Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Piscator

Syria - Serious

So what's the plan, sit and wait? What happens if Assad uses the Sarin?

This could get VERY bad, VERY quick..............

Syria has loaded chemical weapons into bombs; awaiting attack order from Assad | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Not to mention Egypt is well on its way to an Islamic state. That whole region is ready to ignite. Maybe those Mayans were on to something.......................

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

However, U.S. officials told NBC that the sarin bombs had not yet been loaded onto planes but added if Assad gives the final order, "there's little the outside world can do to stop it."

Really I can think of how we on the outside could stop the deployment of these bombs.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Bronko

Obama will counter with more talk or proposed sanctions.

Although he is the master of the drone strike so he has that going for him.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Piscator

I say we sit back and let it happen. Let the UN deal with it, they are worthless anyway. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Funny how all the election talk was so focused around social issues and not this kind of important stuff. Let them go at it over there. Wonder if that Sarin made its way to Syria from Iraq (ooops, I didn’t just say that )

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
I say we sit back and let it happen. Let the UN deal with it, they are worthless anyway. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Funny how all the election talk was so focused around social issues and not this kind of important stuff. Let them go at it over there. Wonder if that Sarin made its way to Syria from Iraq (ooops, I didn’t just say that )
Agreed. I'm completely willing to allow that entire region to implode into themselves. Stop sending our troops and resources out to "help" people that neither want nor appreciate the assistance.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I agree.....turn all the dogs loose on themselves and each other! Implode is a good word.......let them just screw themselves to the wall!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
buckman

Then be prepared for 7$ + gas.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Raven

Talk About weapons of mass destruction ........

Now Maybe the intentions of the Iraq War were Correct....
that these weapons were originally in Iraq but got shipped there
for safe keeping

along with Sadam's family and Semi Trucks full of U$ Currency

But there is Little Doubt NOW....

SHOCK + AWE--> Part 2
Old 12-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
scottw

it does beg many questions that aren't being asked for some reason, doesn't it ?

interesting that Iraq seems to be the least of our problems over there....
Old 12-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Not to mention Egypt is well on its way to an Islamic state. That whole region is ready to ignite. Maybe those Mayans were on to something.......................
Did you think the unwinding of Colonialism and Cold War structures would be pretty?

Also, the precursor chemicals for Sarin are pretty easy to make, especially for a Country with modern means like Syria. It's very unstable as well and only lasts a few weeks they say once mixed. Thinking this came from Iraq is pretty silly considering multiple investigations have shown Iraq didn't have active weapons programs.

I think it's less likely that Assad would order its use. More likely he'd just jump ship with a plane load of cash and his wife's wardrobe.

Bigger concern would be the military leadership who's left in charge and who might try and retain power rather than be taken to task by the militants.

-spence
Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Did you think the unwinding of Colonialism and Cold War structures would be pretty?

Also, the precursor chemicals for Sarin are pretty easy to make, especially for a Country with modern means like Syria. It's very unstable as well and only lasts a few weeks they say once mixed. Thinking this came from Iraq is pretty silly considering multiple investigations have shown Iraq didn't have active weapons programs.

I think it's less likely that Assad would order its use. More likely he'd just jump ship with a plane load of cash and his wife's wardrobe.

Bigger concern would be the military leadership who's left in charge and who might try and retain power rather than be taken to task by the militants.

-spence
Spence,
Some good points. Didn't know about the short shelf life of sarin.

I didn't think the transition would be easy and simple but also didn't think chemical weapons threats would be part of the mix. Just shows some true colors I guess. It's serious stuff when that is brought into the mix and I guess we will see what happens.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
spence

I think it was an intentional calculation to push the red line a bit and buy Assad time. Obama stated earlier that any move toward WMD would be crossing a red line...so they did it knowing the UN probably won't intervene with the fall of the regime likely soon.

The violence in Syria has been terrible but I'm not sure what else we could have done short of getting entangled in another mess. Perhaps the thousands of lives lost will make the people feel they've earned their freedoms rather than been granted them by the West.

-spence
Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
Raven

Ricin doesn't have that limitation.....
and Dido on the Sarin time slot....

i think it's quite difficult to wage war with chemical gear on.... period

bring on the BOTS
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

-spence
Curious how the region was more stable when it was owned by civilized countries that don't erupt into chaos because someone said "Muhammad has smelly feet".
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Curious how the region was more stable when it was owned by civilized countries that don't erupt into chaos because someone said "Muhammad has smelly feet".
Civilized countries that violently repressed dissent? Just because dictatorships kept them somewhat stable doesn't mean they were at all civil.

-spence