Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Jerry Falwell is dead.

Oh well.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Good!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Looks like Larry won.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
mekcotuit

Hope it's hot enough for him...

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
mekcotuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quick! Call Larry and get invites! I bet he's throwing a party tonight.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Raven

Thumbs up

about time.....and i'll drink to that...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Shame. RIP.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Shame. RIP.
I'm sorry booger, you're gonna have go to back to the arch-dioses of boston to get your altar boys now.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Gerry

We are better off and so isn't he! It must have been hell waking up in the morning looking in the mirror, and being Gerry Falwell.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
spence

Tough crowd

I can't jump on his grave, regardless of how awful I thought he was as a man and the countless people his thinking influenced.

Shortly after 9/11 a person I worked with was proclaiming it was all about the gays and abortionists

But I'd rather these folk just fade away and are forgotten.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
parker23
No Trolling allowed

like they say in Nantucket

RIP.
Darn, I forgot the rest of the proverb!
parker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #12
Joe

Can I keep the handcuffs?

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Good!
My first thought!! I wonder how the special room for false prophets in hell is?

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 AM   #14
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Oh well.

GOOD!!!!!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:30 AM   #15
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Good!
Could not have said it better.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:43 AM   #16
NIB

Likwid reads Hustler.
Not a fan.
I ain't about bashin a dead guy.
Not as hard core as some of u guys..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #17
Flaptail

This country was founded on the principle of seperation of church and state and the freedom of religion, speech and several other key ideals.

When John Kennedy was running for President he was grilled by the Democrats and GOP on his catholicism and how that would affect his running the country and he reaffirmed that the idea of seperation of church and state would not be affected in anyway.

Falwell has dragged this country into a quagmire of the religious right trying to interject thier beliefs as the countrys only righteous policy and in doing so has helped divide this country in more ways than it has ever been since the slavery issue and brought us to where we are today with the Bush presidency and his total mismanagement of the Federal Govt and world affirs based on religious beliefs rather than diplomacy and the word and law of the constitution.

Good riddance Mr. Falwell.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #18
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
This country was founded on the principle of seperation of church and state and the freedom of religion, speech and several other key ideals.

When John Kennedy was running for President he was grilled by the Democrats and GOP on his catholicism and how that would affect his running the country and he reaffirmed that the idea of seperation of church and state would not be affected in anyway.

Falwell has dragged this country into a quagmire of the religious right trying to interject thier beliefs as the countrys only righteous policy and in doing so has helped divide this country in more ways than it has ever been since the slavery issue
I normally don't involve myself in political debate here, but I couldn't agree more, Steve. Nor could I phrase it any better.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #19
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Falwell has dragged this country into a quagmire of the religious right trying to interject thier beliefs as the countrys only righteous policy and in doing so has helped divide this country in more ways than it has ever been since the slavery issue and brought us to where we are today with the Bush presidency and his total mismanagement of the Federal Govt and world affirs based on religious beliefs rather than diplomacy and the word and law of the constitution.
I don't normally get involved with dead people either, but Mr. Falwell tried to bridge/close the seperation of church and state. When he did that he opened himself up to whatever befalls him.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #20
Skip N

Quote:

Good riddance Mr. Falwell.

Sounds like your issue isnt so much with Falwell, but with religion in general. You seem to have some kinda hatred and distrust for people who pratcice religion. I dont see any long winded post from you regarding Islam, the religion that is the root of most of worlds problems today.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N View Post
I dont see any long winded post from you regarding Islam, the religion that is the root of most of worlds problems today.

Good one Skippy

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Iiiiitttttssss SHOWTIME!!!

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #23
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Good one Skippy

-spence
Ahhh Spence loves Islam! Those peace loving folks. No Radicals in that Religion!.All they do is strap bombs to thier chest, and fly planes into buildings killing 3000 folks in the name in Allah. But nah, thier religion is so peaceful.

Seems some on here are more concerned and outraged about the religious right, than they are of radical Islam.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #24
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Skip:
I don't want to put words in Flap's mouth, but to echo his comments, (which I agree with) the BIGGEST problem is the lack of separation between church and state. An exit poll during the '04 election found that most people who voted red were MORE concerned with 'moral issues' than terrorism, the Iraq war etc.. so they voted for Bush mainly because Steve (not flaptail) wanted to marry Tom or Fran wanted to marry Jane) and get the same civil rights that straight couples get, not because they were worried about Saddam blowing up NYC. That speaks VOLUMES about what is wrong with politics on both sides. Politics should be apolitical, it is groups like Falwell that are trying to change that. I knew it got bad, when McCain, someone I respected started pandering to the religions right a year or two back...

I have Z-E-R-O problem with people practicing a religion (I'm agnostic) but I have a major problem when that belief clouds their opinions or closes of parts of their mind. IMHO it tends to make people less open minded and less free thinking, especially people on the far religious right. It is NOT my intention to generalize of sterotype there.

People like Falwell preach their religious beliefs which includes intolerance of gays, abortionists etc. While he is a step above Westboro baptist church, in my eyes not by much, ESPECIALLY when post 9/11 Falwell eluded to 9/11 being the fault of the 'immoral' people mentioned above. I have a good friend and colleague who is a prof at Liberty. He is a good scientist who is in denial because his religion tells him the earth is 7500years old, even though his SCIENCE tells him it is 4.6Billion years old. (See the N.Y. Times article a few months back, he was a PhD student from my department here)

I dont wish death on anyone, even if I dont respect them, but the world is not a worse place w/o him.

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 05-16-2007 at 03:36 PM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #25
Raven

no religion is inheritantly evil.... unless the practitioner is killing
people in the name of their chosen GOD.... on purpous.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #26
riverrat55

All types of religion are based upon evil deeds in the name of their so called God, Allah or whomever they preach to!!!
All these religions are made up by men and their ideas!!!
To me, it is best to find your own religion!!!
riverrat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #27
stripersnipr

This reminds me of a question posed to the class back in the dark ages of college. The class was asked: Should a Government be empowered to enact a law that supports a particular religious belief? The fast and loud answer was "NO!" from the usual suspects. The next question was, what if that law enforced the "Thou shalt not kill" Commandment?

Nothing's ever black and white (at least most of the time )
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #28
Skip N

Nothing like kicking the mans dead body before he's even buried. Some really cold, sick people on here. You'd think this guy was a mass murderer with some of the comments i'm seeing. Im sure his family appreciates you guys pissing on his dead body.

I don't care for guys like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, but i certainly wouldnt get any joy if they died. But thats just me. Some people are just sick and twisted i guess.

I'll save my joy for when guys like Saddam and members of Al Qeada die. You know, guys that deserve it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #29
Squid kids Dad

Skip N

Well said..Didnt like the guy but I didnt wish him dead

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #30
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N View Post
I dont see any long winded post from you regarding Islam, the religion that is the root of most of worlds problems today.

In 1984, he was ordered to pay gay activist Jerry Sloan $5,000 after losing a court battle. During a TV debate in Sacramento, California, Falwell denied calling the gay-oriented Metropolitan Community Churches "brute beasts" and "a vile and Satanic system" that will "one day be utterly annihilated and there will be a celebration in heaven."

After the September 11, 2001 attacks, Falwell said on the 700 Club, "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'" Fellow evangelist Pat Robertson concurred with his sentiment.

"AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals."

Like this guy is any better than Bin Laden or any other person out there who spewed hate and bile.
Get with it skip, you're straight up racist, if Bin Laden was white you wouldn't be so quick to jump on the anti-Islam train. Anyone who takes religion like Bin Laden or Falwell is WRONG.

Ski Quicks Hole