Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
FishermanTim

fiscal crisis....

With a pending resolution looming, temporary as it may be, here's my question:

Which jackass will be the first to "claim" victory?
Who will it be, since we certainly don't have a victory because these jackholes are still in power!

Funny how with the growing scope of government shutdowns hanging over our collective heads, not once EVER did these useless POS's even consider not taking their pay.

Regardless of the outcome I still think the ALL need to go!
They don't need to leave (government) but they can't stay here (the USA)!!!!

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
spence

Whitehouse had already said there are no winners.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

They have opted to allow 986 billion as opposed to the 1 trillion to be spent until February. 14 billion not borrowed woop de doo
Old 10-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
cynical but accurate.....the government continues to operate without a budget...Americans will continue to suffer the consequences of yet another ill conceived mammoth social program and bureaucrats will continue to assume more power over the lives of ordinary individuals...we will continue to fall deeper into debt until the next debt ceiling negotiations which will, of course, simply be about "paying for what we've already overspent and not really spending more".....you could construe that the Whitehouse and Reid are negotiation "winners" but only loosely, if you are a parasite and you're killing the host..are you a ....."winner"?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Politically, it's a short-term win for the Democrats. In the long term, it's a loss for all of us who will be alive when the debt, combined with impossible entitlements to the Baby Boomers, collapse the economy, in about 15 - 20 years.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
Fishpart
Keep The Change

More tyranny designed to keep the ruling class in power.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
buckman

Quote:
I heard what the President said in regards to that. That was another immature cheap shot at Republicans, who by the way, I am totally disgusted with for being spineless. Not all of them…
I believe the" tea party "will be stronger as a result of what happened
Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
cynical but accurate.....the government continues to operate without a budget...Americans will continue to suffer the consequences of yet another ill conceived mammoth social program and bureaucrats will continue to assume more power over the lives of ordinary individuals...we will continue to fall deeper into debt until the next debt ceiling negotiations which will, of course, simply be about "paying for what we've already overspent and not really spending more".....you could construe that the Whitehouse and Reid are negotiation "winners" but only loosely, if you are a parasite and you're killing the host..are you a ....."winner"?
Yup, same old same old with this Administration, lead from behind, let a crisis develop with time running out, then kick the can down the road.
Great intellectual problem solving.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Nebe

You guys realize that Obama is spending less Money than any president since Eisenhower?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
You guys realize that Obama is spending less Money than any president since Eisenhower?
Nebe, get your facts straight.

The % increase of spending under Obama is less than any president since Ike.

We're still spending a lot, but considering the spending vector was set before he took office the statement is still significant.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Nebe

Well. You get my point.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
buckman

Quote:
Huh?
I know we're bringing in more revenue than ever before !
Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Spence has said that it's a felony to spend government funds not approved by congress. So, then, it would not be that Obama is spending less, nor that Eisenhower did, nor that any President in between didn't. So the Congress may be spending less of a percentage, as Spence points out, but that is aided by the sequester which Obama said would be a disaster.

And, as Spence says, we are still spending a lot. I think that is his way, from a middle perspective, of saying we are spending too much.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Well. You get my point.
There was no real point., Obama is spending more than any President in the history oif our country, by far.

If you want to put his face on Mt Rushmore because his 'precentage increase in spending' is lower than some ofther...that's because Obama's baseline is so much higher.

If George Washington spent $100,000 in his first year, then $200,000 in his second year, that's a 100% increase. If Obama spends $3 trillion one year and $3.1 trillion the next year, that's a 3.3% inbcrease.

Does that make Obama a fiscal hawk? Hardly.

The other question is, what has he done with that money? Was it well spent?

Unemployment is still well above average...for those who are working, median wages are down about 8%. Our debt is several trillions higher than it was before he got elected...he has done nothing to address entitlement funding. Almost a trillion on a stimulus that was supposed to galvanize "shovel ready" jobs, which did almost nohting.

The stock market made a big comeback. That's about the only level of improvement...and it's a development that most who voted for Obama would say is a bad thing, as it only helps Wall Street fatcats or some such nonsense...
Old 10-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
...that's because Obama's baseline is so much higher.
Very true, and not much he could do anything about either. President McCain would have had a much more attractive VP and the exact same issues...

-spence
Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
buckman

Quote:
Very true, and not much he could do anything about either. President McCain would have had a much more attractive VP and the exact same issues...

