Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Mass residents - vote YES on 1 !

lets send a message to Beacon Hill!!
What do we have to lose? If it doesnt work, Im pretty sure they'll be willing to take our money next year!
This is government by the people, lets relive the brave men that dumped the tea in the harbor all those years ago. SEND A MESSAGE !

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Nebe

Im in RI, but I would imagine that what will happen is that Mass property taxes will triple and you will see all sorts of new fees and licensing to squeeze money from somewhere else.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

Do you think they would actually allow that law into effect?
Just like the income tax repeal?

I can just see them grabbing more money as the result
Old 10-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Im in RI, but I would imagine that what will happen is that Mass property taxes will triple and you will see all sorts of new fees and licensing to squeeze money from somewhere else.
The towns dont get that much $ from the state. This will force the state to prioritize their spending. If I have to pay more $ to my town, I am fine with that. Think about it, other than the highway and state troopers, what services do I receive from the state?
Let try and find out!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Do you think they would actually allow that law into effect?
Just like the income tax repeal?

I can just see them grabbing more money as the result
lets find out

Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
They can't raise property taxes without a vote, so that would never happen. I still can't figure out why the property taxes in RI are so high. You're right about the fees for drivers licenses, fishing and hunting licenses, etc..... They'll just take the money from a different pocket on the resident's pair of pants.

I agree with Jimmy about sending a message though. Even if the votes are there, the state can still keep the income tax in effect. There's a loophole in the way the proposal is written. But, if enough people vote to repeal the tax, it sends a message that we're fed up of our hard earned money going to redecorating politicians offices, etc...

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
The towns dont get that much $ from the state. This will force the state to prioritize their spending. If I have to pay more $ to my town, I am fine with that. Think about it, other than the highway and state troopers, what services do I receive from the state?
Let try and find out!
THe pink sheets have all the money the comes down to us.
Education for 1
40b housing subsidies
WICC
Welfare

All that good stuff
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

they've already said they were going to ignore it if it passed. Not sure how they can do that but they want to.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
They can't raise property taxes without a vote, so that would never happen.
But they sure as hell can re-assess the crap out of you...

They'll get their money from somewhere.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
that would benefit most in this market

Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Your tax assessment does not reflect your home value. They are 2 seperate things

Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
fishbones

Quote:

Assessments must be done at fair market value based on property sales. With the RE market where it is, the towns wouldn't be able to do much to increase the assessed value of homes. Also, there would need to be a Proposition 2 1/2 override for towns to increase assessments. See if that would get passed by voters.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Assessments must be done at fair market value based on property sales. With the RE market where it is, the towns wouldn't be able to do much to increase the assessed value of homes. Also, there would need to be a Proposition 2 1/2 override for towns to increase assessments. See if that would get passed by voters.
I thought Assessments could be done on an annual basis...the prop 2 1/2 are done for special circumstances. I could be wrong though....Its not unheard of

Old 10-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
that would benefit most in this market
Some times it takes me a minute...i now realize where you are going with this....Carry On

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
fishsmith
DDG-51

Property Tax,
Income Tax,
Exise Tax,
Sales Tax,
luxury tax,

when does it F'n end.

I'd love the message to be sent, but if it does pass, I'll bet the legislature will overturn it.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

not me they can't, they assess my house at full price of what we paid for it because they base everything in my town on assessed value or what it last sold for. I'd like to see them tell me my house is worth more than I paid 4 years ago right now...or even maybe what we paid for it 4 years ago. Uxbridge home values have stayed well above the state averages and I'm told the houses are very much in demand.

Quote:

Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #17
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

you best not move to uxbridge then

Quote:
Your tax assessment does not reflect your home value. They are 2 seperate things
Old 10-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #18
Nebe

you guys crack me up..

all the towns have to do is change the taxable % of the value of your home. Lets say they charge $1.00 to every $200 per quarter... All that the towns would have to do is raise it to $2.00 or even $3.00

Taxes are unavoidable and a part of life.

Oh and yes, it is patriotic to pay taxes. We we stopped paying them, we could not drop bombs on terrorists.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #19
fishbones

Quote:
I thought Assessments could be done on an annual basis...the prop 2 1/2 are done for special circumstances. I could be wrong though....Its not unheard of

Assessments are done anually in many towns, but still can't be increased if property values go down. The language is pretty clear about it being based on RE values. If your property was assessed and you thought it was too high, you can fight it.

Prop 2 1/2 is for special circumstances such as new schools, renovation town bulidings, fixing bridges, etc... But all Prop 2 1/2 proposals have to go to vote before the residents.

Basically, citizens are in control of what they pay in taxes. The rub in it all is that, like you said earlier, the town will get it's money in the end. They'll raise prices for dog licenses, charge more for town athletics, give out more parking tickets and on and on. But, if citizens speak out loudly enough, we can limit what they try to take from us.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
you guys crack me up..

all the towns have to do is change the taxable % of the value of your home. Lets say they charge $1.00 to every $200 per quarter... All that the towns would have to do is raise it to $2.00 or even $3.00

Oh and yes, it is patriotic to pay taxes. We we stopped paying them, we could not drop bombs on terrorists.
Neb, understood, but thats my TOWN, not the state of Taxachusetts. I would see the benefits at the local level. There are states without income taxes that are doing fine.
Come on Nebe, this is CHANGE I CAN BELIEVE IN !

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

remember too that out of state contractors that work in Mass won't have to pay taxes anymore....so we get to pick up the tab for that too.....Just a thought

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #22
fishbones

Quote:
you guys crack me up..

At least in Mass, any proposed tax rate increase has to be voted on. Maybe in RI it's different, and it wouldn't suprise me with the way RI government operates. You pay way too much for the services the state provides for you.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
FishermanTim

If it does pass, and for some unbelievbable reason the state doesn't ingore it, do you seriously think that the political hogs would ever alter their own spending tactics?

Every normal, regular, logical and ETHICAL person, faced with a financial hardship/loss/decrease would take steps to adjust their own spending habits. They'd cut back on their wasteful spending and try to conserve their cash for emergencies and essentials.
Try and get a politician to think that way would require a "rectal lobotomy". They would feel no remorse by cutting funding to essential services but would rally 'round the flag if they suddenly had to pay for their own vehicles, fuel, meals, "work" vacations, and in some cases their rent/mortgage.

The radio/tv ads for question #1 are nothing more than scare tactics, trying to basically get people to vote to give their money to the same fools that were wasting before.

Can you say (from "Animal House" pledge scene):
"Thank you sir, can I have another?"

I say we shake things up. We voted on a tax rollback some years ago, and they illegally ignored that, so we're going for the whole ball of wax.
They wouldn't allow us to keep ONLY 0.5% more of our money, so now we're going after ALL 5:65%.

If it passes and they ignore it, whoever votes to override it should be driven out of office once and for all.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Way to go Tim!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #25
Backbeach Jake

Yes on 1!?

You've gotta be kidding!

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #26
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Every time I hear "Taxachusetts" I want to split my sides laughing. You guys really don't know how good you have it. You use New Hampshire as a yardstick--a state that provided almost no services until half of Mass north of Boston decided to move there, and a state that owns every packy inside its borders. Do you have any idea how much revenue those state liquor stores bring into NH?

You want to complain about taxes? Move to New York, where you have a much higher income tax, an 8.5% sales tax (on everything, including clothing), and 5 figure property taxes on 2000 square foot houses on 100' x 60' lots. Move to New Jersey where you have an equally high income tax, a 7% sales tax and even higher property taxes--$20,000 a year is not unheard of, and that's not for waterfront properties assessed at over a million bucks. It's for 2500 square foot houses on normal sized lot, miles from the ocean.

Hell--just move to RI. Do they still tax personal property like cars and boats at 100% valuation, the way they did 25 years ago? I pay under $50 in excise tax for a 5 year old Jeep.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Those of you that want to continue to take it up the pooper, more power to you. Everyone whines that there is nothing you can do, now that there is something you can do, in spirit, if nothing else, you wont gave the balls too.
Remember this, every year when we celebrate the 4th of July, it was a very, very few who took up the cause against England. Most hid under their beds until it was over. Which one are you?

Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #28
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

So...your for Change Now.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #29
Nebe

Quote:
So...your for Change Now.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #30