Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 04-27-2016, 04:25 AM   #1
wdmso

Guide Alignment

Did my 1st all guide replacement came out ok but my guides are not spot on thankfully it doesn't look like an Acid wrap.. any tips would be great
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
beamie

Oh boy, so you have caught the virus.

They do make a fancy laser light you can put in the rod holder but you don't need that.

After you get all the guides on and they are 98% good take the rod out of the rod lathe or whatever you used and hold it and look down the blank several times, have a beer, look down it again.

When you see one a bit out of alignment you can carefully take your thumbs and give it a tweak and look down the blank again. The guides are tight but not that much that you can't give it a tweak before finishing.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

I find that looking from above and then below and then from above and back and forth adjusting until I get it "good enough" works for me. I have also found that placing the rod tip on the ground and flexing the rod on its side with each guide toughing the floor can help to line them up. In the end as long as they pretty much line up I am sure you'll never experience any noticeable difference while on the water so long as the guides end up on the right side of the blank

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
wdmso

Thanks for the feed back , I like the ground flex idea Haven't got the bug to build just repair my own stuff trying to keep it fun
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Eye ball as best as possible even with a lazer level odds are that blank is not 100% dead nuts straight. Sighting down the blank as Toby states is the best bet.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
stripermaineiac

Here's an old easy trick. Take a penn squidder or something close. Put in tight in the reel seat. Now you have a machined set up . Should be about as close as you can get. Put rod on flat surface. go to but and adjust guides then go to tip an make final adjustment. guides should be spot on. Just make sure the rell is centered in the reel seat. learned this trick from Whitey Krueger way back when. Good way to align guides especially on re-wraps.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote