Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Welker gone....

Broncos. 2 year deal. Felt the Pats low balled him and was still pissed Belichek benched him in a playoff game two seasons ago....
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I was just going to post that I heard from my uncle he went to Denver
2 years at 12 million? are you kidding me

WTF
the Patriots should be ashamed of themselves for letting him get away or not taking care of him. Maybe it's arrogance or something. Welker deserves better

He will surely be missed by me and I am pissed off.
Peyton Manning has to be the happiest guy in football right now

If the Pats sign/trade Larry Johnson or something, that might ease the sting, but they better get defense if they want to win a superbowl before Brady is gone

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Backbeach Jake

They offered Welker 2 years at 5mil per. Plus incentives, which they control and Welker can't. They Didn't play Wes until they were forced to by injuries last year. He didn't forger that. Also last year he made 9.5 mil as a franchise player. So they offered him half? I'd be gone too. The owners this season are playing hardball. All of them. Denver got a gift from the football gods.. I wish you well, Wes.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Different offensive Coordinator calling the shots? I don't get it, he's a money player.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
iamskippy

I think its clear that everyone here knows i hate the pats, but i love welker, i am not sure letting him go to denver with manning was a good move.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Karl F

ongoing Welker/Belichick feud.. (remember the back and forth last Sept. & Oct.) .."I did that to stick it in Belichick's Face".. "Maybe Welker has a carreer as a comedian".. the freeze out.. .. MacDaniel also likes the young gun they had waiting in the wings.. hopefully.. Amendola is done with injuries.. similar type to Welker on the field.... when he's been there.
Anyways.. I think it was a Randy Moss type exit.. your run the mouth.. Bill gets out the ax
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Saltheart

A sad day for the Pats fans. That guy, on the field, earned the right to finish out his playing days here.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
A sad day for the Pats fans. That guy, on the field, earned the right to finish out his playing days here.
Absolutely!
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
BigBo

I'll bet Brady's a bit pissed too after voluntarily taking a lesser salary in order for them to keep the likes of Welker.
This one's going to bite them in the ass if Welker and Manning develop the same chemistry that he and Brady had.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Raven

aside from the fact he was dropping the ball on Key plays (sh!t happens)
i think he will be HAPPIER playing for the Bronco's and he deserves it
as he puts 100% effort into his Preparation and has that winning attitude
that he wasn't able to express, Bellichick acts like the head NUN at a convent
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
Sea Dangles

Emotions aside, you dont pay for the past. Welker led the league in drops. He was a nobody when we got him. Anxious to see some moves because Denver is loading up
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

i love welker. maybe since we haven't won the big one with him the powers that be decided to go in a different direction. maybe they didn't want him to grow old on thier dime. maybe like most that leave he won't perform as well elsewhere. maybe there was bad blood between the two sides. maybe all of the above. you can be sure that tb was kept real time aware of developments. that said i'm going to miss that tough sob.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
JackK
Not Jack

Welker did not lead the league in drops. That was Jimmy Graham. Calvin Johnson had more drops than Welker.

The move makes no sense now that they've brought in Amendola. Welker would have continued catching ~100 per year for the next few years while the window is still there. His stats showed no significant downward trend. Why get rid of a proven commodity who has great chemistry with your QB for an unproven, more expensive, injury prone option?
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

In Reality He is not more expensive than Welker...only $10 mil is guaranteed of the $31 mil....and that is for 5 years.

So if he doesn't pan out after 2 years and they launch him...it is still cheaper than Welker.

Not saying it was smart to get Rid of Welker.....but this kid could pan out as a decent replacement.

Team him up with Gronk and Hernandez....and IF they can ALL stay healthy....we should be fine. Just don't expect him to be Welker...he could turn out to be as good as Cruz though, now that he has a Solid QB throwing to him.

Their Achilles is still the secondary....and they haven't shown anything in the way of fixing that.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
JackK
Not Jack

Absolutely the guaranteed money is what's important, for sure.

But here's the question- if you were running a pro football team worth 1.4 BILLION dollars, had plenty of cap space, a limited window for your your HoF QB and the difference between a proven stellar player in your system and an injury prone unknown was only two million... Why not spend it?

I agree with Karl F- this reeks of a personal vendetta.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
fishsmith
DDG-51

Until the Pats start losing I'm not going to question their roster moves. Welker was was the best receiver in Pats history, and arguably the toughest man in NFL history given the hits he's walked away from. but for me it's still IN BILL WE TRUST.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
I'll bet Brady's a bit pissed too after voluntarily taking a lesser salary in order for them to keep the likes of Welker.
This one's going to bite them in the ass if Welker and Manning develop the same chemistry that he and Brady had.
Yep, it might bite in the ass when we play denver in the AFC championship game this year

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Time will tell if the move to Amendola will pan out, I hope he stays on the field

They still need defense
defend the pass and rush the passer or they won't get past Denver

Baltimore is losing players left and right

SF is making moves too

Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackK View Post
Absolutely the guaranteed money is what's important, for sure.

But here's the question- if you were running a pro football team worth 1.4 BILLION dollars, had plenty of cap space, a limited window for your your HoF QB and the difference between a proven stellar player in your system and an injury prone unknown was only two million... Why not spend it?

I agree with Karl F- this reeks of a personal vendetta.
Not arguing that....but the Deal is Done....so moving forward we have Amendola.

And Belicheck has ALWAYS jettisoned players that, he feels, are getting to "Big for Their Britches"....

There was definitely something going on between those 2.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I was just going to post that I heard from my uncle he went to Denver
2 years at 12 million? are you kidding me

WTF
the Patriots should be ashamed of themselves for letting him get away or not taking care of him. Maybe it's arrogance or something. Welker deserves better

He will surely be missed by me and I am pissed off.
Peyton Manning has to be the happiest guy in football right now

If the Pats sign/trade Larry Johnson or something, that might ease the sting, but they better get defense if they want to win a superbowl before Brady is gone
Have to aggree with all that you said.. Nancy is beside herself... Now she can add the Welker jersey to her closet of trades ( which includes Seymore,Law,Dillon and Vrable)... she was so mad ( at the Pat's) that she turned off the TV when they started talking about it....my big itch is that he went to Denver... it surely will come back to bite them.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #21
Saltheart

Yes , of all the places to send that kind of workhorse receiver , we send him to Manning!!

Saltheart
Old 03-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
Raven

one thing for sure

i'll be watching all the bronco's Games

he's worth seeing
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackK View Post
Welker did not lead the league in drops. That was Jimmy Graham. Calvin Johnson had more drops than Welker.

The move makes no sense now that they've brought in Amendola. Welker would have continued catching ~100 per year for the next few years while the window is still there. His stats showed no significant downward trend. Why get rid of a proven commodity who has great chemistry with your QB for an unproven, more expensive, injury prone option?

Rank

Name

Team

Targets

Catches

Drops

Catchable

Drop Rate

Wes Welker

NE

Calvin Johnson

DET

Brandon Marshall

CHI

Victor Cruz

NYG

Eric Decker

DEN

Donnie Avery

IND

Demaryius Thomas

DEN

Dez Bryant

DAL

Randall Cobb

GB

Steve Johnson

BUF

Not to mention we have two tight ends that work the middle of the field already.We need a big,sideline receiver.End of story.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
Slipknot
Super Moderator

percentage-wise, Welker is behind 5 other receivers

only Calvin Johnson caught more balls than he did but Johnson also had 32 more balls thrown his way

he may have dropped more balls that someone considered catchable, but he had more thrown to him

it should be about production not dropped balls

yes we need a big sideline guy who can go up and get the ball

maybe Josh M. is wrecking the team

Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #25
vineyardblues

I wish football was every sunday
And play 2 SB games with a two week rest in between ...lol
snow rain hail , bring it on !!
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
JackK
Not Jack

That PFF link doesn't include tight ends. Just WRs. And those are the PFF stats, which don't match any of the other ones... And according to PFF, his drop percentage was higher in 2011- 13%- so why did they offer him $16 mil then??

Graham's drop rate was higher- trust me, he was on my fantasy team

Football | NFL | Leaders - Pass Dropped - washingtonpost.com

Dropped Passes - 2012 NFL Season Statistics

NFL Leaders - Pass Dropped - Football - NBC Sports

6th

... And those two TEs, and your new slot WR, can't stay healthy.

Jennings would probably be a good fit, but what about D?? I just don't see why they would take Amendola over WW.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
Slipknot
Super Moderator

gonna be a while for this fan to get over it

yikes

Wes Welker Says Goodbye To The New England Patriots: Debbie's Reaction - YouTube!

yep, have another belt Debbie

lmao

Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #28
Saltheart

Saltheart
Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #29
FishermanTim

Let's see what the Pats can do with what they have now, and see what the team dynamics look like when the injury bug starts showing up again and again?
Name another player that took the kind of beating Welker did and still played?
How many receivers would willingly take the kinds of hits Welker did and not complain?
I'm don't know what problem existed between Belichek and Welker, but treating him like they did was just an insult to a player that gave his heart, soul AND body for the team!
At least he didn't pull a "Gronk" and party when he should have been rehabbing, huh?

I hope if/when we play Denver, the Broncos hand us out heads on a platter!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #30
Sea Dangles

There seem to be a lot of man crushes on Welker. I haven't heard the likes since we didn't resign whats his name. So, earth to Welker lovers,the ENTIRE NFL had a shot a Wes and besides the obligatory insult we offerred up only one other team was in the hunt.So there are 26 teams that took a pass on that bidding war!Now we have "fans" abandoning the Pats(what do they know?) and breaking out their Broncos pompoms?WTF
The only reason that the injury bug doesn't hurt us as much as other teams is because our system dictates a dollar value on each position that we don't exceed,enabling us to acquire depth and keep us in the conversation. Better to say goodbye a year too early than a year too late.I get the impression Bill doesn't much care about Nancy's shirt collection unless it has a 12 on it.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN