Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 02-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #1
FishermanTim

Weymouth is a joke.

Fireman post online his feeling/opinion about drug users that are consistent relapse candidates. To paraphrase, he said that they treat these OD idiots with Narcam(?) to save their lives only to get called back again and again to "save" the same losers over and over again. He alluded to the fact that they are usually back on heroin as soon as they get back.

The city has punished him with a 90 day unpaid suspension.

Which is worse?
A fireman/paramedic who deals with these same POS day after day and finally has had enough and ONLY post his frustration online?
Or worthless leaders that follow the useless ideal that if they treat a drug addict with drugs that don't cure them but only perpetuate the addiction and claim they are doing good for the community, and penalize anyone that speaks the absolute truth?

This story only lowers my opinion about Weymouth and those that are in control. I mean, really? Who better to comment on the addiction issue than those that see the same useless addicts day after day with nothing changing?

This guy should be applauded for his honesty instead of penalized for "supposedly" offending someone (probably a drug addict and "it's" drug family.)

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Tim I agree! He is at the very least entitled to his opinion! The man does his job regardless so no issue there! I see no need of a 90 day unpaid suspension...........if he was caught driving drunk I bet he would get less! Its just stupidity!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
BEETLE

Sad day for the 1st Amendment. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Lived in Weymouth (Brockton by the sea) all my 57 yrs. - can't sell & move the F out quick enough.
It will be like Randolph in another 10 yrs.

Now will I be suspended from this site for voicing my thoughts ??
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

ya Beetle, that will get you an infraction for bashing Weymouth, I mean Brockton

that is a shame the guy loses for speaking his mind, actually it's insane.

get a lawyer a claim he is the victim maybe, If it were me I would have a real hard time with that.

maybe a campaign of support for him would get the town to back off
get Howie Carr on it

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Worst part is they swear at you after you hit them with Narcan and save their lives by wrecking the high...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #6
BEETLE

Guess the way things are now in our new pussified, politically correct society, if you are a public servant, you give up your 1st amendment rights to free speech.
No wonder Trump is doing so well.

Problem is Slip, with lawyering up, is he is a Union Fireman, and looks like the local was OK with the suspension.
He never said he would not carry out his duties, just voiced his opinion that it made no sense.

Last edited by BEETLE; 02-02-2016 at 09:30 AM..
Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
vineyardblues

I hate to even comment on this but,,,, Saving lives matter
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETLE View Post
Sad day for the 1st Amendment. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Lived in Weymouth (Brockton by the sea) all my 57 yrs. - can't sell & move the F out quick enough.
It will be like Randolph in another 10 yrs.

Now will I be suspended from this site for voicing my thoughts ??

Steve.
I grew up on Randolph my school years, haven't lived there since 1982, but my parents still live there, so I know better than most.
And get to right, it's Ranberry, Rattapan, or Rockton, take your pick.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
BEETLE

LOL Ron.
VB - Ya OK Saving Lives Matters, even if they get released from the Hospital after being SAVED and get another fix. The guy had no intention of NOT doing his job, the point was he is obviously NOT entitled to an opinion.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
vineyardblues

Todays world is a changing ,,,,
GPS in phones, Gps in almost all the cars ,new mico chips in your credit cards,internet tracking on your every word , pictures across the world in seconds.
Only Donald Trump can say stuff like that and get away with it for some reason?
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #11
BEETLE

We can ALL say what we want, not just Trump. That is if you don't mind not being "Politically Correct" or hurting someone's feelings.
It's called the right of free speech.

WTF - over....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f611ea3826288af746fb595cff8c919f.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	62475  

Last edited by BEETLE; 02-02-2016 at 02:51 PM..
Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
FishermanTim

What got me the most was the fact that this guy didn't have to exaggerate anything. As a "first responder" he sees exactly what goes down, and you can bet your sweet patootie that NONE of the decision makers would ever dream of seeing thing through his eyes.

They're too busy drumming up welfare voters and undocumented immigrant voters to stay in office. (Remember, all you need is a valid ID, not a valid citizen ID to register!)

The world of PC is the bane of our existence!

"Free Speech F***ing Matters"

Old 02-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #13
spence

http://www.wcvb.com/news/weymouth-fi...dicts/37746836

For someone who's supposed to be about saving lives to say something like this certainly doesn't make his department look pretty good. Wise to separate work and opinion when online...
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Hey look, I agree that this "addiction is a disease thing" and these people don't choose this life is all bull.. they chose to be addicts plain and simple. MOST (at least the ones that I have known personally) admit that they did in fact choose it and nobody stuck a needle in their arm.

BUT for a first responder to say "let the dirt bags die?" I mean you gotta admit that is problematic.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #15
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
We can ALL say what we want, not just Trump. That is if you don't mind not being "Politically Correct" or hurting someone's feelings.

WTF - over....
Well, no, actually you can't. The First Amendment means that they can't throw you in jail for expressing your opinion. Doesn't say anything about your employer suspending or firing you for what you say.

And let's think about this hypothetical. This guy is on his shift, and they respond to a "person in distress", and it's an OD. The addict dies as they're pulling up, and they can't revive him. What do you think happens when the next of kin finds out that this guy was first on the scene, and their phone starts ringing off the hook with calls from ambulance chasers?

The department can't let it slide. They're opening themselves up to liability if they don't do something.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #16
BEETLE

Point well taken Mike, forgot we're also in a very "litigant" society as well.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #17
spence

Quote:

WTF - over....
This is why I don't let my kids listen to Trump.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
And let's think about this hypothetical. This guy is on his shift, and they respond to a "person in distress", and it's an OD. The addict dies as they're pulling up, and they can't revive him. What do you think happens when the next of kin finds out that this guy was first on the scene, and their phone starts ringing off the hook with calls from ambulance chasers?

The department can't let it slide. They're opening themselves up to liability if they don't do something.
Spot on.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #19
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
BUT for a first responder to say "let the dirt bags die?" I mean you gotta admit that is problematic.
I agree that sounds problematic and the problem was handled so maybe it wasn't only because of political correctness but like MikeP said, clearly his frustration got to him, after all he is human.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #20
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Believe me, there are plenty of PI law firms who comb first responders' reports for leads to potential plaintiffs.

2-1/2 years or so a guy ran a stop sign in Marion and plowed into me on my bike. He wrecked the bike, and luckily, only wrecked my shoulder and not all of me. The ink on the accident report wasn't dry yet before I started getting mailings from law firms "specializing" in bicycle accidents.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #21
FishermanTim

Problem is that once the city/town made it a policy to spend whatever it takes to save the life of a drug addict they went down a path of no return.
They will have to budget for these expenses because you know the drug addicts can't afford anything but drugs, so the city/town eats the cost.
I wonder exactly how much of the annual budget is earmarked just for OD "prevention and treatment"?
Imagine how much less the TAXPAYING residents would save if they weren't paying for OD calls over and over again?

I understand how he might feel, and also understand that posting his feelings on a social media site (regardless of whether it's work orientated or personal because they are both public fodder) was a mistake.

Maybe he could try pulling a "Hillary" tactic regarding his post?

Old 02-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #22
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Problem is that once the city/town made it a policy to spend whatever it takes to save the life of a drug addict they went down a path of no return.
They will have to budget for these expenses because you know the drug addicts can't afford anything but drugs, so the city/town eats the cost.
I wonder exactly how much of the annual budget is earmarked just for OD "prevention and treatment"?
Imagine how much less the TAXPAYING residents would save if they weren't paying for OD calls over and over again?

I understand how he might feel, and also understand that posting his feelings on a social media site (regardless of whether it's work orientated or personal because they are both public fodder) was a mistake.

Maybe he could try pulling a "Hillary" tactic regarding his post?
my suggestion would be go to a town meeting and bring up a proposal to tap into the confiscated illegal drug money that is recovered during arrests and investigations etc. and use it for that purpose. Get rid of liberal judges who are too easy on drug dealers also, Just logical to me.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #23
stripermaineiac

PTSD not the crap people cry about because there other half broke up with them but the real thing where you see stuff all the time that no one should have to see and after a while the stupid stuff gets to you. You blow up and vent about it. you don't get punished for it you're supposed to get help from where you work. 27 yrs as a volunteer firefighter an 30 yr workin in a prison. Trust me I know. His Union rep needs his butt handed to him if it's let stand. Sad state of affairs all around.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #24
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The numbers are overwhelming.... Five overdoses called in for New Bedford first responders in...get this....five hours, yesterday. One was a 14 year old boy. Another was a five time overdose victim saved by narcan. FIVE times! I totally get the frustration, from all points of view.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #25
beamie

Sounds like this is a similar to being in the military. You can't speak out about politics and such while in uniform. Get out of the uniform yes its ok. If this fireman was off duty at the time and not disclosing himself as a FF then probably not an issue. If tweeted as a FF then that is the issue.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #26
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Sounds like this is a similar to being in the military. You can't speak out about politics and such while in uniform. Get out of the uniform yes its ok. If this fireman was off duty at the time and not disclosing himself as a FF then probably not an issue. If tweeted as a FF then that is the issue.
In a small town, you're not necessarily safe off duty. People who know you, and who know what you do, are all over the place, and even off duty, your actions can reflect negatively on the department. The perks of public sector employment have a price.

There was a cop in Bourne who got into deep #^&#^&#^&#^& with his chief for making drunken, racially themed cracks at another diner late at night in Leo's restaurant. He was heard by almost everyone in the place. The woman on the receiving end got up and left---someone else dimed him out. Not sure whether he got suspended or fired.