Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Hypocrisy

I come before you, my friends, to defend Republicans against charges that they are unprincipled, two-faced hypocrites.
Pointy-headed coastal elitists, with all sorts of useless book learning that real Americans don’t need, have been arguing that when it comes to impeachment, the POT (that’s Party of Trump) is calling the kettle black. They accuse the Republicans of inconsistency and insincerity in ways that go far beyond a Republican member of Congress who was once arrested for drunk driving bringing up the fact that a crack pipe was once found in a car rented by Hunter Biden.
Here’s what the usual suspects — you know, the human scum, traitors and enemies of the people — are saying. They point out that Republicans fervently denounce the mythical Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election and then turn around and argue that President Trump has the right — nay, the obligation — to demand Ukrainian interference in the 2020 election.
These globalist clowns note that some of the very same Republicans who now accuse Democrats of wanting to impeach Trump from the start were intent on impeaching President Barack Obama from the start. National Review writer Andrew McCarthy, now a stalwart defender of Trump, once wrote a book called “Faithless Execution: Building the Case for Obama’s Impeachment.” He even advocated the impeachment of Hillary Clinton before the 2016 election.
Some lightweight, very low I.Q. individuals even have the audacity to point out that the Republicans who now think that compliance with House subpoenas is strictly optional once held Obama’s attorney general, Eric Holder, in contempt of Congress for failing to comply with House subpoenas. In 2012, then-Rep. Trey Gowdy (R.-S.C.) sternly said, “The notion that you could withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you’re the party in power or not in power is wrong.” This year, Gowdy is singing a different tune: “Congress as a coequal branch of government can ask for whatever they want to ask for,” the former congressman told Fox News. “Now it doesn’t mean you have to show up, and it doesn’t mean you have to talk, and it doesn’t mean you have to produce documents.”
No Republican has been as widely mocked by the losers and haters as Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), one of the House impeachment managers during the Senate trial of Bill Clinton in 1999. Today, he says: “A sad, ridiculous sham in the U.S. House of Representatives. This needs to come to a quick end.” Back then he was urging the “ladies and gentlemen of the United States Senate” to “have a trial in its true sense of the word.” Back then, too, Graham said, “You do not even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if this body determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role.” Now Republicans argue that Trump can’t be impeached because he isn’t accused of a crime.
One Republican even contends that it’s “really sad” to see Democrats trying to impeach Trump “on the eve of Christmas.” That would be former speaker Newt Gingrich, who led House Republicans in impeaching Bill Clinton six days before Christmas 1998.
Oh, I know this looks bad. It looks like Republicans have no principles and no core beliefs. But there you are wrong, my friends. They do have a principle. Here it is: Whatever helps the Republican Party is good. Whatever hurts the Republican Party is bad. To understand the modern GOP, you don’t have to study unitary executive theory, supply-side economics, Burkean philosophy or anything else. All you have to do is remember those 14 words.
Once you understand that is Republicans’ sole philosophy, everything else clicks into place. It explains how Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R.-Ky.) could refuse to grant Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland a hearing because 2016 was an election year while readily admitting that if there is a Supreme Court vacancy in 2020, “Oh we’d fill it.” It explains how Republicans could excoriate “King Obama” for ruling by executive order and yet vote to uphold Trump’s decision to declare a “state of emergency” so he could spend money on a border wall that Congress didn’t appropriate. It explains why Attorney General William P. Barr can advocate nearly unlimited presidential power when Republicans are under attack but not when Democratic presidents are being targeted.
Logic, fact, morality, legality, ideology: All of it is irrelevant in understanding the Party of Trump. Republicans have made crystal clear that nothing matters to them other than partisanship. And if you don’t like it, that’s probably a sign that you have an “anger management problem.” You should, Trump suggests, “chill.” Or, as acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney says, “Get over it.” Because they’re not changing, no matter how embarrassing and ridiculous their reversals become in the eyes of the “Radical Left, Do Nothing Dems” and the “Fake News Media.”
Max Boot OpEd in the WaPo

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

Thanks for sharing this meaningful opinion today.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Jim in CT

a very balanced piece, a lesson in non partisanship.

