...even for Rush

Not bad for a bunch of 50 somethings who can out rock anybody playing today. Their live sound quality is really amazing...so loud, so raw and so pure...

I'd also encourage you to pick up my more recent favorite band Mastodon. Blood Mountain is one of the best new records in recent memory, perhaps even better than some of the work by Tool.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I will give it a try. I used to be a fan. Saw them in the late 70's at music hall in boston but haven't given them a second though in at least 20 years. Thanks

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
LeCounts1099

Spence, that's great news! I DIDN'T see them last... for the first time in many tours... 'cause I was SO disappointed in "Vapor Trails" (I think I recall you liked that one?)... (Again: last three cuts specifically/ only, I love too!)... I'll check out Mastodon!

"Far Cry" from the new one has a guitar riff that just goes right through you... and masterful/ enlightening lyrics! "Faithless" is my GFs favorite song now, & I see the beauty in it too-- there is NO song on this album less than great! Seriously!!

I'll be there this Summer for sure! Front row/ center if I have the $! I'm so proud of the Boys!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
spence

Look now because tickets are already on sale for most shows.

I saw Rush 5 times during the Roll the Bones tour...Twice from front row

Vapor Trails was very good, R30 even better but the Snakes and Arrows tour last summer was really, really incredible. I just can't believe how they rocked it out and how LOUD it was. If memory serves me correct someone on the board here who lives nearby said it was the loudest show since the Allman Brothers, and they are known for being, well, louder than anyone.

As an aside, isn't Live at the Fillmore East one of the best live recordings like...ever?

I've taken my stepson to three shows now and am almost thinking of getting a few grass seats for my 4 year old and wife

-spence
Old 04-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
LeCounts1099

Jealous beyond belief Spence: "Roll the Bones" was another great album of theirs! Saw them once that tour from the nosebleeds!

"R30?" Lost me?

"Live at the Fillmore East" as I've written here before is tied with 2 others for "greatest Live album ever" IMO! (Other two: "Jimi Hendrix & Band of Gypsies Live"... & "Jeff Beck Live w/ Jan Hammer Group")

Rush might be a little loud Live for a 4 yr. old Spence? Too... they are a very "adult"/ intellectual band! (Though I was in love with Yes' "Roundabout" & Skynyrds' "Free Bird" at an age not much more than that!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
spence

After Vapor Trails, Rush did a 30th year anniversary tour where they played a compilation set from every album called R30.

I highly advise you to buy the special edition package that has DVD's from the show as well as the audio CD's...cause it's like really that good.

They do a 15 min opening medly of obscure stuff they didn't play in the show which is really cool. Not exactly the easiest transitions and they of course make it look easy.

I'd only let the 4 year old go if it was a grass seat where it's not that loud, and someone else could take him out mid concert

The last show on Roll the Bones I had front row center, literally...and these were bought at a Ticketmaster outlet. Can't do that any more

-spence
Old 04-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
LeCounts1099

That's what I mean by I might not have the $ Spence (esp. after buying some BM Big Dannys recently... )

Time was you could get great seats from calling / waiting in line... now you must pay scalpers' prices if you want Front- row center!

I'm getting R30... as soon as I can buy a DVD Player (I've resisted so far... but now I finally have incentive!)

For those with little patience: go directly to these tracks from "Snakes & Arrows" first: "Far Cry," "Spindrift," "The Main Monkey Business (Instr.)" "Faithless," & "We Hold On" (the last maybe the best song on the album)...

ProfessorM I know your tastes: can't wait to hear your review of this album! Headphones recommended!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I never liked Rush after 2112, that said I have two words Led Zeppelin is the king of Classic Rock for me. Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Yes, Neil Young, J. Geils to name a few.

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobob View Post
I never liked Rush after 2112
Maybe you like this instead?

