Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Saltheart

Opa-Opa Brown Ale

Picked up some 1/2 gallon bottles of Opa-Opa for $6.99 a bottle plus $2 deposit each bottle. Unlike many 1/2 gallon "growlers" that are usually clear glass , these are brown glass bottles which are better for bottling Homebrew. Reuse of the bottles is what pushed me towards this beer today. Pretty good beer though!

BTW , If anybody sees beer in brown 1 liter lever top (like grolsch) bottles please let me know. I can buy empty bottles for $3+ but buying beer in them and just paying the deposit (about $1.50 usually for that type bottle) usually works out better assuming its a good beer.

Opa Opa is a good rich grainy tasting beer.

Should put me in just the right mood by the 4th quarter of the Miami game tonight.

Lets see ....it works out to about $1.30 per 12 OZ , that's competitive I guess for such a rich tasting beer. Don't know the ABV off hand.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Raven

Question

bottles that big would have to have a good sealing top
or it would all go flat

don't they make those rubber Jobbies?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Saltheart

I've used growlers for years and indeed , you need to be careful with the cap or it will be flat. the caps seal fine for a few refills but then you need to buy new caps which the homebrew stores sell.

They do make growlers with the grolsch tops but they are hugely expensive. i have one and its about $25 for a good heavy brown glass one.

Saltheart
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Saltheart

Turns out to be a great deal if you want the brown glass growlers. Most people sell just the bottle for $4.95! This is $6.99 plus $2 deposit. So for $4 over the cost of the bottle you get a bottle full of pretty good beer.

Saltheart
Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
JohnnySaxatilis

Salt I have about a dozen brown glass growlers in the shed from Magic Hat and Cape Cod Beer. I usually use two for each visit to the Cape Cod Beer brewery, but I havent gone since the dead of winter. My brother just stashes the magic hat ones for when he goes to vermont about once a year. deffinately the way to go. but like mentioned, you pretty much need to drink the growler that day or else it goes flat; having said that, its not usually a problem cuz its always something delicious

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Turns out to be a great deal if you want the brown glass growlers. Most people sell just the bottle for $4.95! This is $6.99 plus $2 deposit. So for $4 over the cost of the bottle you get a bottle full of pretty good beer.
I think you can get a growler for even cheaper than that if you go to the bar/restaurant if youre in the area

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Saltheart

I've been enjoying their beer. I plan to get two more tonight. I may try something other than the brown , just for variety but the Brown Ale is a really good beer. Two more should give me enough bottles to put my 5 gallon batch in 12 -1liter bottles and the rest in the 4 brown growlers from the Opa Opa.

Saltheart