Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Why isnt Obama listening?

Just curious, it seems the public has been consistent in its opposition to the Health Care Bill. No one has been able to express the benefits to the average person who currently has healthcare. It seems like a big welfare program.
Why is Obama moving forward when the American people are (from what the polls suggest) against it?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
H'

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

heroin?

Old 03-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Fishpart
Keep The Change

As a result of his progressive educationin Cambridge, MA he knows way better than we do what is good for us.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Nebe

perhaps he knows something we dont.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Great timing: right in the middle of Obama explaining "HIS" (did anyone count the number of "my" used?) health care plan, the TV network launches the "EMERGENCY BROADCAST ALERT" system....coincidence?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
As a result of his progressive educationin Cambridge, MA he knows way better than we do what is good for us.
He was sharp before he came to Cambridge
Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
He was sharp before he came to Cambridge
I wonder what happened to him since then?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

O - "Everything there is to say about health care has been said, and just about everybody has said it," he said. "Now is the time to make a decision about how to finally reform health care so that it works, not just for the insurance companies, but for America's families and America's businesses."

I just dont get it. I respect people moving forward with their plans despite opposition, but there is such a huge gap in support. I dont even hear people who support it being that passionate about it, they just merely say we need to do something and this is a step. I think he just wants a victory under his belt, to say he passed something major. This is going to haunt him and the Dems.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
O - I think he just wants a victory under his belt, to say he passed something major. This is going to haunt him and the Dems.

BINGO!

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
buckman

It has to be arrogance. With those ears, he has to hear us.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Raven

every presidency has tried to tackle this problem and failed
because of it's complexity

so if he achieves it....it will indeed be a victory

is the bill ultimately flawed - you betcha
--------------------------------------------------------------------------->
ps. i signed up to elect sarah palin for president
just so i could send her crap to the spam zone.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

[QUOTE=Raven;751970]every presidency has tried to tackle this problem and failed
because of it's complexity

so if he achieves it....it will indeed be a victory

is the bill ultimately flawed - you betcha
QUOTE]

but at what cost? The have nots seem to gain, the haves seem to lose. despite the Democrats best efforts, we still have more have than have nots in this country (sarcasm). Solving a problem is a good thing, isnt this just moving a problem to a new one?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
Joe

I noticed that they take the sickest kids first at Hasbro, everybody else has to wait regardless of coverage or ability to pay. I know you were worried about waiting behind a freeloader.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I noticed that they take the sickest kids first at Hasbro, everybody else has to wait regardless of coverage or ability to pay. I know you were worried about waiting behind a freeloader.
How about behind a hypocritcal congressman's kid?

Hasbro does most things right. Great place
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #16
Joe

Obama's a true believer that government can enact positive change.....very similar to Bobby Kennedy. That's the scary part. Most politicians are purely opportunistic and predictable, this guy really believes.
He's willing to trade a second term for health care. But if it does pass he'll parade out a bunch of people at election time who will say he saved their lives and pull at the heartstrings of an easily manipulated electorate.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #17
crashfromamesbury

if you dont' agree with what he is doing you need to contact your legislators and tell them outright if they vote for this.. we will vote them out.. its a simple solution.. look what happened in mass.. people voted against a person (martha coakley ) who would have voted for it.. if this goes thru its going to bankrupt our country.. if he wants to lower the price of healthcare, first go after tort reform.. if you lower the payouts in malpractice cases you will lower the cost of malpractice insurance , which in turn will lower the rates doctors and hospitals will have to charge to cover their insurance premiums..

many people are tired of waiting in emergency rooms behind illegals who use the er as their doctors office.. thats not going to change unless they work on immigration reform.. or start enforcing the already existing immigration laws..
but thats another can of worms for another thread..

I heard somewhere that piping plover is indian for "tastes like chicken" ..
Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
Joe

Clinton would float a public opinion poll and if it cost more votes than it garnered, he'd ditch it. He was the perfect example of an opportunist - not so with this guy.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
Backbeach Jake

I can't for the life of me deny anyone medical services as needed. ANYONE. Healthcare in this country as it is, is a travesty. Sure we have the most sophisticated technology in the world, but for a price and for only those who can afford it. We are inches away from having an Indian style class system. And those who don't have are the "untouchables". Health care has become a chain that keeps you in a job as well. Looking to better yourself (read this as keeping you in your "class") is made difficult by healthcare. Everyone deserves their good health and a means to maintain it. I'm just not selfish enough to let someone suffer and die for lack of healthcare.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
I'm just not selfish enough to let someone suffer and die for lack of healthcare.
Liberal Pussy

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #21
Fly Rod

He hasn't heard the words, "Impeach Him."

OOPS! Wrong icon. "Oh well."
Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #22
scottw

Quote:
I can't for the life of me deny anyone medical services as needed. ANYONE. Healthcare in this country as it is, is a travesty. I'm just not selfish enough to let someone suffer and die for lack of healthcare.
I had to take my mom to the hospital the other day for a procedure and on the way in and out of the entrance we had to literally step over dozens of bodies of all of the people who had apparently been denied healthcare and suffered and died......it was gross...and there were all of these rich people with IV's and casts and stitches pointing and laughing....

I'm going to call Patrick Kennedy, Sheldon Whitehouse, Jim Langevin and Jack Reed and tell them that the need to oppose this healthcare plan.........never mind...
Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #23
Joe

Neutron care is what we have now for the uninsured. It leaves the patient standing, but destroys all his assets. They'll treat you now, and sic a collection agency on you later.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #24
Backbeach Jake

There ya go Joe. And if you have no assets, then what? You're at the mercy of whatever the PRESENT government will afford you. Suppose it's a stingy government? You're schrod in Boston..
Old 03-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:
Neutron care is what we have now for the uninsured. It leaves the patient standing, but destroys all his assets. They'll treat you now, and sic a collection agency on you later.
you don't know what you are talking about....
Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #26
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Obama's a true believer that government can enact positive change.....very similar to Bobby Kennedy. That's the scary part. Most politicians are purely opportunistic and predictable, this guy really believes.
He's willing to trade a second term for health care. But if it does pass he'll parade out a bunch of people at election time who will say he saved their lives and pull at the heartstrings of an easily manipulated electorate.
Joe - what happened to a government for the people, by the people?
If the people are against it and the president is for it, shouldnt the people win? What you state as opportunistic is a control built into the system, it SHOULD benefit a politician when they go with the will of the people, no?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I can't for the life of me deny anyone medical services as needed. ANYONE. Healthcare in this country as it is, is a travesty. Sure we have the most sophisticated technology in the world, but for a price and for only those who can afford it. We are inches away from having an Indian style class system. And those who don't have are the "untouchables". Health care has become a chain that keeps you in a job as well. Looking to better yourself (read this as keeping you in your "class") is made difficult by healthcare. Everyone deserves their good health and a means to maintain it. I'm just not selfish enough to let someone suffer and die for lack of healthcare.
ahh, the liberal heart, a beautiful thing. Im not selfish enough to have my kids without a good education, so I work my arse off to save for it, Im not selfsih enough to have my kids without healthcare, so I work my arse off for it. Every night as I sit reading with my kids while a bunch of jack offs are out drinking beers at the bar and their kids are playing nintendo, the kids grow up to be bozos like their parents and Im supposed to pay for it? Working my arse off helps the country, drives growth, drives consumer spending, drives tax revenue, drives debt reducuton, etc. All good things. Government hand outs only drive the need for more government hand outs. WElfare is a failure.
Lets reform the HC system, this bill expands the system. How is that a good thing?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #28
striperman36
Old Guy

Hillary;s approach back in Bills first term was better,
I am hopin we don't get this passed in semblance of what either bill is today.

We need reform but lets really think what is needed not what they think is needed.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #29
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Found on msnbc.com, says it all....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bo.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	38791  

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #30
Joe

Jim: You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. It's o.k. to discount what I think - a lot of people have - but I believe my points were valid.