-spence
Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
LeCounts1099

No, I know Bob & I know he would love these more recent Rush albums if he got them & listened:

Power Windows; Roll the Bones; Test For Echo; Grace Under Pressure; Counterparts & Subdivisions... & the new one too! Get listening Bob! You've missed a lot of great Rush music in the last 25 years since 2112! (J. Geils? Bob Dylan? )

Love Led Zep more than most Bob... but they're no Floyd or Hendrix or Rush!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
Slingah

I was/am a huge Rush fan...have all discs up to Moving Pictures ( some of their stuff after that is pretty bad I thought)...have seen them multiple times but not since the 80's...one of the best was a show at the Cape Cod Coloseum for the Pemanent Waves tour......I will get the cd and give it a whirl...I heard good things about the show last year and wished I went...might have to check it out...probaly only crappy seats left

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCounts1099 View Post
No, I know Bob & I know he would love these more recent Rush albums if he got them & listened:

Power Windows; Roll the Bones; Test For Echo; Grace Under Pressure; Counterparts & Subdivisions... & the new one too! Get listening Bob! You've missed a lot of great Rush music in the last 25 years since 2112! (J. Geils? Bob Dylan? )

Love Led Zep more than most Bob... but they're no Floyd or Hendrix or Rush!
don't forget : Caress of Steel, Fly by Night, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres....those are the killer ones....2112 is pure classic

Live at Leeds
Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Rush

Being a drummer and a fan of Neil Peart,
Ive seen Rush dozens of times , going back the late 70s
But to be honest, I haven't been a big fan of their last few albums.
But now you got me wanting to check out the new one.
As for classic rock,
In my opinion,
Pink Floyd is in a league of their own !
And every one else is below them !
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

nothing comes close to the allman bros. live at the filmore as the greatest live album ever....nothings even in the same zip code.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #16
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
nothing comes close to the allman bros. live at the filmore as the greatest live album ever....nothings even in the same zip code.

Not really the same type of classic rock,
But Steely Dan's Aja , much better album!
Dark side of the moon, better than both !
Old 04-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #17
LeCounts1099

Slingah... you'll LOVE "S. & A."... Guaranteed! PERFECT for a dark beach parking Lot in between shifts with a starry sky!

Home stuck "in" tonight, my GF away... (& Sun./ Mon. will be my first fishing attempt of '08)...

SO: got inspired-- again just so my biases are known... here's MY personal "top- 10" Rock/ Classic Rock/ Modern Music albums of all time:

1) Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"
2) Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here"
3) Pink Floyd, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn"
4) Jimi Hendrix Exp., "Are You Experienced"
5) Pink Floyd, "The Wall"
6) Pink Floyd, "Meddle"
7) Jimi Hendrix Exp., "Electric Ladyland"
8) Pink Floyd, "Animals"
9) Rush, "Moving Pictures"
10) Rush, "Permanent Waves"

Old 04-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #18
LeCounts1099

But Don... HAVE you heard the Hendrix & J. Beck Live albums I referenced?

I honestly think the Fillmore album-- great as it was-- comes in third to those other two!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #19
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

i like jimmy a lot, not a huge jeff beck fan. the abb just does for me in a big way..dwayne, #^&#^&#^&#^&ie, berry and the boys

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #20
Slingah

memories right here.....

Live at Leeds
Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #21
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

not a fan of singer ,, Rush ... kinda "wicked witch of the west " sounding .. imho

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #22
LeCounts1099

He's unique vocally for sure Tagger (Geddy Lee)... I for one love his voice!...

But he's also one of the three best Bass Guitar players of all time! (with Jack Bruce & Roger Waters)...

AND plays Keyboards for the band too! (VERY well!)
Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #23
Slingah

another one with no singing for Tagger

Live at Leeds
Old 04-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #24
Raider Ronnie

[QUOTE=LeCounts1099;581855]He's unique vocally for sure Tagger (Geddy Lee)... I for one love his voice!...

But he's also one of the three best Bass Guitar players of all time! (with Jack Bruce & Roger Waters)...

Don't forget John Entwistle ,
Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #25
LeCounts1099

Entwistle, Chris Squire, John Paul Jones & Greg Lake & John Wetton come next Ronnie! Geddy IS that good!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #26
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCounts1099 View Post
Entwistle, Chris Squire, John Paul Jones & Greg Lake & John Wetton come next Ronnie! Geddy IS that good!
I agree...I'm a bass fan (and play a bit) and there really are no rock bass players that can compare...Jazz, different story. But none of them have to sing, trigger efx, play keyboards and pedals as well as look cool for a geek

-spence
Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #27
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingah View Post

another one with no singing for Tagger

YYZ just dosen't sound right without the drum solo !
Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #28
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
Greg Allman "Laid Back" comes close
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #29
Slingah

check this out...pretty cool

Live at Leeds
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #30
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingah View Post