Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Pay and Pension in the White House

This government shutdown is so frustrating on many levels, but what really pisses me off is the political players are getting paid while our men and women in the military aren't. Term limits, pay scale, pensions, it's all wacky and the only people who can make a change are the only ones who will suffer if they do.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Nebe

I think it was a republican who drafted the bill to freeze pay. Yet they blame the democrats. Flush all these turds down the drain when it’s time to vote. ALL of them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
DZ

It sucks - I just got home after being told to leave work. Been a DOD employee for 40 years and been through plenty of these - most end up being a paid vacation for me which I actually hate. I'd rather work. The real power stands with us federal workers - we should show up to work anyway - but I can't get others to join me. If Fed workers would just show up anyway the leverage of a Gov shutdown would disappear and we wouldn't be used as pawns.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
wdmso

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42766159

US shutdown: White House voicemail changed to blame Democrats
The Vice-President just told troops in the field that Democrats are playing games with their pay.

I am all ways disgusted when the parties us the Military as a political toy..

the longest shut down lasted 17 days fyi Note: Each servicemember has the option of receiving his or her pay one or two times a month. If they select to receive their pay twice a month they will receive semi-monthly pay on the 15th of each month - if the 1st or 15th falls on Saturday or Sunday, payday is the Friday before.

so this line the dems are taking pay away from the Troops is a lie

and when it ends everyone gets back pay no one losses any money

what hasn't been mentioned since Oct this is what the 4th CR and dems approved and went along with the 1st 3 ... Republicans thought the could feed the dems what ever they wanted and the dems would blink its what they usually do ... and play along ... this time they did not and Republicans dont know what to do besides scream Obstruction which i find ironic coming from the party of NO
Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
spence

Freaking GOP holds both houses of Congress and the Presidency and can't even fund the government. Big problem here is POTUS doesn't understand his own position and hence nobody can negotiate.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Nebe

But Spence. Trump is the great deal maker ! Oh wait. He’s also the master of bankruptcy. What a train wreck.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
PaulS

I don't mind that they get paid. They are working to try to get a budget passed. I hope that the gov. ees that are required to come to work are getting paid.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Freaking GOP holds both houses of Congress and the Presidency and can't even fund the government. Big problem here is POTUS doesn't understand his own position and hence nobody can negotiate.
It required 60 votes in the senate. The GOP doesn't have 60 seats in the senate. The GOP can't force 9 democrats to vote for the funding if they don't want to.

Part of this, at least a part, is whether or not it's acceptable for the minority party to demand that an un-related issue (like, oh, say DACA) be inserted into a bill required to pass to keep the government operating.

When the GOP was in the minority and they threatened to do the same thing, Schumer et al had some harsh criticism for them. We have seen those videos. How is this any different form that?

They all stink, both parties, and we need non-ideologues who can actually solve problems.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

The GOP did not even have unity in its own party.
"A shutdown falls on the President's lack of leadership. He can't even control his party and get people together in a room. A Shutdown means the President is weak"
Donald Trump 2013
I do think it is time for some new politicians and I think the past year will produce some.

Last edited by Pete F.; 01-22-2018 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: ADD

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I hope that the gov. ees that are required to come to work are getting paid.
They are not, they will get paid their next payday as it is for the pay period ending last Saturday. After that it will depend on how long the shutdown continues as to whether they get their next check. They will receive all back pay when this is resolved.

The folks living paycheck to paycheck could be hurting if this drags out.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
It required 60 votes in the senate. The GOP doesn't have 60 seats in the senate. The GOP can't force 9 democrats to vote for the funding if they don't want to.

Part of this, at least a part, is whether or not it's acceptable for the minority party to demand that an un-related issue (like, oh, say DACA) be inserted into a bill required to pass to keep the government operating.

When the GOP was in the minority and they threatened to do the same thing, Schumer et al had some harsh criticism for them. We have seen those videos. How is this any different form that?

They all stink, both parties, and we need non-ideologues who can actually solve problems.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
spence

Quote:

The GOP couldn't even get all the Republicans on board. The issue here isn't the Dems or even DACA which most everyone (including Trump before his aids suggested it was a bad idea) supports...the issue is the disconnect between the Senate Republicans and the Whitehouse.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #13
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
This government shutdown is so frustrating on many levels, but what really pisses me off is the political players are getting paid while our men and women in the military aren't. Term limits, pay scale, pensions, it's all wacky and the only people who can make a change are the only ones who will suffer if they do.

