Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 08-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
FishHawk

RI salt ponds

What RI salt ponds do you like to fish? Have never yakked the salt ponds yet and would like to know which ones would be the best ? Any problems with current when crossing over to get into these ponds? Thanks for your help . FishHawk
FishHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

pond yakking

oops, meant to PM

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Thermoklein

Can anyone comment on the annual "worm spawns" that happen in the back ponds? I understand this generally happens in June as the waters reach a critical temp, is that right?

Supposedly, thyis is a great opportunity for flyfishermen and/or 'yakkers. Where to go? Charleston? Quonny? Pt. Judith pond? I'd love to hear a few ideas from guys who've experienced this.

Thanks!

PS - I can't believe how friendly and forthcoming you guys are. I frequent a couple of sports-fan boards as well, and they are not exactly courteous. I'm very psyched to be learning from such cool dudes.
Thermoklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
LKB3rd

The worm hatch happens at night and i believe it coincides with the moon phase. Fish are notoriously picky during this time, and will often swim through the worms gulping in mouthfuls. I've heard of people having success with eels on the bottom under the worms, as well as a " match the hatch" approach, but whatever you do, don't be surp[rised if you get skunked.
LKB3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
ridler72
Lubina Estriada!

I have only fished Quonny and the Narrow River in the Spring and then late Fall.

Quonny is an easy paddle within the Pond. I have paddled through the breachway at Quonny on the last 1/2 hour of the outgoing on a North Wind only with small swells on the outside and ride it back in on the change. Not recommended for beginners to attempt the inlet paddle. Most of the time the fishing is good enough to stay inside the pond.

The Narrow River is more bottled but nothing extreme. I mostly land and cast the drops or drift. The Narrow River mouth is another story. I have made that paddle launching from inside the Narrow River and launching from State Pier 5. I have held my breath more then once for standing waves that show at the mouth. Rough seas and easterly winds make it impossible to pass at times. Not recommended for beginners to pass the mouth and us vets should remember that too at times.

Kayak Fishing Baby! Fish Reel Hard!
ridler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Question

i heard some of those salt ponds can be pretty deep in certain places.

i would love to bottom fish some of these areas from a yak.

anyone try that?

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
falkners

Worm spawns happen both day and night depending on the location & species of worm. The worm spawns in the R.I. salt ponds typically happen in the daytime, usually in the afternoons as the water hits the critical temperature and tend to shut down at dark. In Connecticut the ones I am familiar with are around the new and full moons around the high ebb which typically is anywhere from 10 pm to 2-3 am in the morning. The best ones I have seen were in August in my area. In Rhode Island they occur in May and June depending when the water hits the 60 degree mark. This occurs in the shallow back portions of the ponds first. My understanding is that the Cape has a similar event about the same time of the year. The ones I have stumbled upon here in Central Conn. usually start aroun 3-4 days prior to and after the new and full moon phases.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Striped-Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermoklein View Post
Can anyone comment on the annual "worm spawns" that happen in the back ponds? I understand this generally happens in June as the waters reach a critical temp, is that right?
More or less... The conditions required are a mid-day low tide on a warm sunny day that permits the mud flats to warm. That triggers the "hatch" which occurs on the incoming tide. So it's related to the moon, but the link is the timing of the tides and weather. Actually, the event can and does occur in cool weather/water, but most people miss it.
Striped-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote