Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-09-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
cschorer1979

North Shore lobster spots????

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there can suggest a good north shore boat ramp? My main concern is to do some lobstering, I have ten traps and I was hoping someone can suggest a good spot.

Thanks in advance.

Craig
cschorer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Got a license/permit?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
cschorer1979

Yes, just got it the other day.

Craig
cschorer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:33 PM   #4
Surfcastinglife

i think the best place for lobster is in the water but i dunno im crazy.....wouldnt trust me completely on that one. legal sea foods might be a better bet
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:56 AM   #5
cheferson

Spots that are good for bass are ussally good for da bugs
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:57 AM   #6
Fly Rod

That a 2004 or 2005 permit???
If 2004 Mass recreational lobsta permit ya will need a 2005 shortly!!!

A good spot is just off the red can!!!! Yup that's the one!!!!
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:59 AM   #7
cheferson

Watch out the comm guys will cut your traps if you put them in one of "their" holes
Old 12-10-2004, 09:24 AM   #8
Krispy

why's everyone giving this guy a hard time? either help him out or dont
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:25 AM   #9
Krispy

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/

http://www.lobsters-online.com/docs/lobsterFAQ.htm
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:46 AM   #10
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

""Watch out the comm guys will cut your traps if you put them in one of "their" holes""

Chef... careful thats a dangerous statement to make, not all comm's are like that. I know quite a few lobsterman, and they are all respectable (mostly).. as long as you dont do something stupid (like drape your gear over someone elses, )probably not a problem if CSC is fishing single pots....) then they will leave your gear alone, as long as you do the same

Now.. try placing that same pot between Ida Lewis and the mooring field where I have to take a 20ft wide tour boat on days it's gusting 30NW... I'll wrap it on purpose to teach them a lesson in stupidity..
but then I dont feel so bad in 10ft of water, grapling the pot back up isnt a big challenge for any one at all comptetant...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:48 AM   #11
cheferson

All right some comm guys, friend has had many cut
Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 AM   #12
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally posted by RIROCKHOUND
[BNow.. try placing that same pot between Ida Lewis and the mooring field where I have to take a 20ft wide tour boat on days it's gusting 30NW... I'll wrap it on purpose to teach them a lesson in stupidity.. [/B]
i have a stretch of water i would to see you clean for me next season...

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #13
Jim O

North Shore Bugs

The north shore covers a lot of very good lobstering . I live in Rockport for 17 years and did a lot of lobstering all around Cape Ann. First off it's getting late for inshore lobstering . This time of the year they move offshore into much deeper waters 100ft + and it can get pretty rough out there now of course you can still have some FAC days but thier are never on the weekends . Iwould still get some bugs around Dry Salvages until late Dec and with the mild winter so far they may still be there. The other area is the area between Thatchers Island and the south endof tpown ,find the deep water . Connollys in Gloucester is where I got my bait the best for late season bugs was always flounder racks about $5 a bucket
I would hit the end of Bearskin Neck with your field Glasses to look for pots before I put in.
April the inshore fishing starts but so do the damn divers, now to any divers out there I will agree not all divers raid pots BUT a sh** load do. When you watch the bubbles go from pot to pot thats when I wish I had some M80's (sorry about the rant).
Start with the flounder racks and switch over to herring by June. Any of the coves on Cape Ann hold bugs all summer . There are a few good humps outside of Gloucester Har and down Magnolia way . Just watch for the sets so you don't cross anybodys lines and work the edges of the sets and the commercial guys should leave you alone -get in the middle and you could loose a few pots.
#^&#^&#^&#^&ie Winchesters in Gloucester has all the gear you could use should you need to fix or replace anything. Good luck and watch your feet in the lines.
Jim O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:08 AM   #14
Notaro
None

Re: North Shore Bugs

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim O
The north shore covers a lot of very good lobstering . I live in Rockport for 17 years and did a lot of lobstering all around Cape Ann. First off it's getting late for inshore lobstering . This time of the year they move offshore into much deeper waters 100ft + and it can get pretty rough out there now of course you can still have some FAC days but thier are never on the weekends . Iwould still get some bugs around Dry Salvages until late Dec and with the mild winter so far they may still be there. The other area is the area between Thatchers Island and the south endof tpown ,find the deep water . Connollys in Gloucester is where I got my bait the best for late season bugs was always flounder racks about $5 a bucket
I would hit the end of Bearskin Neck with your field Glasses to look for pots before I put in.
April the inshore fishing starts but so do the damn divers, now to any divers out there I will agree not all divers raid pots BUT a sh** load do. When you watch the bubbles go from pot to pot thats when I wish I had some M80's (sorry about the rant).
Start with the flounder racks and switch over to herring by June. Any of the coves on Cape Ann hold bugs all summer . There are a few good humps outside of Gloucester Har and down Magnolia way . Just watch for the sets so you don't cross anybodys lines and work the edges of the sets and the commercial guys should leave you alone -get in the middle and you could loose a few pots.
#^&#^&#^&#^&ie Winchesters in Gloucester has all the gear you could use should you need to fix or replace anything. Good luck and watch your feet in the lines.
thats my spot, jim o... a lot of baits there. csc, go to winchester. they are good people there. i cna get my gears for a discount from my dad's friends in commerical fishing circle. if u need an extra or so, let me know
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:31 AM   #15
metallip

bugs

right under the throgsneck bridge on the south side
metallip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:35 AM   #16
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Chef, not dissing your boy, but maybe he was laying his gear over the other guys, that'll get ya cut for sure..

TLap.. PM me the where.... I may be wishing the same for the same spot... just abit outside my normal tour route....

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #17
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Bryan, we are probably thinking the same stretch of rocks. i spent a lot of time there this year, as did you. still suprised we never ran into each other.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:39 AM   #18
cheferson

He defiently wasnt laying his gear over others Rock
Old 12-10-2004, 11:52 AM   #19
zacs
D'oh

Chef, having grown up in SK, I know and have known many lobstermen. There are some A-holes, just like in any profession, but for the most, they are a respectable bunch of guys. How does your friend know in was comms cuting his traps? Could it be angry recs that are getting their rigs hung up? Could it be gagoon boaters running them over? Could it be reckless teens with nothing better to do? Could it be theft? I think that making generalziations like this without backup is pretty rude. UNLESS he has backup. If so, then nevermind.

_Z_

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:03 PM   #20
cheferson

I dont really care, but i trust he knows what he was talking about and wouldnt BS as his friends are comm lobstermen.I rephrase that from comm to random a-hole

Last edited by cheferson; 12-10-2004 at 01:19 PM..
Old 12-10-2004, 12:20 PM   #21
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

" spent a lot of time there this year, as did you. still suprised we never ran into each other."

Cause June-Sept I work most fri and sat nights
friggin weekend warriors

And chef I dont care either, just put my 0.02 in cause I some Comms, I dont care who, when or why his pots got cut..

Bryan

Old 12-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #22
Vectorfisher

Jim O you are obviously too close to the diver if you can see his/her bubbles, and secondly a lot guys including myself like to follow a pot line out and back in saves me from continously stopping and looking at my compass, I cover a lot more ground this way and No I don't raid pots. Theres plenty of lobsters on the ocean floor absolutely no need to raid someones pots.
Vectorfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:01 PM   #23
Jim O

bugs

Please note I said not all divers raid pots but when I could sit on my deck and watch them with my field glasses thier not using them as a compass, and I don't think the lobsters have figured out how to open the pots I'm sure if they did they would close them . Like I said not all do it but when you only come up open and empty on the wekends you kinda figure it out. I liveed in Folly cove that still sees sometimes up to 50-60 divers a day on the weekends. What can you say we have morons that poach stripers , there are idiots in every sport than god we just compete against the fish and not the Pacers.
Jim O is offline   Reply With Quote