Military is paid through till 1st of February.
Me thinks this is all to deflate the upcoming state of the union address.
What pisses me of is if you search each senator & congressman (woman) annual government salary, how many years they have served, and their net worth..........
How the hell can a senator making $190k a year, serve whatever many years and be worth 10-100s of millions ???
The math doesn’t add up other than each and every one of them is taking huge sums of $$$ for corporate and outside us influence!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
The GOP couldn't even get all the Republicans on board. The issue here isn't the Dems or even DACA which most everyone supports...the issue is the disconnect between the Senate Republicans and the Whitehouse.
"The GOP couldn't even get all the Republicans on board"

True. It's also true that if they had all the Republican senators, that would have had exactly zero effect on the outcome. True or false?

I like that there are moderate Republicans. Sometimes they do things I like, sometimes they don't.

"The issue here isn't the Dems or even DACA "

Then your issue isn't the shutdown. Because the Dems caused the shutdown by demanding that DACA be part of it. DACA has nothing to do with operational funding.

"even DACA which most everyone supports"

If that's true, then we have a responsibility to let our elected officials know that. That has nothing to do with the operational budget. The ems inserted it in there thinking it would put pressure on the GOP to pass it. It didn't work.

"the issue is the disconnect between the Senate Republicans and the Whitehouse"

No, it's not. Because even if all the Republican senators were in agreement, we'd be in the same exact situation. They don't have 60 seats.

They should let the dems have their way with DACA, and th eprice is the dems agree to the wall. Hell, the tax windfall we're getting from Apple alone will fund the wall.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
wdmso

Quote:
"The GOP couldn't even get all the Republicans on board"

True. It's also true that if they had all the Republican senators, that would have had exactly zero effect on the outcome. True or false?

I like that there are moderate Republicans. Sometimes they do things I like, sometimes they don't.

"The issue here isn't the Dems or even DACA "

Then your issue isn't the shutdown. Because the Dems caused the shutdown by demanding that DACA be part of it. DACA has nothing to do with operational funding.

"even DACA which most everyone supports"

If that's true, then we have a responsibility to let our elected officials know that. That has nothing to do with the operational budget. The ems inserted it in there thinking it would put pressure on the GOP to pass it. It didn't work.

"the issue is the disconnect between the Senate Republicans and the Whitehouse"

No, it's not. Because even if all the Republican senators were in agreement, we'd be in the same exact situation. They don't have 60 seats.

They should let the dems have their way with DACA, and th eprice is the dems agree to the wall. Hell, the tax windfall we're getting from Apple alone will fund the wall.
its called governance (The action or manner of governing)the GOP has not idea on how to Govern. The last 8 years they were the party of NO!! now they are the party of we dont know how... ..
Old 01-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #16
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

3 R senators didn't vote for it and 2 D senators did, IIRC.

I would actually be impressed if they could pass a real budget that is not a Continuing Resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
its called governance (The action or manner of governing)the GOP has not idea on how to Govern. The last 8 years they were the party of NO!! now they are the party of we dont know how... ..
Sure - all Republican's fault. Always the Republicans. Only the Republicans.

It is both parties

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
"The last 8 years they were the party of NO!! "

Then using that logic, isn't that what the Democrats are now?

"the GOP has not idea on how to Govern"

It would appear that the public disagrees with you. The GOP controls the White House, both chambers of Congress, and a HUGE majority of state legislatures and governorships. How do you explain that?
Old 01-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #18
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
[QUOTE=JohnR;1135700]3 R senators didn't vote for it and 2 D senators did,

Those 2 D are up for re-election
Old 01-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #19
scottw

2:30 p.m.

President Donald Trump says he is pleased that congressional Democrats "have come to their senses"

baaaa...haaaa...haaa
Old 01-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
2:30 p.m.

President Donald Trump says he is pleased that congressional Democrats "have come to their senses"

baaaa...haaaa...haaa
Is that what he believes or what Stephan Miller told him to say?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #21
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Is that what he believes or what Stephan Miller told him to say?
who is Stephan Miller?
Old 01-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #22
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
SIXTY Spence, they needed 60 in the Senate. You know this, you are just being difficult to be difficult.

[QUOTE=Raider Ronnie;1135702]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
3 R senators didn't vote for it and 2 D senators did,

Those 2 D are up for re-election
And those 3 Ds are in red leaning states and have broken ranks before

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

It's all about being able to say I blah...blah...blahh
They have screwed things up so bad lawyering the rules to death in the last 40 years that we need to do a hard reset on Congress and get it back to how it is supposed to work.
The way it works best is if you have to compromise to get things to pass, it keeps things pretty much in the middle, middle is good.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-22-2018, 05:35 PM   #24
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
It's all about being able to say I blah...blah...blahh
They have screwed things up so bad lawyering the rules to death in the last 40 years that we need to do a hard reset on Congress and get it back to how it is supposed to work.
The way it works best is if you have to compromise to get things to pass, it keeps things pretty much in the middle, middle is good.
Being in the middle of stupid ideas or in the middle of unconstitutional legislative proposals are not good places to be.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:56 AM   #25
wdmso

Quote:
"The last 8 years they were the party of NO!! "

Then using that logic, isn't that what the Democrats are now?

"the GOP has not idea on how to Govern"

It would appear that the public disagrees with you. The GOP controls the White House, both chambers of Congress, and a HUGE majority of state legislatures and governorships. How do you explain that?

People are dumb
Old 01-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Being in the middle of stupid ideas or in the middle of unconstitutional legislative proposals are not good places to be.
Reaching a consensus among your colleagues would likely put you in the middle.
Letting the liberal AND conservatives have too much power has put us where we are today

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
People are dumb
The people who want a high quality of life, but who don't want to overpay for it...they are dumb? Well, they are winning. Here in CT, we are losing productive citizens to places that are a better value - similar quality of life, far lower cost.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #28
PaulS

Quote:
Here in CT, we are losing productive citizens to places that are a better value - similar quality of life, far lower cost.
Like where?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #29
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ok/1019429001/

The fastest growing states

8. Arizona
•1-yr pop. growth rate: 1.66%
•Current population: 6.93 million
•2015 population: 6.82 million
•10-yr pop. growth rate: 14.96%

Arizona’s population grew by 1.7% in 2016, more than twice the 0.7% national population growth rate. Much of Arizona’s growth was due to new residents migrating to the state. A net total of 61,544 Americans relocated to Arizona that year, the fourth most of any state. Many of those moving to Arizona likely came for employment opportunities. From 2015 to 2016, Arizona’s unemployment rate fell from 6.0% to 5.3% — one of the largest percentage-point drops of any state over the period.

7. Colorado
•1-yr pop. growth rate: 1.68%
•Current population: 5.54 million
•2015 population: 5.45 million
•10-yr pop. growth rate: 17.37%

Colorado’s population grew by 1.7% in 2016, among the fastest pace of any state. Like many of the fastest growing states, domestic migration contributed the most to Colorado’s rapid population growth. A net influx of 50,216 Americans relocated to Colorado in 2016, more than all but five other states. Colorado has sustained rapid population growth throughout the past decade. Since 2006, the state’s population has increased by 17.4%, the fastest pace of any state other than Texas and Utah. The population growth occurred alongside a steep decline in unemployment. Just 3.3% of the Colorado labor force is unemployed, tied with Vermont as the sixth lowest unemployment rate of any state.

6. Oregon
•1-yr pop. growth rate: 1.71
•Current population: 4.09 million
•2015 population: 4.02 million
•10-yr pop. growth rate: 11.51%

Since 2006, Oregon’s population has grown at an average rate of 1.1%. The state’s population growth rate spiked in 2016, when the number of residents in the state grew 1.7% — faster than nearly any other state. Approximately 3 in every 4 new Oregonians in 2016 moved to the state from elsewhere in the country, with the remaining population increase due to natural growth — the number of births less the number of deaths. Many new residents likely came to Oregon for economic opportunity. The state’s unemployment rate fell from 5.6% in 2015 to 4.9% in 2016, one of the largest percentage-point declines of any state.

5. Washington
•1-yr pop. growth rate: 1.78%
•Current population: 7.29 million
•2015 population: 7.16 million
•10-yr pop. growth rate: 14.40%

Washington state’s population grew by 1.8% in 2016, more than twice the 0.7% national population growth rate. Washington has sustained relatively fast population growth over the past decade. The state’s population increased by 14.4% from 2006 to 2016, the eighth fastest pace of any state. The state’s strong population growth over the past decade was accompanied by a substantial increase in GDP. From the second quarter of 2006 to the second quarter of 2016, Washington’s GDP grew at an average rate of 2.2% a year — the fourth fastest pace of any state. Washington’s information sector — which includes industry giants Microsoft, Amazon, and Expedia — grew faster than in any other state other than Pennsylvania over that period.

4. Florida
•1-yr pop. growth rate: 1.82%
•Current population: 20.61 million
•2015 population: 20.24 million
•10-yr pop. growth rate: 13.46%

In 2014, Florida overtook New York as the third most populous state in the country. Florida has continued to grow at a near nation-leading pace. The state’s population grew by 1.8% in 2016, far more than the 0.7% national population growth rate. Like many of the fastest-growing states, Florida’s rapid population growth was largely due to migration. About 9 in every 10 new Floridians either moved to the state from elsewhere in the United States or from another country — one of the largest such shares nationwide — while the rest of the state’s population increase was due to natural growth.

