Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
CaptMike

Looking to start kayaking

Hey,

I'm thinking about picking up a cheap used yak just to have soem fun with. Are there any that I should stay away from? I intend to use it in small bays and ponds so not white water or the ocean or something but still would like a decently seaworthy yak. I don't really like the sit on top type but I don't have enough experience with kayaks to really know what I'm talking about. I've done a lot of canoeing and boating for a long time but never really tried the kayak. Anyway just wondering if there's anything to stay away from. Thanks!
CaptMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Raven

hey Cap

you could take a cruise to the King Cove marina
In Stonnington Ct. and see NilsC

and talk it over....

they'll let you try some out there...

then let experience be your guide....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
JohnnyD

I've been wondering about a good place to try out some yaks before buying. Would prefer something in the SE Mass or Cape area.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
wheresmy50

If you're going in the ocean, I'd stay away from a SIK. I don't know what you don't like about SOTs, but one thing to appreciate is the ability to get back in the thing if you ever tip. SIKs are a little more stable and a little faster, but you may not be able to get back in and in cold water that could kill you. I use a SOT, and if it's choppy, I'm completely soaked from paddling. I don't know how you could use a SIK without a skirt. With a skirt, you have far less options for storage and now you've got one more thing that's going to try to drown you. With SOTs, storage is easy and abundant.

I have a few of the Wilderness Systems Tarpons and have no complaints. The 140 gets a little water in the footwell, but nothing to worry about. I've had it for a while and over the years have added stuff. Most recently a FF/GPS.

Once you get it, you'll need to install a trolley system for your anchor and drift sock so you're not hitting the waves sideways. There will be a bunch of other stuff too, so don't blow your whole budget on the yak itself.

Don't bother with those 2 pound kayak anchors. Just go to Wal mart and get a 5lb river anchor. They're cheaper and work better in wind.

Guys like rudders.

That's about it for tips. Good luck.

Article 1, Section 9:
No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.
wheresmy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I've been wondering about a good place to try out some yaks before buying. Would prefer something in the SE Mass or Cape area.
Head on down to Billington Sea Kayak in Plymouth on a weekend day. They're right inside Morton Park. They'll listen to your needs and set you up with several kayaks to test out right there on the lake. Good people.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
BOSOX
catch 'em up

The Goose Hummock in Orleans has a bunch of boats for sale or rent. The may still be selling last years rentals for cheap money. They also have plenty of accessories.
BOSOX is offline   Reply With Quote