Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

Question side planing plug

Has anyone seen or built a plug that connects to the line from a position somewhat on the side? I am starting to wonder what the possibilities are for use in the canal or other swift current areas. I do not want to spend time on something that won't work so I thought I'd put the question out to thoose who might know or have tried and failed.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I've made a few plugs that plane on the side, not intentionally, they jut swam that way.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
ecduzitgood
time to go

Professor looking at the plugs you turnout leaves me speechless; true works of art.
The presentation I am considering is a slow moving plug that would apear to be fighting the current and would be oriented in reverse with the eye placement/shape being backwards (very slow almost no retreive with more of a twitching or lunging type movement). But I do not know enough about hydrodynamics to know if this is a possiblity. I think in order to try some of these ideas I may have to break down and get a lathe. I really don't have the room, plus if I get a lathe my social life will be almost none exsistent. It's time to view some more of your plugs so my defeatist attitude will keep my obsession and desire in check.
Ed
Old 11-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Your good for my ego. But in all seriousness the only way to find out is to try something. I am a big trial and error person. I feel that is the best way to learn and improve and if it falls on it's face than you will know. That is how I approach a lot of the stuff i do at my day job and it has seemed to work most of the time, although I do paint my self into a corner once and a while, but is is kind of fun to figure a way out, although the boss doesn't alway appreciate the added time to the job.
I am trying to make a very large danny type plug right now and last nite Numbskull stopped by my workplace to get something and he looked at the rough turning and kind of had that skeptical what the hell is that look on his face. He is probably right but I am going to give it the old college try before it becomes wood stove food. I say try it . If it sucks, oh well live and learn.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
ecduzitgood
time to go

Thats what I figured. I was just trying the work smarter type of angle, besides I am one of those if you think it can't be done I'll still try kinda guys.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
I've made a few plugs that plane on the side, not intentionally, they jut swam that way.
I'm sitting here laughing my *** off at your reply... not because of your misfortune.. but because I've had a few of those miscreants myself..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
go4broke44

sometimes when I cast a metal lip swimmer out and the front hook snags the line, it comes in with a sideways planing action
go4broke44 is offline   Reply With Quote