3. Idaho
•1-yr pop. growth rate: 1.83%
•Current population: 1.68 million
•2015 population: 1.65 million
•10-yr pop. growth rate: 14.60%

The population of Idaho increased by 1.8% in 2016, the third fastest pace of any state. Idaho has a relatively high birth rate, and natural growth — births minus deaths — accounted for about one-third of all new Idahoans in 2016. The remaining population growth was due to the large influx of residents from other parts of the country. A net total of 17,143 Americans relocated to Idaho in 2016, far more than in most states. The state’s population growth coincided with a substantial decline in unemployment. Idaho’s unemployment rate fell from 4.2% in 2015 to just 3.8% in 2016, today one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.

2. Nevada
•1-yr pop. growth rate: 1.95%
•Current population: 2.94 million
•2015 population: 2.88 million
•10-yr pop. growth rate: 16.55%

The population of Nevada increased by 2.0% in 2016, the second fastest pace of any state. Nevada has sustained strong population growth over the past decade, growing by 16.5% from 2006 to 2016 — nearly twice the 8.3% national growth rate. Despite strong population growth, Nevada’s overall economic output declined over that time. The state’s arts, entertainment, and recreation and accommodation and food sectors — which comprise a larger share of Nevada’s GDP than in any other state — shrunk 13.0% from the second quarter of 2006 to the second quarter of 2016, more than in any other state nationwide. Nevada’s GDP contracted by 9.0% overall during that time, the largest decline in the country. Industries that benefit from population growth, however, such as educational services and health care, grew at a faster pace than in a majority of states.

1. Utah
•1-yr pop. growth rate: 2.03%
•Current population: 3.05 million
•2015 population: 2.99 million
•10-yr pop. growth rate: 20.82%

The population of Utah grew by 2.0% in 2016, nearly three times the 0.7% national population growth rate and the fastest pace of any state. Unlike most fast-growing states, the majority of Utah’s population increase was due to natural growth. Utah has the largest average family size in the country, and there were 1,854 births per 100,000 people in Utah in 2016 — far more than the national rate of 1,286 births per 100,000 Americans. Utah also has the lowest death rate in the country. While Utah’s high birth-to-death ratio accounted for most of the state’s population growth, Utah’s population also grew more from inbound migration than many other states. The state’s population increased by 0.8% due to net migration in 2016, more than double the 0.3% national figure and the ninth highest rate of any state.

The fastest shrinking states

4. Connecticut
•1-yr pop. growth rate: -0.23%
•Current population: 3.58 million
•2015 population: 3.58 million
•10-yr pop. growth rate: 1.68%

The population of Connecticut shrank by 0.2% in 2016, the fourth largest decline of any state. Connecticut’s population has declined substantially in recent years, and the state has lost a net total of approximately 20,000 residents since 2013. Many of those leaving Connecticut are young, college-educated professionals. Since 2010, the median age in Connecticut has risen from 40.0 years to 40.9 years.

The population loss has likely hurt the state’s economic potential. While the U.S. GDP grew by 12.1% from the second quarter of 2006 to the second quarter of 2016, Connecticut’s GDP fell by 3.7%, the largest contraction of any state over that time other than Nevada.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Like where?
Suburbs of Nashville, Charlotte, some places in NH, suburbs of Atlanta.

If I didn't care about being near my parents, I'd move to Fort Mill SC. A suburb of Charlotte NC. Very low taxes, insanely good schools, good quality of life. Much cheaper than CT.

I know 3 upper middle-class families that moved from CT to Sunnappee, NH. They are saving a fortune, they say they sacrificed nothing in terms of quality of life, and will never come back.

And I did the math that helped my brother move his family and his business from Litchfield CT to the suburbs of Nashville. Everything is new down there, everything is awesome. He is saving more than $1,000 a month in taxes. Over a couple of decades, it's a fortune. He would say that CT offers not a single thing to justify that extra $1,000 a month. Zip.

There are lots of places that are a better bang for the buck. There just aren't any in the blue New England states that I know of.

Not coincidentally, the places I mentioned are on Amazon's list of finalists for the new HQ. CT was bounced in the first round. Yet the elite liberals here claim you get what you pay for, that CT is awesome while the south is nothing but fried twinkies and trailer parks. In the cities I mentioned, they cannot build $450,000 houses fast enough. Most of the people buying those houses are tax refugees from New England. These people want all the services they are used to...they just don't want to overpay for them. And they found out, they don't have to.