Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Flaptail

Smile Iraq solution

Joe Biden, whose mouth in motion before brain in gear syndrome usually nails him before he can make any sense actually has the solution to Iraq. Seperate the country into three states with a loose affiliation. Kurds in the North, Sunnis in the central part and Shiites in the south.

Forget democracy, these are and will always be tribal states.

Bingo, pack your bags boys were goin home!

Why even try.........
Old 05-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
Joe Biden, whose mouth in motion before brain in gear syndrome usually nails him before he can make any sense actually has the solution to Iraq. Seperate the country into three states with a loose affiliation. Kurds in the North, Sunnis in the central part and Shiites in the south.

Forget democracy, these are and will always be tribal states.

Bingo, pack your bags boys were goin home!

He's been saying this for as while. Problems is the Turks are against it, as are Jordan, Syria, Saudis, and Iran - all the neighbors . It has gone so far as different Iraqui factions trying to work out who would get what Oil control... Wonder if balkanization will work in Iraq... WTF - tried (often too late) everything else...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Wink

Um, Steve, that isn't exactly NEW thinking. This was proposed by others well before Biden took to the screen.

I think Sen. Biden plagiarized again.

The HARD part is ... how do you divvy up the oil wealth equitably?

Old 05-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
spence

Biden has referenced the Peter Galbraith book "End of Iraq" which I've read, and would suggest as great background.

The plan would include a loose federation to divide oil revenues in a more equal manner, not just based on geography. Obviously this has problems of it's own, but no solution is perfect.

-spence
Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Biden has referenced the Peter Galbraith book "End of Iraq" which I've read, and would suggest as great background.

The plan would include a loose federation to divide oil revenues in a more equal manner, not just based on geography. Obviously this has problems of it's own, but no solution is perfect.

-spence
hehe... yea great background reading from such a well rounded thinker open to such a free flow of ideas on this subject. First lets put the whole title of the book out there so everyone can see it.

"The End of Iraq: How American Incompetence Created a War Without End "

Second, this guy has an undying love for the Kurds and has been stumping for their 'independence' for years. In 2003, he resigned from U.S. government after 24 years of service in order to be able to criticize U.S. Iraq policy more freely.

Nothing like a fresh unbiased opinion.

(disclaimer... Bill Maher and Keith Olberman LOVED this book.)

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 05-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Skitterpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
hehe... yea great background reading from such a well rounded thinker open to such a free flow of ideas on this subject. First lets put the whole title of the book out there so everyone can see it.

Second, this guy has an undying love for the Kurds and has been stumping for their 'independence' for years. In 2003, he resigned from U.S. government after 24 years of service in order to be able to criticize U.S. Iraq policy more freely.

You justify G with this

Good health and family
Old 05-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
spence

Quote:

Did you read it?

-spence
Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
mosholu
Mosholu

With Tony Blair set to annouce the day he will step down next week it will be interesting to see if the Labour party and Gordon Brown (the new PM) will backtrack on the Iraq policy and pull the British troops out. There will be considerable public pressure to begin withdrawals as the lack of stated clarity about what the mission's goals and how to achieve them is putting a lot of pressure on the Labour government to disengage before the next general election. Probably not a shocker but it does place the Conservative Party in the unusual position of taking a policy line opposite to the US for the first time in any one's memory.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 AM   #9
Bronko

Quote:
Did you read it?

-spence
Nah, just a cursory inspection and some research on it when it came out. I am backed up right now with books, I'll get to it after the fishing season.

I am Currrently reading 'America Alone" by Mark Steyn. This book is wild, I cannot put it down.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 05-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
Raven

all i know is

that each british squad should have received an inflatable prince harry
Old 05-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #11
Nebe

aparently bush was planning solutions for Iraq in 2000. hmm
http://www.gnn.tv/articles/article.php?id=761
Old 05-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Nah, just a cursory inspection and some research on it when it came out. I am backed up right now with books, I'll get to it after the fishing season.
Cursory inspection? You mean you read the cover? What do they say about that?

It's a fantastic book.

-spence
Old 05-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
Bronko

Quote:
Cursory inspection? You mean you read the cover? What do they say about that?

It's a fantastic book.

-spence
Go catch a fish.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Go catch a fish.
Or are you going to argue that the war was ran in a competent manner? Or that that we've created a situation with an easy exit?

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. The fact that the author is quite credible shouldn't make a difference either I'm sure

And no fishing tonight. I blew out my back landscaping this morning and it's all I can do to put a shine on my brown C&J monkstraps for my business trip tomorrow...that airplane seat is going to be hell.

I just keep telling myself at least I'm not F18. This will be over in a few weeks if I go easy

-spence
Old 05-07-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
Bronko

Quote:
Or are you going to argue that the war was ran in a competent manner? Or that that we've created a situation with an easy exit?

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. The fact that the author is quite credible shouldn't make a difference either I'm sure

And no fishing tonight. I blew out my back landscaping this morning and it's all I can do to put a shine on my brown C&J monkstraps for my business trip tomorrow...that airplane seat is going to be hell.

I just keep telling myself at least I'm not F18. This will be over in a few weeks if I go easy

-spence
The war is a complete mess. There absolutely is NO easy exit strategy.

Hope the back feels better soon.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
EarnedStripes44

We should withdraw and let them just duke it out, all testimonial to the fact we should of stayed out of there in the first place, but debating whether or not we should'a is water under the bridge. Eventually, they (Iraqi's) will just get tired of fighting (i.e. the balkans) and that way a homegrown solution will arise. It sucks, but its what we get for electing incompetent leaders. We'll pay in the end.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #17
striperman36
Old Guy

This is a very interesting book on how we are dealing with the decisions post-wwI in this area. I highly recommend it if you are a history buff.

http://www.amazon.com/Churchills-Fol...4269452&sr=8-1

As Britain's colonial secretary in the 1920s, Winston Churchill made a mistake with calamitous consequences. Scholar and adviser to Tony Blair's government, Christopher Catherwood chronicles and analyzes how Churchill created the artificial monarchy of Iraq after World War I, thereby forcing together unfriendly peoples under a single ruler. The map of the Middle East that Churchill created led to the rise of Saddam Hussein and the wars in which American troops fought in 1991 and 2003. Defying a global wave of nationalistic sentiment, and the desire of subject peoples to rule themselves, Winston Churchill put together the broken pieces of the Ottoman Empire and created a Middle Eastern powder keg. Inducing Arabs under the rule of the Ottoman Turks to rebel against their oppressors, the British and French during World War I convinced the Hashemite clan that they would rule over Syria. In fact, Britain had promised the territory to the French. To make amends, Churchill created the nation of Iraq and made the Hashemite leader, Feisel, king of a land to which he had no connections at all. Eight pages of photographs add to this fascinating history on Churchill's decision and the terrible legacy of the Ottoman Empire's collapse.