Pete, we get it.

liberal=good, conservative =bad. Everything you post, as well as spence and wayne, can be boiled down to that. We get it already.

Meanwhile i asked you to specify what American institutions are in danger, you came up with zilch.

And I’m going to be able to retire at least a year earlier thanks to this economy. So forgive me if I’m willing to accept the fact that he’s a jerk.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
Sea Dangles

Christmas bonus and share payouts will be extremely generous this year. But you knew that.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #5
scottw

I'm just impressed he spelled hypocrisy correctly....I'm always impressed when a leftist here spells a multi-syllable word correctly...wait...he probably cut and pasted it
Old 12-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I'm just impressed he spelled hypocrisy correctly....I'm always impressed when a leftist here spells a multi-syllable word correctly...wait...he probably cut and pasted it
No doubt he was up all night studying
Old 01-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Watch Lindsey Graham interview in 1999 about the importance of witnesses in a senate impeachment trial and his comments yesterday and you have one the most clear pictures of hypocrisy and how far up Trumps arse these guys are. Bitch, bitch, bitch about no first hand testimony and here you have the chance and you don’t want to hear. Swear in front of god and country you will be impartial, go ahead guys I dare you to live up to that oath.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
scottw

quit whining.....
Old 01-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Tell me Scott, since he was impeached in the house and has claimed all along he did nothing wrong, why not call Bolton and others who do have that first hand knowledge. If he is innocent he can prove it, to me it appears to be politics for these senators, they have made the calculation that if they continue to protect a Trump, their chances of getting re-elected are greater.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Tell me Scott, since he was impeached in the house and has claimed all along he did nothing wrong, why not call Bolton and others who do have that first hand knowledge. If he is innocent he can prove it, to me it appears to be politics for these senators, they have made the calculation that if they continue to protect a Trump, their chances of getting re-elected are greater.
the house impeachment is a freakin' joke....no need to entertain this stupidity any longer....that's why
Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Boot licker answer, predictable.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #12
spence

Especially considering the new emails show Trump new it was illegal and the DoJ worked to cover it up.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Especially considering the new emails show Trump new it was illegal and the DoJ worked to cover it up.
then impeach him again, and send it to the senate.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #14
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Coffee Jeff?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #15
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
then impeach him again, and send it to the senate.
I wonder how many times they will impeach him?
Old 01-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
I wonder how many times they will impeach him?
well let’s see, they may well
have approximately 5 more years, that potentially a lot of impeachments. .
Old 01-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #17
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
the house impeachment is a freakin' joke....no need to entertain this stupidity any longer....that's why
Apparently it’s not a joke, I’m pretty sure being only three presidents to be impeached, means Trump isn’t laughing about it. So let me ask again and since you feel it’s just a joke, if nothing wrong was done, if you have nothing to hide, why have all the documents and first hand witnesses been blocked? Bolton, Mulvaney, budget witnesses and documents would bury him deeper in this corrupt plan. Politics and desperation at it’s finest.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #18
detbuch

Quote:
Apparently it’s not a joke, I’m pretty sure being only three presidents to be impeached, means Trump isn’t laughing about it. So let me ask again and since you feel it’s just a joke, if nothing wrong was done, if you have nothing to hide, why have all the documents and first hand witnesses been blocked? Bolton, Mulvaney, budget witnesses and documents would bury him deeper in this corrupt plan. Politics and desperation at it’s finest.
I don't understand why a defendant should provide anything that he is not required to do. No lawyer would tell his client to do such a thing. No matter how innocent a document might be, there's no telling how it could be used to falsely color or strengthen any other circumstantial evidence. It is to be assumed that if Congress impeaches, it already has the evidence it needs. If it doesn't, then there should be no impeachment.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #19
scottw

Quote:
boot licker why would anyone cooperate with disgruntled democraps engaged in a coup attempt...it's more fun to make them look like fools and they appear happy to oblige

trump appears anything but desperate....democraps on the other hand...good grief
Old 01-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #20
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Boy are you two drunk on the cool aid, all the bitching about second hand testimony and now when you have the opportunity to get the first hand testimony, Moscow Mitch and Hypocriit Lindsey say our minds our made up don’t confuse us with the truth.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #21
scottw

it's over....get over it....we're moving on to killing terrorists, keeping the economy cranking along and 4 more years of making america great again...democraps and their media accomplices can mourn the death of terrorists and apologize to dictatorships for hurting their feelings if they would like, I'm sure it's going over well with American voters.....have you seen that sad democrat field ???
Old 01-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
it's over...we're moving on to killing terrorists, keeping the economy cranking along and 4 more years of making america great again...democraps and their media accomplices can mourn the death of terrorists and apologize to dictatorships for hurting their feelings if they would like, I'm sure it's going over well with American voters.....have you seen that sad democrat field ???
Iran is attacking US military stations in Iraq with multiple missiles, right now.

There is an upside to killing this guy. This is the downside.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #23
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I hope your prepared to morn to loss of America servicemen and women, because it’s begun with Iran launching a dozen surface to air missiles at Al-Asad airbase.

It’s not over until the American people and not one party in control say it’s over. If you think Trump bringing his impeachment badge of honor and now the Iran war to the 2020 campaign is a winning formula, you really need to consider giving up that coolaid as a New Years resolution.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #24
scottw

Quote:

I hope your prepared to morn to loss of America servicemen and women,
you understand the guy we killed, it was his job to plan to kill American servicemen and women among others...right?
Old 01-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
I hope your prepared to morn to loss of America servicemen and women, because it’s begun with Iran launching a dozen surface to air missiles at Al-Asad airbase.

It’s not over until the American people and not one party in control say it’s over. If you think Trump bringing his impeachment badge of honor and now the Iran war to the 2020 campaign is a winning formula, you really need to consider giving up that coolaid as a New Years resolution.
We've been doing mounrning the loss of Americans at the hands of Ira, for a long, long time. This isn't anywhere near the beginnnig, but its very, very scary, The regime might be committing suicide.

GS, what would you have done if you were POTUS, and you were told of an easy way to kill a guy who is estimated to be responsible for killing 600 American servicemen? You wouldn't have considered it?

Susan Rice said on TV that if her administration had that opportunty, they would have seriously considered it.

There are no easy answers, only awful ones, and that's not our doing.

Saying a lot of prayers tonight.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
you understand the guy we killed, it was his job to plan to kill American servicemen and women among others...right?
The left is acting like we fired an opening salvo, zero understanding that this guy has been killing Americans by the hundreds for years. That doesn/t mean it will be worth the escalation, but we didn't start this. It's not as simple as either side's mouthpieces are making it out to be.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #27
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
No fing sh*t #^&#^&#^&#^& Tracy, that doesn’t mean killing him was well thought out, I seriously doubt this knee jerk reactionary nut job, who now suddenly claims he believes his intelligence community (what no deep state), thought about the fallout.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:30 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
No fing sh*t #^&#^&#^&#^& Tracy, that doesn’t mean killing him was well thought out, .
and just because you are consumed with hatred for trump, doesn’t mean that nothing he does is well thought out.

I wish Mattis was still there.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #29
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The Jury is out, but while I have faith in our military, I fear the Trump has put them in more harm then would have had they not taken that drastic steep. I fear he will not allow diplomacy and cooler heads to bring the heat down before it gets out of control.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
The Jury is out, but while I have faith in our military, I fear the Trump has put them in more harm then would have had they not taken that drastic steep. I fear he will not allow diplomacy and cooler heads to bring the heat down before it gets out of control.
i completely agree the jury is out. and i’m sure we both agree that we hope there isn’t loss of life. which means we agree on a whole
lot, doesn’t it? Praying we
both soon look back on this with gratitude that it wasn’t as bad as it could have been , and i’m really praying hard that Trump is getting good advice from real experts, and that he’s listening to them.

we should draft Condaleeza Rice and General Mattis and force them
back into public service until
we’re through this.