Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Home Duplicator Question

So, my dad brought me a router yesterday so I could really put a dent in some work on my homemade duplicator, but I had a question. I'm gonna be using the vega insert diamond carbide cutter tip. What are the dimensions of the vega tip holder itself? Figured I should start practicing now. Also, any suggestions for a straight router bit would be helpful as well. As always, thanks in advance.

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

what are you going to be doing with the router and bit?

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

He wants to plow a trough in the top of his duplicator to put the cutter/holder into.
Dan, I will be in the shop later and get a look at my holder and some measurements. I would recommend waiting until you have the piece in your hands to verify before plowing that out though.... Have you considered drilling it? I have to look at some of the other homemade dup threads to get some more ideas....I have to see how you will lock it in
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

OK,
You don't even have to set it in a dado if you don't want to

attaching it with 4 lag screws and maybe some flat steel across the top with holes drilled in them for the lags to go thru. something like that is easy and only take some hardware and a drill, no router needed.

I think I plowed out the groove in mine with my dado set in my table saw, and only used 1 lag with a big washer.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Thanks guys, yeah, I'm horrible at being able to explain with the correct terminology. I've looked at some of the homemade dup threads and a fair amount of them seem to be recessed into the sled. And I figured I'd try to make it as nice as possible. Lots of great ideas with the mounting hardware too. Lots to think about. Lots to experiment with. As always, I'm humbled by the amount of expertise and willingness to teach on here! Thanks again.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

The tool that holds the insert is 1/2" square. Remember you need to have it on center so I would recommend making your plate that the sled will sit on and then make your sled, being sure you make it high enough to get the tool and insert to be on center, slightly angled to allow some adjustment. Also you want to make the sled as low as possible so that the tool is not too high up and making it harder to control. You can control the height of the sled by making your plate as high as you can off your lathe bed. I would shoot for having your base about 3.5" inches below the center of your lathe. If you are lower than that with your base plate make some shims to put below it to bring up your height. You want stability. So I would make your plate first and then figure out how high you need the insert to be and then make your sled to accommodate that measurement. Hope that helps.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

You have seen this old post right?

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ght=duplicator

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

I have seen it.....unreal. But question, you say that both the tool holder and follower need to be adjustable. I get the tool holder, but I couldn't see where or how you adjust the follower. I was planning on just inserting the follower and then adjusting the tool holder to that. Are you using some sort of set screw for the follower I didn't see?

Old 11-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Yes I have a set screw on the follower. You will want to do the opposite of what you what to do and adjust the follower to the tool bit as the tool bit has to be set on center first and then the follow is adjusted to the tool bit. You can't just insert the follower and then do it the way you said as who knows where the tool bit will be in relation to the center line of the lathe. P.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Great advice!! Thank you!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Yes I have a set screw on the follower. You will want to do the opposite of what you what to do and adjust the follower to the tool bit as the tool bit has to be set on center first and then the follow is adjusted to the tool bit. You can't just insert the follower and then do it the way you said as who knows where the tool bit will be in relation to the center line of the lathe. P.
once the dado is determined to the correct depth, the bit will be at it's desired height to the center line. that's how i did it.
my follower is fixed

Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Well you are precision and I'll bet most are not good enough to do that so I suggest he do it my way. My tool holder in the sled is mounted at a slight angle so I can raise and lower it slightly if need be.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

I have no idea how I'm gonna make the follower adjustable. I understand the concept, but my sled is a solid chunk of wood, so I don't see where or how to implement a set screw or other way to make it adjustable. I'm gonna have it so the sled actually travels back and fourth on wheels in a track as well as side to side along the lathe, so would that remove the need for the adjustable aspect?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Stop. No wheels. You need to establish the plate, or horizontal plane that the dupe will slide on FIRST. Then you can determine the height of the tool holder, which should be center of the drive. We'll get to set screws later. I have some scraps of formica counter you can use to work on your platform. Don't forget that you want to use the platform as a place to attach your patterns, and be able to replicate that process precisely and easily. Instead of building top down, you need to start with your foundation, and then build up.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

cool. Yeah, I'll probably get going on the platform soon. Work has been nuts, so I haven't had too much time to do too much. But thanks as always for all the advice.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #16
fishing bum wannabe

I have a duplicator with the sled made of maple. In order to get a screw and thread in the maple to make the follower adjustable you can add threaded inserts or you can just thread the wood. On mine I drilled a pilot, screwed in a #12 screw, used it as a tap, then ground off the pointed tip of the screw and it became my set screw. I use an aluminum follower and the screw digs in a little, locking everything in place. I've had zero issues with it. You can see the screw head in the photo on the left. I plan to change out the aluminum for something plastic that will slide smoother against the template.

As far as getting the cutter height exact, you can do it with shims. The groove is pretty tight side to side on my sled but about 1/8" too deep for the tool holder. I have a small block of maple in the groove as well as a couple of shims to tweak it to the correct height. The shims are made out of some stainless I had leftover from making lips. Everything locks down tight and works great. You can see the end of the wooden shim sticking out of the groove at the back of the sled in the photo on the right. The 4 #12 screws hold everything firmly in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	900x900px-LL-89af366f_IMG_2108.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	57921   Click image for larger version

Name:	sled.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	57922  

Last edited by fishing bum wannabe; 01-08-2014 at 02:26 PM..

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Looks great. I keep telling guys that a set up made of wood is fine for this stuff.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device