Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 04-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
MakoMike

For clammer

April 3, 2020 — Jody King’s hands usually dry out from salt water after a day of work on Narragansett Bay, where he rakes quahogs for a living from the sandy bottom around Prudence Island.

Now, King’s hands dry out from using too much Purell.

His last day of steady quahogging was more than a week ago, when his dealer called to say he couldn’t buy any more clams. These days, King sits at home, waiting for a call to return to work.

With restaurants shuttered and fish markets in Boston, New York and other East Coast cities closed because of the spread of coronavirus, quahoggers like King have been left with no demand for their product.

“The bay is open, and I can’t go to work,” said King. “This is an absolute first.”

Andrade’s Catch in Bristol usually buys 4,000 to 6,000 clams a day from quahoggers, but after the wholesale business collapsed the shop could only move 1,000 pieces a day selling retail to locals.

“We could make it another month, a month and a half like this, but the fishermen are really at risk,” said Davy Andrade, a part-time owner of the shop. “It takes about $200 a day to run a boat and pay the bills and feed their family, and these guys are pulling in $100 a day if they’re lucky.”

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

The Clamming Economy is terrible and tough. A lot of work, crappy dealers, pricing, competition, high costs.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
Clammer

but it could be a lot worse ……….I could be still going to a catholic school , or I could have saved sex until the GOLDERN years , or I could have NOT held confessions # J/W every Friday afternoon & I wouldn,t have gotten all the leads I did , I may have not met my wife /the best thing that was ever in my life , I could have had a bigger nose > then I never would have got near those c its , I could have been taller then that would have meant I stole the wrong size clothes // I,m in deep #^&#^&#^&#^& if I run out of meds // I could be drinking [again] …….. arhh this could take forever . But I could have missed this site & not met some of the best people on the planet &&&&&&&&&& for all of this I am forever thankful

Last edited by JohnR; 04-06-2020 at 09:13 AM..

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Sea Dangles

I have meds Clammer. Lmk
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
l.i.fish.in.vt

Clammer,do you know if Jody King is Greg Kings {RIP} son?
l.i.fish.in.vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
but it could be a lot worse ……….I could be still going to a catholic school , or I could have saved sex until the GOLDERN years , or I could have NOT held confessions # J/W every Friday afternoon & I wouldn,t have gotten all the leads I did , I may have not met my wife /the best thing that was ever in my life , I could have had a bigger nose > then I never would have got near those clits , I could have been taller then that would have meant I stole the wrong size clothes // I,m in deep #^&#^&#^&#^& if I run out of meds // I could be drinking [again] …….. arhh this could take forever . But I could have missed this site & not met some of the best people on the planet &&&&&&&&&& for all of this I am forever thankful
be happy for what we have Mike. I'm laid off also.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
but it could be a lot worse ……….I could be still going to a catholic school , or I could have saved sex until the GOLDERN years , or I could have NOT held confessions # J/W every Friday afternoon & I wouldn,t have gotten all the leads I did , I may have not met my wife /the best thing that was ever in my life , I could have had a bigger nose > then I never would have got near those c its , I could have been taller then that would have meant I stole the wrong size clothes // I,m in deep #^&#^&#^&#^& if I run out of meds // I could be drinking [again] …….. arhh this could take forever . But I could have missed this site & not met some of the best people on the planet &&&&&&&&&& for all of this I am forever thankful

And if you need something let me know - I will drive by at 80MPH and throw it out the window

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #8
Clammer

Vermont .I know his brother died in the station Fire ><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote