Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Jim in CT

AIG suing federal govt over terms of bailout

You can't make this stuff up, you just can't.

Rescued by a Bailout, A.I.G. May Sue Its Savior - Yahoo! Finance
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

3rd go round. The dude is a real (............)!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Holy crap the crazy thing is it sounds like they can win too
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
JohnnyD

Next people on welfare and food stamps are going to start suing the government because they can't use their EBT at Five-Star restaurants... or can they? It wouldn't be a surprise if they could.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Next people on welfare and food stamps are going to start suing the government because they can't use their EBT at Five-Star restaurants... or can they? It wouldn't be a surprise if they could.
Possible JD, don't know under current law if they could sell the food stamps
discounted to get cash? Like the law would matter anyway.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

when you swim with the sharks.......

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:

Here you go. In NYC, EBT can be used at liquor stores, adult video stores, strip clubs.

Awesome use of taxpayer money.

EXCLUSIVE: Welfare recipients using EBT cards to get cash at strip clubs, X-rated video stores and bars - NYPOST.com
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Here you go. In NYC, EBT can be used at liquor stores, adult video stores, strip clubs.

Awesome use of taxpayer money.

EXCLUSIVE: Welfare recipients using EBT cards to get cash at strip clubs, X-rated video stores and bars - NYPOST.com
As a middle-class business owner, I pay the highest total tax rates when you take Federal, State, FICA and all the yearly fees into consideration.

Every year I wonder why the hell I work my ass off for essentially the same benefits as the dirtbags that sit at home living on the dole with no desire to get off. Then I remember that I'm a (moderately) respectable human being who cares about contributing to society.

However, being able to use my government dole at the tittybar makes welfare look more and more like the better option.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
However, being able to use my government dole at the tittybar makes welfare look more and more like the better option.
Right. Because common sense dictates that you want to make welfare as attractive and comfortable as possible. God forbid you provide incentives for people to get off the public dole.

One of my brothers is self-employed. Like me, lived in CT his whole life. Last year, he sat with me to compare taxes between Connecticut and Tennessee. I got all the data and sharpened my pencil. I conservatively estimated that he would save $1400 a month by moving to Tennessee, and that was just taxes - it ignored how much cheaper housing and public universities are down there.

He now has a nice house in a Nashville suburb, and he is saving almost $1800 a month in taxes (personal and business).

CT and MA will be uninhabitable wastelands in 40 years. People will be moving from CT to North Korea for economic opportunity.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Sea Dangles

I would rather chew tinfoil than raise a family in Tennessee.Two days,three tops and I would be gone for good.Go rockytop.Memphis would be cool for Q and live blues though.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I would rather chew tinfoil than raise a family in Tennessee.Two days,three tops and I would be gone for good.Go rockytop.Memphis would be cool for Q and live blues though.
heres an attempt at a civil disucssion. Why?
Tell me (civilly) what Easton MA has to offer that TN does not.
In making my decision to move to TX, the only thing that was keeping me in MA was access to the ocean. Every other aspect in my families life, will and has approved moving to TX.
I can guarantee you TN will have more culture, music, art, food etc. What is MA culture? Harpoon brew fest and clam chowder? What music and food comes from MA? In TN, the people will be warm and welcoming, familiy values are strong. Sports and Academics are huge priorities. there is a great section in the book 50 Things Liberals Love to hate. The chapter is the South. There is a great point that liberals talk about diversity yet how often do you see whites and blacks together? In the South, you'll see it all the time. I agree. In TX, last week we went with the kids to a soul food restaurant, live jazz, audience was the after church blacl crowd mixed with college kids and white families. I've told you guys Glen becks kid is on my sons footbal team, I didnt mention that there are asian, black and one kid who has 2 moms. Yup, all in redneck land. I dont want to turn this into a pro-TX thread, but please tell me why raising a family in TN would be so bad?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. Elitist as it sounds.

He lives in a gorgeous house in a gorgeous suburb of Nashville. Newer schools. All kinds of healthy activities for the kids. Lots of successful middle and upper-middle class folks. There is more to the south these days than tobacco road and trailer parks.

I cannot imagine what even the governor of CT would say, to convince anyone that CT is $1800-a-month better than TN. Thats a lot of green. Over a lifetime, it's an absolute fortune to the vast majority of folks.

You're entitled to your opinion. And I'm also sure that if most folks in Tennessee spent a month in CT, they would be baffled at why anyone would pay $1800-a-month more, for our entire lives, to live in CT.

The CT population is shrinking, that's a fact. And the people we are losing are precisely the ones that we need to keep.