-spence
Wow!!! And you called me out for hypotheticals . As unhappy as I am with McCain right now , I'll have to call that a serious stretch of the imagination.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I believe the" tea party "will be stronger as a result of what happened
I think the Tea Party will come through this with severe but not life threatening injuries. Given the timing of the next election cycle the rift that opened in the GOP has been pulled wide for the likes of new moderate faces to start controlling the debate in the run up to 2016.

Cruz is a smart guy and hell bent on becoming POTUS. He's going to keep the fringe in the media spotlight and continue to erode what's left of party unity. He'll make it 1/2 through the primary then comes the big flush...

-spence
Old 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
buckman

Quote:
I think the Tea Party will come through this with severe but not life threatening injuries. Given the timing of the next election cycle the rift that opened in the GOP has been pulled wide for the likes of new moderate faces to start controlling the debate in the run up to 2016.

Cruz is a smart guy and hell bent on becoming POTUS. He's going to keep the fringe in the media spotlight and continue to erode what's left of party unity. He'll make it 1/2 through the primary then comes the big flush...

-spence
I wouldn't be surprised to see him run as some new third-party candidate. We need a better alternative then the two parties we have now
Old 10-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
Nebe

He will never become potus. Why? Because of his green eggs and ham episode. It will be used against him for eternity.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:

-spence
The stimulus bill couldn't be avoided?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Wow!!! And you called me out for hypotheticals . As unhappy as I am with McCain right now , I'll have to call that a serious stretch of the imagination.
It's not a hypothetical, most of Obama's deficit spending was baked...we've covered all this before.

-spence
Old 10-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see him run as some new third-party candidate. We need a better alternative then the two parties we have now
Likely ensuring a Clinton victory...

-spence
Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
buckman

Quote:
It's not a hypothetical, most of Obama's deficit spending was baked...we've covered all this before.

-spence
I missed that day in class I guess. Maybe the other students bought it
Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:

-spence
I don't know. Seems to me that every day, more people (not less) are aware of the fact that when you consider entitlement liabilities, we are almost $100 trillion in debt. More people, not less, are concerned with that, and all your side is doing on that issue is (1) increasing the debt at a record pace, and (2) demonizing anyone who dares to suggest that we have a problem here (evidenced by the honest and accurate commercials of Paul Ryan pushing a wheelchair-bound lady off a cliff).

The media has done a very good job at taking the Tea Party (those who feel that debt of $200,000 per American represents a 'problem') and portraying them as radicals and racists. That has kept the tea party somewhat marginalized. This shutdown will temporarily re-enforce that.

The time will come when even you, Spence, are going to have to admit that Paul Ryan had a point, and that we would have been better off had we listened to him.

Spence, when your kids graduate from college and are facing a Depression and federal income tax rates of 45%, and they ask you why our generation already spent every cent they will ever earn and then some, what are you going to say? That it was fair that we are dumping $100 trillion of debt in their laps? That we had no choice? That it's Sarah Palin's fault?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
spence

I love it, blame the media. Blame blame blame blame blame.

No mention of the fact that the Tea Party essentially shut the government down and has brought upon themselves more criticism from their own party than I've seen in a lifetime.

Have fun with candidate Cruz.

-spence
Old 10-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
buckman

Quote:
I love it, blame the media. Blame blame blame blame blame.

No mention of the fact that the Tea Party essentially shut the government down and has brought upon themselves more criticism from their own party than I've seen in a lifetime.

Have fun with candidate Cruz.

-spence
Lmao . You are precious .
What's this horrible "tea party" you speak of ?? You blame them for everything now. You spout off negativity about them every chance you get .
The guy whose picture you have on your bedroom ceiling is obsessed with Rush and the Fox network . Enough to go on illegal witch hunts . Talk about blaming news !!!!
I
Old 10-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
spence

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...y.html?hpid=z1

Wrut Wro.

-spence
Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
buckman

Quote:
I stopped reading when they called them the "Taliban minority "
Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #29
Fly Rod

Spence...who do we blame for the 2004 shut down by the Dems....the same Dems that were aganist raising the debt then, R belly aching now....the only difference between then and now we had a Republican for a president then and now a Democrat...how people forget...and now U have the far left radicals want the leaders of the gop to go on trial....will never happen
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #30
PaulS

cost was est. at $25B.