Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 12-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #91
Guppy
User

One of my sons is fixin up his kitchen , thought he’d make new doors, add fascia with crown and spray paint water base lacquer.. uppers are done ( work in progress... :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	75235905-63A7-4C45-9CBB-60E2CAF6D329.jpeg
Views:	919
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	67535

Click image for larger version

Name:	4476394C-5D73-49C1-917B-0E6297F98926.jpeg
Views:	966
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	67536
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #92
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

ML Campbell is only paint or stain I would use for cabinets. Wife would go nuts when I was applying their laquer high gloss in our basement.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #93
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don’t know why you’re so anal with the cuts, can’t you caulk up to like a quarter inch?

Any time you want to rehab my 160 year old staircase just let me know.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Little putty, little paint, make it look like what it ain’t?
I don’t think he needs a good painter to make his work look good.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:22 AM   #94
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Its a microwave oven that opens like a drawer....goes in a base cabinet....lot of times in the island base ...food is top loaded.
WOW! Thank you. I have never seen one.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:41 AM   #95
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don’t know why you’re so anal with the cuts, can’t you caulk up to like a quarter inch?

Any time you want to rehab my 160 year old staircase just let me know.

I understand the sarcasm....you make a good point about what are acceptable standards. When I worked installing commercial woodwork for banks, libraries, country clubs etc...we used the AWI for settling that arguement. It spells out in great detail how this is judged, understanding full well that nothing is 100% perfect.
I have a good friend that rehabs hotels all over the country.....he was doing a final walk through inspection with the owners representative...when she started pointing out the small imperfections that could only be seen up close......he reminded her that the contract states that upon inspection only the imperfections clearly visable from five feet away need to be corrected.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:46 AM   #96
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
One of my sons is fixin up his kitchen , thought he’d make new doors, add fascia with crown and spray paint water base lacquer.. uppers are done ( work in progress... :-)

Attachment 67535

Attachment 67536

Nice work......I think there could be huge market for this kind of job right now.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:11 AM   #97
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Nice work......I think there could be huge market for this kind of job right now.

In your own kitchen, maybe. But as a contractor, with COVID going on, not so much. People want the work done, but no one wants you in their house. Nor do I want to be in their house. Difficult to shut down a kitchen for any amount of time with the restaurant situation.

Nice pics all around, gents.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #98
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Thank you, sir.

Your welcome..... what I find most usefull about this model is the spring loaded fine adjustment screw for the distance between the stylus and pencil.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #99
trevier

Quote:
To fit treads to the skirtboard....which is seldom going to be a perfect 90 degree cut...i cut them about half an inch longer...then scribe them. This gets the length and cut at once.
nice job. What I can't stand is cheap builders not putting in any humidifiers in a house then all the tight wood working shrinks outta sight. Baffles me all the time.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #100
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
WOW! Thank you. I have never seen one.
Sharp makes all of them. They even make one for Bosch. bought one about two weeks ago for my kitchen remodel. About $1,300.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:13 AM   #101
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevier View Post
nice job. What I can't stand is cheap builders not putting in any humidifiers in a house then all the tight wood working shrinks outta sight. Baffles me all the time.

Our walls and ceilings are skim coat plaster....that creates a lot of humidity.

We run one dehumidifier in the basement and one on first floor.
Heavy duty commercial units. Biggest problem can be new hardwood flooring s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g up moister after it gets installed. Also this time of year we get forced hot air heat running ahead of starting the finish....and let flooring acclimate for three days minimum.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 12-14-2020 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g is not a bad word now...is it?
Old 12-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #102
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Sharp makes all of them. They even make one for Bosch. bought one about two weeks ago for my kitchen remodel. About $1,300.
Pricey. Not in this house but maybe if I build again. Jeanne really wants a pool so that's where the discretionary income will go next year.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #103
Guppy
User

Quote:
Our walls and ceilings are skim coat plaster....that creates a lot of humidity.

We run one dehumidifier in the basement and one on first floor.
Heavy duty commercial units. Biggest problem can be new hardwood flooring s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g up moister after it gets installed. Also this time of year we get forced hot air heat running ahead of starting the finish....and let flooring acclimate for three days minimum.
Winter builds suck... :-)

Oak gets delivered right after plaster and raining...
We stacks the oak and wraps in a poly tent and adds a dehumidifier ,,,, checked it several times with the meter..

Gets a phone call at some point... hey Ray, the bottom of the slider is sliding out of the house... :-)
I guess I got the oak dry enough... LOL
Old 12-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #104
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

This is why I hate these TV shows that have to have a remodel done in a week, or some other outrageous time frame. I have had to tell clients that this is not a half hour TV show.... Sometimes the universe just speaks to us and says; Not happening today! Be it the heat, the moisture, the flooring that has to acclimate....or a sub that doesn't show or want to play ball.... it is an inexact science.

Or shipping! I just got my special order email on December 2 for the decking I need to finish the last 17 inches of my deck. Except they sent me more square edge and I want the grooved to continue. They still billed me for grooved and longer lengths I ordered, a 26% overcharge for the wrong order!!!! It's just been a special year....

Old 12-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #105
spence

Quote:
This is why I hate these TV shows that have to have a remodel done in a week, or some other outrageous time frame. I have had to tell clients that this is not a half hour TV show.... Sometimes the universe just speaks to us and says; Not happening today! Be it the heat, the moisture, the flooring that has to acclimate....or a sub that doesn't show or want to play ball.... it is an inexact science.

Or shipping! I just got my special order email on December 2 for the decking I need to finish the last 17 inches of my deck. Except they sent me more square edge and I want the grooved to continue. They still billed me for grooved and longer lengths I ordered, a 26% overcharge for the wrong order!!!! It's just been a special year....
Wait, you don’t have a 3D printer to mock up all your projects?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:10 AM   #106
Rmarsh

Quote:
This is why I hate these TV shows that have to have a remodel done in a week, or some other outrageous time frame. I have had to tell clients that this is not a half hour TV show.... Sometimes the universe just speaks to us and says; Not happening today! Be it the heat, the moisture, the flooring that has to acclimate....or a sub that doesn't show or want to play ball.... it is an inexact science.....
Ross...I cant watch those remodeling/building shows without laughing. Do people really think that crap is real? I recall an episode showing a homeowner preparing to sand their own hardwood floors......they start the big walk behind sander...like they're actually going to do it......camera cuts to machine running.....and sanding begins....thats when you can see a pair of work boots walking behind the machine that obviously belong to a seasoned professional. Lots of other fake stuff
Old 12-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #107
PaulS

Just knocked down the wall between my old kitchen and dining room and the beam put in. They had to move the 2 registers which were in the wall each facing a different room). They put them in the floors in front of the windows. Wife said she wished they were in the walls. I told her most new construction has them in the floors. Is it more common to put them in the wall or in the floor? Thanks
Old 12-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #108
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

All my forced hot air registers are in the floor, and are original to the house. If/when we add whole house AC, those will likely be in ceiling. When remodeling, it goes down the path of least resistance, then code and cost.... Tell her anything can be done for a price....

Old 12-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #109
PaulS

The 2 rooms have been demoed to the studs so if she wants something different, now is the time to do it. I'm also adding 1 registers to 2 different rooms upstairs.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #110
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Just knocked down the wall between my old kitchen and dining room and the beam put in. They had to move the 2 registers which were in the wall each facing a different room). They put them in the floors in front of the windows. Wife said she wished they were in the walls. I told her most new construction has them in the floors. Is it more common to put them in the wall or in the floor? Thanks
Not sure about Mass or Connecticut, but VT and NY both require ductwork outside the envelope to be insulated.
If you put the ductwork in the wall instead of insulation you pay to heat the outside air and also can have air leakage issues from the ductwork.

Here's a more lucid explanation.
https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/...place-put-duct

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #111
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Winter builds suck... :-)

Oak gets delivered right after plaster and raining...
We stacks the oak and wraps in a poly tent and adds a dehumidifier ,,,, checked it several times with the meter..

Gets a phone call at some point... hey Ray, the bottom of the slider is sliding out of the house... :-)
I guess I got the oak dry enough... LOL
We did 2500 sq ft of Bruce Hardwood, Oak a couple of years ago. We let it sit in the house for a week. It was summer and we had the central air running. No issues.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #112
PaulS

Thanks Ross and Pete.

I'll send that article to my wife.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #113
Pete F.
Canceled

She might take you down the healthy/efficiency rabbit hole and drive your contractor nuts.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #114
PaulS

Why not, she already drives me nuts.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:00 PM   #115
Hookedagain

Quote:
Ross...I cant watch those remodeling/building shows without laughing. Do people really think that crap is real? I recall an episode showing a homeowner preparing to sand their own hardwood floors......they start the big walk behind sander...like they're actually going to do it......camera cuts to machine running.....and sanding begins....thats when you can see a pair of work boots walking behind the machine that obviously belong to a seasoned professional. Lots of other fake stuff
This is worse than finding out Santa Claus isn't real.....these shows are not real?!?! I try to explain this to my wife when she thinks we can do a project in a weekend.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:03 AM   #116
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

When I interview with a new client(s) and find out they have not experienced a major renovation project like a kitchen or bath, I like to tell them there are two stages to such a project; Great anticipation, and Lord, when will this end?

Old 12-17-2020, 05:32 AM   #117
Rmarsh

Quote:
When I interview with a new client(s) and find out they have not experienced a major renovation project like a kitchen or bath, I like to tell them there are two stages to such a project; Great anticipation, and Lord, when will this end?

I like to ask them how they feel about dust........

Old 12-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #118
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
This is worse than finding out Santa Claus isn't real.....these shows are not real?!?! I try to explain this to my wife when she thinks we can do a project in a weekend.

So much fakery in the world...... when a potential customer gets their info about construction/remodeling from a TV show they are ill prepared for reality.
I remember my son at around 8 or 9 years old asking me if Santa was real.....I didnt want him to believe in something fake, and since he was asking.... he wanted the truth... I told him "No" and he responded with "I didnt think so".
Old 12-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #119
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
And for half the cost.....
Old 12-18-2020, 04:20 AM   #120
Rmarsh

Trimmed out the top of the closet by the front door to match.