I also would love to go to Memphis for the 'Memphis in May' BBQ cookoff. The Super Bowl of pork.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-10-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
heres an attempt at a civil disucssion. Why?
In making my decision to move to TX, the only thing that was keeping me in MA was access to the ocean. Every other aspect in my families life, will and has approved moving to TX.
I can guarantee you TN will have more culture, music, art, food etc. What is MA culture? Harpoon brew fest and clam chowder? What music and food comes from MA? In TN, the people will be warm and welcoming, familiy values are strong. Sports and Academics are huge priorities. there is a great section in the book 50 Things Liberals Love to hate. The chapter is the South. There is a great point that liberals talk about diversity yet how often do you see whites and blacks together? In the South, you'll see it all the time. I agree. In TX, last week we went with the kids to a soul food restaurant, live jazz, audience was the after church blacl crowd mixed with college kids and white families. I've told you guys Glen becks kid is on my sons footbal team, I didnt mention that there are asian, black and one kid who has 2 moms. Yup, all in redneck land. I dont want to turn this into a pro-TX thread, but please tell me why raising a family in TN would be so bad?
No ocean
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
fishbones

Quote:
Some of the best tog fishermen in the world.

And some really good Mexican and Thai food.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

One of the big things that would keep me from moving south is the Heat...I don't like the oppresive heat.

I lived in SC for 3 years and dreaded the summer time. I also like 4 seasons.....

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-10-2013 at 12:00 PM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
And some really good Mexican and Thai food.
for white people!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

interested in Dangles response.
read this - can you say this about New England?

Relocating to East Tennessee | Why Move to Tennessee? | Annie Maloney Realtor

Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
fishbones

Quote:
for white people!
Ummm, I'm white. I have no need to have everything authentic the way other cultures originally made it. I guess I'm just simple, but I like what tastes good to me. Give me a Budweiser and some boneless buffalo wings and I'm happy. I also like to try different stuff, but I don't need to try something because someone else thinks it's better.

I'm sure that there are other great places to live, but they aren't better than where I am now for one reason. My family is near me here.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Piscator

Quote:
Ummm, I'm white. I have no need to have everything authentic the way other cultures originally made it. I guess I'm just simple, but I like what tastes good to me. Give me a Budweiser and some boneless buffalo wings and I'm happy. I also like to try different stuff, but I don't need to try something because someone else thinks it's better.

I'm sure that there are other great places to live, but they aren't better than where I am now for one reason. My family is near me here.
X2! I've lived in other parts of country. This is Home. For me and my family.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
A great answer. I'm in the same boat. But here in New England, we pay dearly to be near our families. I live 2 miles from my parents. It's so awesome that my kids get to have dinner with their grandparents 3 or 4 nights a week. But boy I'd love to convince my parents and brothers to move to the southeast with me, maybe NC or SC or TN. The decrease in cost-of-living is truly life-altering. And it's only going to get more drastic.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
striperman36
Old Guy

Asheville, NC is looking pretty nice too. I spent several months working in Nashville, TN when a customer acquired a technology company there. Very nice place, with alot of culture.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

family is a great reason - but not sure it would drive dangles to say - "I would rather chew tinfoil than raise a family in Tennessee.Two days,three tops and I would be gone for good.Go rockytop.Memphis would be cool for Q and live blues though"

thats a comment on TN, not on the proxemity to his family. I want to understand what makes TN a god awful place compared to MA? I lived in Mansfield for 10 yrs as an adult and father. I can't tell you whats so great about it. Its a fine area, ok schools. People are ok, etc. Could i put a sales pitch on why people should move there? Positives - 1hr from ocean, ok. But really, thats it. $4 to park in train lot, $300 a month for a rail pass to Boston, high taxes, school cuts, growing malls and stores, yuck. Do you take scenic drives through Attleboro, Lowell, South boston, Worcester, New Haven etc and say wow, its sure is pretty here! Why do New Englanders, in general, hate the south and southwest? My friends looked at us as if we were from mars when we said we are moving to TX.

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 01-10-2013 at 02:29 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why do New Englanders, in general, hate the south and southwest? .
Arrogance and elitism. To many New Englanders (especially liberals), moving to the south would be like voluntarily shifting a few spots to the left on the evolutionary poster. You know how tolerant many liberals are of people who believe the opposite what they believe on just about every topic.

Huntin' and bible-thumpin' are not as sophisticated as discussing existentialism over a few hot toddies, or discussing modern art over a few apple-tinis.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Huntin' and bible-thumpin' are not as sophisticated as discussing existentialism over a few hot toddies, or discussing modern art over a few apple-tinis.
ok, Im trying to be civil so dont rile up the masses. Here is the irony. I bet you there are more places to view modern art and have a few apple tinis in a 30 mile radius in certain areas of TN than there are in Easton MA! I guarantee it!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
fishbones

Quote:
ok, Im trying to be civil so dont rile up the masses. Here is the irony. I bet you there are more places to view modern art and have a few apple tinis in a 30 mile radius in certain areas of TN than there are in Easton MA! I guarantee it!
Jim, Easton is a small town. You can't compare Easton to a major city. If you compare Boston to Chattanooga or Nashville, It will probably come out ahead in some categories and behind in some. My sister lives in Alpharetta, GA. She got a beautiful house for less than half of what she would pay up here and it's a great area (she lives in the same development as John Smoltz). There are some great things and some things that I don't care for about that area. It's probably the same in most places.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #26
fishbones

Oh yeah, Jim. I'm not really so much into modern art that it would influence where I would live. And, I bet Easton has better saltwater fishing in a 35 mile radius than any city in TN.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I personally love the town I live in. thinking that the big cities are all that Mass is about is missing a lot of the picture.

for the most part All the parents in Georgetown get involved, from Sports, school, and scouts. I am 15 minutes from the ocean, 1 hour from the White mountains and an hour and a half from portland Maine....A lot of beautiful areas out in the Berkshires and western MA as well.

Every state has it Good points and Bad points. You just choose what is important to you. How's the Skiing, Snow-Mobiling and Ice fishing in Tennesee?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #28
Sea Dangles

Not for nothing but I like Easton and it has some unique features for people who care about architecture from some very prominent names.Personally I live next to about 200 acres with a path from my driveway leading directly to it(last week I saw a huge owl devour a rodent at dusk).I am 45 minutes to my boat in Westport where my family comes to play at the beach or go out to eat on the water.I took my mom to lunch in Menemsha this summer and my wife to Block Island for a day.We just returned from a ski trip to Stowe for New Years and I went ice fishing at the Norton res last weekend.For dinner I am within an hour of three great cities in Newport,Boston and Providence all of which have plenty of arts for those who so desire. It is also nice having some professional sports teams to go see on occasion and I have 4 within 40 minutes.I went to New Orleans for jazzfest and it was great but there is no chance I could have spent a 4th day there and I wasn't exactly in a pit.Don't take it personally because I am happy Jimmy,why wouldn't I be? But my guess is Texas would fall into the New Orleans category for me;a fun place to visit.....and Memphis seems like it could offer just as much.I am sure you are happy so you needn't convince me.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #29
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Not for nothing but I like Easton and it has some unique features for people who care about architecture from some very prominent names.Personally I live next to about 200 acres with a path from my driveway leading directly to it(last week I saw a huge owl devour a rodent at dusk).I am 45 minutes to my boat in Westport where my family comes to play at the beach or go out to eat on the water.I took my mom to lunch in Menemsha this summer and my wife to Block Island for a day.We just returned from a ski trip to Stowe for New Years and I went ice fishing at the Norton res last weekend.For dinner I am within an hour of three great cities in Newport,Boston and Providence all of which have plenty of arts for those who so desire. It is also nice having some professional sports teams to go see on occasion and I have 4 within 40 minutes.I went to New Orleans for jazzfest and it was great but there is no chance I could have spent a 4th day there and I wasn't exactly in a pit.Don't take it personally because I am happy Jimmy,why wouldn't I be? But my guess is Texas would fall into the New Orleans category for me;a fun place to visit.....and Memphis seems like it could offer just as much.I am sure you are happy so you needn't convince me.
you're missing my point. I agree with everything you stated. But almost everything you said, with the exception of the ocean may be available in TN. yet you crapped on it? why? I just dont get it and its a common New England thought process. You guys all get defensive of where you live, I wasnt attacking where you live, but come on. I moved my wife from San Francisco to mansfield. Imagine her culture shock, John - she'd laugh you out of the room if you think Easton has good Mexican and Thai! Look around you, there are many great places to live. I dont understand the strong sentiment towards other parts of the country. Many of us on this thread are music fans, hell there are volumes of songs about TN. people seel to love it. Elvis lived there? Any guy that eats fried pb an dbacon samdwiches is ok in my book. The only MA song I know is Dirty Water!
HAVE AN OPEN MIND. This is a great country with some wonderful places. I just dont get the disgust.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #30
Sea Dangles

OK maybe you didn't read it all but more than half those things are NOT available in Tennessee.I would not live there under any circumstances and I have never even been there. But something tells me they could teach me something about smoking meat and not the way Fishbones does either.Maybe it is the hillbilly go #^&#^&#^&#^& your sister stereotype or the way I would like to slap Jimmy Houston as much as Charlie Moore.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN