Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 12-18-2020, 04:27 AM   #121
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Aw, man the stairway came out awesome.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:41 AM   #122
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Aw, man the stairway came out awesome.

Thanks Paul.......after having done so many, I still get a sense of satisfaction.... seeing the end results. Somewhere around 60-70 hours of labor..... no idea how many saw cuts.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:58 AM   #123
Rmarsh

[QUOTE=Rmarsh;1206357]Its a microwave oven that opens like a drawer....goes in a base cabinet....lot of times in the island base ...food is top loaded.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE/

Installed another MW drawer yesterday....the opening on the left is for a beverage cooler

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..
Old 12-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #124
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Trimmed out the top of the closet by the front door to match.

Just trimmed or did you drop some flooring as well? To complete the look when looking at it from that balcony? Or is it just a void inside the trim?

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:26 AM   #125
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
Just trimmed or did you drop some flooring as well? To complete the look when looking at it from that balcony? Or is it just a void inside the trim?

It is filled in with hardwood flooring.

Got some of the crew back on this job after working alone here for the last two weeks. I've been with this company going on 18 years, working with the same three guys....good carpenters.... the whole time. Two of us are close to retirement age....and with all the work we have it was a about time to hire another younger man to help. So for the last year or so the new kid (He's actually a grown man..but i'm at least forty years older) has been on the job learning to be a finish carpenter. I have been impressed with his progress and work ethic. Very respectfull and humble guy..... came here from Ecuador.....and wants to learn all he can.... it takes time. I've taught a lot of guys the basics over the years but I've taken it upon myself to show Luis .... stuff he hasn't quite figured out.......and some things I dont normally share. I feel good about it when he comes back later and sincerely thanks me.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #126
Hookedagain

Quote:
It is filled in with hardwood flooring.

Got some of the crew back on this job after working alone here for the last two weeks. I've been with this company going on 18 years, working with the same three guys....good carpenters.... the whole time. Two of us are close to retirement age....and with all the work we have it was a about time to hire another younger man to help. So for the last year or so the new kid (He's actually a grown man..but i'm at least forty years older) has been on the job learning to be a finish carpenter. I have been impressed with his progress and work ethic. Very respectfull and humble guy..... came here from Ecuador.....and wants to learn all he can.... it takes time. I've taught a lot of guys the basics over the years but I've taken it upon myself to show Luis .... stuff he hasn't quite figured out.......and some things I dont normally share. I feel good about it when he comes back later and sincerely thanks me.
Although it seems you are a bit older than myself, and most likely have been in the field much longer as well. I have been a finish carpenter or craftsman if you will for a long time as well. Having worked in several stair shops and being a stair installer for those companies I find great satisfaction when a stair (or any other job for that matter) is complete. But I especially have a feeling of satisfaction when I teach the younger generation a piece of the trade. I am having the pleasure of working with my son now as he is home from college and my boss hired him to be my right hand man. I also had him all summer. Its great teaching him...even more so because he wants to learn. Thanks for sharing the progress of your projects.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #127
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
Although it seems you are a bit older than myself, and most likely have been in the field much longer as well. I have been a finish carpenter or craftsman if you will for a long time as well. Having worked in several stair shops and being a stair installer for those companies I find great satisfaction when a stair (or any other job for that matter) is complete. But I especially have a feeling of satisfaction when I teach the younger generation a piece of the trade. I am having the pleasure of working with my son now as he is home from college and my boss hired him to be my right hand man. I also had him all summer. Its great teaching him...even more so because he wants to learn. Thanks for sharing the progress of your projects.
I too have greatly enjoyed teaching and passing on the knowledge, even just opening the door to the trade. I wish I could get my son back working with me. He lives here in town, at my ex's house and works for her husband's contracting company. (Had to send him away when I totaled my knee and knew I was out for a year.) I think her husband holds him hostage working for him, saying if he leaves he has to move out, pays him half of what I would be paying and certainly below what he's worth... It is complicated.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:38 AM   #128
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post

Its great that you are getting to work with and teach your son some valuable skills.....less and less of our kids are going into the building trades. Both of my boys went their own way vocationally and are doing fine. Getting closer to retiring now and I am feeling it's time to try to give it away to someone deserving.
As a 19 year old, I was lucky enough to have a knowledgeable and highly skilled mentor teach me stuff I still use now...decades later. I bump into him every once in a while and thank him sincerely for taking the time.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:02 AM   #129
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I too have greatly enjoyed teaching and passing on the knowledge, even just opening the door to the trade. I wish I could get my son back working with me. He lives here in town, at my ex's house and works for her husband's contracting company. (Had to send him away when I totaled my knee and knew I was out for a year.) I think her husband holds him hostage working for him, saying if he leaves he has to move out, pays him half of what I would be paying and certainly below what he's worth... It is complicated.

Ross....hopefully that situation will correct itself in time.
I worked with my dad on a few projects.... my parents inherited a fixer upper home when I was a teenager....and my dad... an electrical engineer needed a helper. My older brothers were already out of the house so it fell to me......It was not much fun. But when my dad figured out how to lay out and cut new stair stringers to the basement...I thought it was pretty cool. I bought him a cheap skillsaw that fathers day......now I realize that it was so I could use it.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #130
Hookedagain

Quote:
Its great that you are getting to work with and teach your son some valuable skills.....less and less of our kids are going into the building trades. Both of my boys went their own way vocationally and are doing fine. Getting closer to retiring now and I am feeling it's time to try to give it away to someone deserving.
As a 19 year old, I was lucky enough to have a knowledgeable and highly skilled mentor teach me stuff I still use now...decades later. I bump into him every once in a while and thank him sincerely for taking the time.
He is in college to be a biologist, a wildlife biologist actually. He loves the outdoors and the animals that live there. I explained to him that I want him to get his education, and work with his head. But he also should learn a trade as well. He really enjoys the finish work end of construction. He's young but grasps it well. Understanding the way things work is half the battle. I joke with him and tell him I don't want him to do this for a living, he needs to learn it so he doesn't call me every time he has a door that won't close of a stair that squeaks....he'll know what to do.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #131
Guppy
User

My three sons all got a hammer on their 14th birthday.... ;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #132
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Not a good thing for your son. Long term implications. You could be making such a difference for him. I'm sure it is complicated.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #133
trevier

Quote:
Trimmed out the top of the closet by the front door to match.
that front door needs a nice door surround.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #134
PaulS

Put eight four inch cans in the ceiling today and the wife came home and start screaming she wanted 3-in even though I told her last night they were four inch. Wait till I tell my Friend the electrician
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:47 AM   #135
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
My three sons all got a hammer on their 14th birthday.... ;-)
I had my son with me a lot during the summer months and anytime there was no school when he was young. I was working for myself building homes and would have him in tow instead of paying for daycare. At first...I would have him do small tasks for me... just to keep him busy. Then came one very hot summer...He was old enough now to really help and I had two good size houses to frame up. So I hired him and his cousin to be the laborers.

Many years later now and they still talk about how much they suffered in the heat and how I showed no mercy. That may have convinced them both that the job wasn't for them.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #136
Rmarsh

Another with the MW drawer in the island.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #137
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Another with the MW drawer in the island.
So I thought the move was to "linen" colored cabinents.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #138
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
So I thought the move was to "linen" colored cabinents.
That was from a few years ago....I did the install...but didnt remember until looking through old pics. I like the classic look of the cherry....its got a light stain on it I believe. Our buyers get to pick what they want for finishes...so it varies. I dont find out until I start opening the boxes.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:48 PM   #139
Guppy
User

Stain on cherry,,, sacrilege....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #140
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Stain on cherry,,, sacrilege....

I have a lot experience with cherry.

Good article on the subject

https://finishing.tips/finishing-cherry/
Old 12-27-2020, 07:39 AM   #141
Rmarsh

couple more kitchens.... second one is cherry. Many years ago I was building cherry kitchens from scratch....bought the rough cherry from Rex lumber..... thickness planed...then join edges, glue up panels, make face frames....stiles and rails....raised panel doors the entire job. Even made my own cherry crown with just a table saw.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #142
Rmarsh

Looking through my older pictures....hardly remember doing some of these.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #143
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The question has to be asked.... Are you retiring on your upcoming 65th? Last day of the year too!

Either way I wish you a Happy Birthday, Robert.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #144
Rmarsh

Thanks Ross.....I am planning to work full time until age 66 and 2 months....which is my full retirement age according to SS.....but that could change.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #145
Rmarsh

Gates that I built in my shop installed.... checked my measurements over and over to make sure everything would fit right ....still need to attach some cane bolts

Old 01-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #146
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I love the work of a craftsman, if I had a redo in my life, it would be get into marine biology or become a carpenter, love wood.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:21 AM   #147
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I love the work of a craftsman, if I had a redo in my life, it would be get into marine biology or become a carpenter, love wood.

Bob.....I didnt have a lot of career opportunities when I graduated high school......there was the suit coat manufacturer where I had worked a few months .....and hated so much it made me sick. Hated school too.......cooped up with a bunch of morons....inmates running the prison there. So when I hit the ground of my first construction site....I felt like I was free....like a bird.
I do love wood....such a great material......but the gates are all pvc...which is less fun to work with ...but more weather resistant for sure.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #148
Jenn

I really enjoyed this thread! Always wished I had such an ability but I don't we just had out kitchen remodel this year after 18 years of wishing! Its a modest small ranch and the kitchen wasn't just small and run down but dysfunctional even for its size. So happy with the new design (same size!) crazy how a better design and quality work can change everything! We are not carpenters so we saved money by doing what we could...ripping the old out and doing what we could ourselves. We were smart enough to hire carpenter to install cabinets and hire a tile guy....it certainly upped the budget but knew better than to attempt ourselves and screw it up! LOL! Have amazing respect for a good tradesman! Even more so now! Some things just are not worth trying to save a buck on and Im so glad we recognized that from the get go. I have friends that are better "do it your-selfers" but in the end wished they hadn't....

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:56 AM   #149
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I really enjoyed this thread! Always wished I had such an ability but I don't we just had out kitchen remodel this year after 18 years of wishing! Its a modest small ranch and the kitchen wasn't just small and run down but dysfunctional even for its size. So happy with the new design (same size!) crazy how a better design and quality work can change everything! We are not carpenters so we saved money by doing what we could...ripping the old out and doing what we could ourselves. We were smart enough to hire carpenter to install cabinets and hire a tile guy....it certainly upped the budget but knew better than to attempt ourselves and screw it up! LOL! Have amazing respect for a good tradesman! Even more so now! Some things just are not worth trying to save a buck on and Im so glad we recognized that from the get go. I have friends that are better "do it your-selfers" but in the end wished they hadn't....

Jenn....It's great that you finally got your new kitchen.....after 18 years! Small kitchen is not necessarily a bad thing.....could be a more efficient work triangle than a large spread out one....more counters just means more clutter and more to cleanup. Did you get all new appliances too? So whats next? Bathroom?

Once in a while we get a customer who wants to save a few bucks and do their own painting. I chuckle to myself...seen it many times....they way underestimate the amount of time and effort it will take......then settle for a job they would never accept if they paid someone.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #150
Rmarsh

Supply chain problems...we have five houses framed up waiting on windows...going to be a few weeks..so I got the job of covering all the openings with heavy mill plastic...so work can continue....hope I put enough staples to hold up in this wind. I usually dont spend much time on the job during this phase of the construction.....got a good look at the quality of the framing job.......very disappointing....does not meet my standards at all.