Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 10-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #31
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Coffered ceiling and fireplace mantel. Kitchen cabinets are next.
it's about time I see a coffered ceiling done right. I see alot of them up here framed then wrapped with drywall then the crown inside the squares. IMO it looks like dog#^&#^&#^&#^&e. It's a cheap way out of doing it the right way.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:44 AM   #32
Rmarsh

Thanks Trevier......the ceiling took a lot more man hours than I thought it would, probably why you see so many builders try the cheaper way.
Kitchen install is underway, farmer apron sink in the island is a nice feature I think.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:56 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:19 AM   #33
Rmarsh

Painted and stained stairway. I thought I was finished...but now customer wants wall panels going up stairway wall and adjacent dining room. It's an easy job that I like doing anyway.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:08 AM   #34
Guppy
User

Diet A&W ?
;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #35
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Diet A&W ?
;-)
HAha yeah.... I just grabbed whatever was in the fridge that morning.
Never been on a diet ...190 lbs for the last 30 years...never changes?

Both my boys are well over 200#....always busting my balls about being too thin....but they both agree to who is the most agile.

Funny how things get into the pictures that you would think no one would notice.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #36
Guppy
User

I zoom in Bob, if I'd seen anything wrong I'd a really laid into ya LOL
Nice job as usual
Old 11-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #37
Rmarsh

all done with this one...I added brackets under the granite overhang after the picture was taken... on to the next one.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:03 AM   #38
Rmarsh

a few more

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:06 AM..
Old 02-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #39
Rmarsh

Countertop support brackets ..Fireplace mantel and built-ins in progress...stairs.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #40
Guppy
User

Ok Mr. Marsh, I've zoomed in and everything looks ok... ;-)
Nice work as usual, Saturday night?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #41
PaulS

Starting to think about redoing the kitchen. Wish you lived closer.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #42
trevier

Quote:
Countertop support brackets ..Fireplace mantel and built-ins in progress...stairs.
Nice, but I hate the look of the newel post on the stair tread. We always used to mount it on the face of the tread and landing on the floor.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:46 AM   #43
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevier View Post
Nice, but I hate the look of the newel post on the stair tread. We always used to mount it on the face of the tread and landing on the floor.
Trevier... I value your opinion and response... feedback is always welcome.

Guppy.....thanks for the thumbs up....if you zoom in too close you will see that nothing I do is ever "perfect". But always at least adequate.

The customer, who I have not met in person, provided a small vague picture of what they wanted for the fireplace and built-ins. No other discussion or plan, so I had to design and build my interpretation. It will all be painted except for the base cabinet tops, which they wanted stained oak to match the flooring.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #44
Rmarsh

more stairs......lot of hours to get it done right.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..
Old 11-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #45
Guppy
User

Quote:
more stairs......lot of hours to get it done right.
My knees hurt just looking at it... :-)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:07 AM   #46
Rmarsh

Quote:
My knees hurt just looking at it... :-)
My orthopedic doctor told me that the arthritis in my hands will get progressively worse, cortisone injections work but wear off within a few months. Can't move my thumbs and wrists without pain, shooting pain at night without even moving them.

He also said that I have the knees of a forty year old , and that they should carry me along with no problems....i have never worn knee pads...tried them once.... too uncomfortable.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #47
Rmarsh

Stairs again......nothing special about these....but most of the stairs we do use 5/4" thick treads which finish out to just over 1"thick. To save on material costs we are switching to 3/4" thick....when the oak cove moulding gets applied under the tread nosing it gives the appearance of being thicker. It is so much easier to cut and fit these thinner treads too!

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:55 AM..
Old 09-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #48
Guppy
User

Quote:
Stairs again......nothing special about these....but most of the stairs we do use 5/4" thick treads which finish out to just over 1"thick. To save on material costs we are switching to 3/4" thick....when the oak cove moulding gets applied under the tread nosing it gives the appearance of being thicker. It is so much easier to cut and fit these thinner treads too!
stop working, albys are in, you’ll have more time now that you’re using 3/4 treads, right?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #49
trevier

Quote:
I always liked the 5/4 treads. I think they are stronger and give a better look. Are those rabbitted risers your using? If so I assume the tread has a tapered piece on the back edge so it fits in nice and tight? Nice system they are. Used to get all my millwork from van lumber out of bellingham mass.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #50
Rmarsh

Quote:
I always liked the 5/4 treads. I think they are stronger and give a better look. Are those rabbitted risers your using? If so I assume the tread has a tapered piece on the back edge so it fits in nice and tight? Nice system they are. Used to get all my millwork from van lumber out of bellingham mass.

I agree.....the 5/4 are stronger and look better....but 99% of our customers would not even notice. Yep...the tread is rabbeted to slide into the groove in the riser...and tapered to tighten when driven back with a heavy rubber mallet. I did a lot of business with Van Lumber back when I was building custom homes.....always good quality stuff.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #51
Rmarsh

Quote:
stop working, albys are in, you’ll have more time now that you’re using 3/4 treads, right?

HAha...the faster I go the more work they give me.....calling in a day off today to try for albies...
Old 09-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #52
trevier

Quote:
I agree.....the 5/4 are stronger and look better....but 99% of our customers would not even notice. Yep...the tread is rabbeted to slide into the groove in the riser...and tapered to tighten when driven back with a heavy rubber mallet. I did a lot of business with Van Lumber back when I was building custom homes.....always good quality stuff.
I remember a 2 million dollar house we were doing back in 01. Trim package was over a 150k, everything was cherry. Van shows up to deliver with one guy. One friggin guy to deliver the stuff. My dad laid into our salesman for allowing this. He told my dad van doesn't want to pay for another guy to go out on deliveries. Gave him jon vans number, man it wasn't pretty I can tell you that.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:04 AM   #53
Rmarsh

A delivery guy drops a load of roof trusses on my job, and comes over for to me to sign the slip. As I'm doing so I see his truck rolling slowly away and ask him if someone is with him. He turns to run towards the vehicle, trips over a pile of dirt and falls into a puddle of mud. Well, I could see he wasn't going to get up right away so I take off running after the truck to see if I could stop it before something bad happened.
Luckily it veered off the side of the road and came to rest without hitting anything.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #54
trevier

Quote:
A delivery guy drops a load of roof trusses on my job, and comes over for to me to sign the slip. As I'm doing so I see his truck rolling slowly away and ask him if someone is with him. He turns to run towards the vehicle, trips over a pile of dirt and falls into a puddle of mud. Well, I could see he wasn't going to get up right away so I take off running after the truck to see if I could stop it before something bad happened.
Luckily it veered off the side of the road and came to rest without hitting anything.
I like that spindle jig, I'm stealing that.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #55
Rmarsh

Quote:
I like that spindle jig, I'm stealing that.
Good eye!
Yup...its also the pitch block with the stair angles....and helps with post height variables..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #56
Rmarsh

Dark stained cabinets are a bitch......every speck of dust and the tiniest of scratches show through. The finished flooring is 3/8" thick engineered hardwood.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #57
trevier

Quote:
Dark stained cabinets are a bitch......every speck of dust and the tiniest of scratches show through. The finished flooring is 3/8" thick engineered hardwood.
nice work, but not my type of cabinets. I'll stick with my cherry cabinets with a natural finish.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:10 AM   #58
Rmarsh

Trev....I worked for years installing commercial millwork in banks, libraries, and country clubs, cherry was the wood of choice, and one of my favorite woods to work with. Like most wood, cherry has a distinct smell. I believe I could be blindfolded and identify most common hard and softwoods by their aroma.....
Old 10-05-2018, 05:49 AM   #59
Rmarsh

Door pull jig....accurate and efficient. I use a 3/32 bit to mark them...then 3/16 to finish them. That keeps the hole in the jig from becoming larger and wandering.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #60
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Good idea doing it that way
I always have to make more since they wear out, I’ll have to try the smaller diameter first then drill with the 3/16

I think it can be almost as fast if I have two drills set up and swap out while still holding the jig in my left hand.
But I have so much scrap maple available, it is easy to make more.

I have made them for drawer front pulls also, it’s faster than measuring and marking.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote