Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #181
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Nuclear weapons don't "pull their own triggers and shoot themselves" yet for some reason we don't want NK to have them.
We don't allow Criminals and mental defectives to have guns, so what the heck is your point?

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #182
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
We don't allow... mental defectives to have guns, so what the heck is your point?
Now THAT is funny!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #183
Jim in CT

Quote:
We don't allow Criminals and mental defectives to have guns, so what the heck is your point?
The problem is, based on what happened in FL, we are allowing mental defectives to have guns.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #184
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Doctors and law enforcement are much more concerned about ARs than shotguns for mass shootings. You know guns, so you would be too if that were your concern. I defer to them over people with a infatuation for a weapon. AR is fun to shoot. Has no effect on my liberty if I can'r have one any more than not having a rocket launcher or tommy gun. A gun isn't liberty.
I never said it was not my concern

You and others are never going to understand and it's not my job to inform you, just like it was not my job, but the FBI's job to follow up on the multiple warnings by people about the unstable Cruz. But I am not going to be silent and be thought of as condoning it.

That's cute, a gun isn't liberty. no chit

We are privileged to live in the greatest nation ever and you can thank our founders for framing a constitution that allows us liberties for Capitalism to thrive. Without that you would not have the freedoms you take for granted every single day of your life. Those same liberties can take away liberty, none of us should let that happen.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #185
Sea Dangles

Like I said, Obama was spinning his wheels and made a reactionary attempt at gun reform. I agree with a lot of what Spence suggested as options for an improved system of gun control. I am not a fan of the NRA although I am sure that without their efforts we would have less liberties. There is no doubt that something is wrong here in the good ole USA with the senseless acts of killing. Let's hope it gets figured out because it is sad to see the innocent die.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #186
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

We are privileged to live in the greatest nation ever and you can thank our founders for framing a constitution that allows us liberties for Capitalism to thrive. Without that you would not have the freedoms you take for granted every single day of your life. Those same liberties can take away liberty, none of us should let that happen.
What is the definition of greatest nation ever, other than we are always told that?
What measurements did you use to define that?
Here are the things I found that we are statistically #1 in:
Gun possession, incarceration, women's olympic figure skating medals, the most super rich, wine consumption, number of plastic surgeons, horse exports, breast augmentation, death by violence, Christians, Jews, small arms imports, small arms exports, non-methane voc emissions, corn oil production, cheese, cinnamon imports, etc.
Here is where i found these rankings and maybe someone can find ones that confirm we are the greatest ever.
https://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #187
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
What is the definition of greatest nation ever, other than we are always told that?
what would be your pick for "greatest nation ever"?...and why?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #188
Sea Dangles

I am proud of what we have. If you are trying to reinvent the wheel,you will never be happy. There are plenty of shortcomings and a lot to improve upon but that was a very shallow post.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #189
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

We're probably near the top of the list for Freedoms and Opportunities
Old 02-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #190
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
What measurements did you use to define that?
Here are the things I found that we are statistically #1 in:
Gun possession, incarceration, women's olympic figure skating medals, the most super rich, wine consumption, number of plastic surgeons, horse exports, breast augmentation, death by violence, Christians, Jews, small arms imports, small arms exports, non-methane voc emissions, corn oil production, cheese, cinnamon imports, etc.
Here is where i found these rankings and maybe someone can find ones that confirm we are the greatest ever.
https://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/
Oh for Christ's sake. You sound like a sociology professor character in a bad sitcom.

How about the most free, the most generous (by far), providing the most upward economic opportunity, being one of the few to elect an ethnic minority as President.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #191
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
We're probably near the top of the list for Freedoms and Opportunities
Pfffttt, what do freedom and opportunity have to do with making a country great.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #192
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Before all of this freedom and liberties there was a way to gain riches and power, it was by plundering and force. Now we have Capitalism so hard work,competitive prices, and satisfied consumers are the way to success. Do you see that anywhere else where we have the choices we have here? America= land of opportunity.
That is why we are the best and those who want to continue to erode on our freedoms and liberties will be the ones who destroy this country, not maniac mass murderers with a gun.
Taking the lazy easy way out removing guns for the answer to protect our kids in schools is asinine. Put in safeguards like metal detectors and other solutions for immediate protection. Improve the system to keep arms out of the hands of violent people. Taking away from law abiding is NOT the answer yet half the country seems to think so like Bloomberg and Soros. If they get their way you can kiss your ass goodbye.

Pete, Sea Dangles is right, your post is very shallow. Try to see the positive.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #193
PaulS

Quote:
It looked like you were trying to make the point that guns don't kill people - people kill people.

Using that logic nukes don't kill people.

So why is it different between nukes and ARs?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #194
spence

Quote:
Felons can still buy guns from unlicensed sellers online or at gun shows. Regarding the mentally ill, we don't do anything to establish mental fitness before a gun purchase like some countries do, so unless the buyer was involuntary committed or has a court order declaring they are unfit...they can certainly buy guns.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #195
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
It looked like you were trying to make the point that guns don't kill people - people kill people.

Using that logic nukes don't kill people.

So why is it different between nukes and ARs?
so go ahead and build one then if you want one

Old 02-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #196
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Felons can still buy guns from unlicensed sellers online or at gun shows. Regarding the mentally ill, we don't do anything to establish mental fitness before a gun purchase like some countries do, so unless the buyer was involuntary committed or has a court order declaring they are unfit...they can certainly buy guns.
not in my state

Old 02-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #197
spence

Quote:
not in my state
Maybe that's one of the reasons why Mass has the lowest gun violence of any state in the USA?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #198
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Maybe that's one of the reasons why Mass has the lowest gun violence of any state in the USA?
Maybe Florida should have learned it's lesson from the Pulse Night Club shooting and fixed the problem themselves. Nobody is stopping them from being like Mass.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #199
Pete F.
Canceled

I think we were the Greatest, probably still are but I think we are in danger of losing our position economically, socially and morally.
The entire nation gets upset about a school shooting and since the 14th how many children have been killed by guns?
Do you think it is more or less than 17?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #200
PaulS

Quote:
so go ahead and build one then if you want one
shows the hypocrisy of the right I guess.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #201
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
shows the hypocrisy of the right I guess.
Does that mean the Left wants to give North Korea Nukes??

Shows the idiocy of the left I guess

Old 02-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #202
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Does that mean the Left wants to give North Korea Nukes??

Shows the idiocy of the left I guess
I don't think anyone from the left said that so I guess the right are the idiots using your logic.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #203
Slipknot
Super Moderator

what hypocrisy? that people don't kill people?
A bullet striking someone at a high rate of speed hitting a vital organ can kill someone just as dead as a nuke can, of course. So your point is to take the guns out of the hands of those who cannot be trusted? Like trying to keep a maniac dictator from getting one? Last I checked most lawful gun owners are not threatening mankind, so why gun control? there are laws that don't get enforced, do that first, if that doesn't work then work harder and smarter but don't put blame on others rights. So get rid of all weapons on earth and man will still kill even with bare hands. This could go on forever with your hypocrisy. Live in fear about every little thing that could end your life possibly. Stay inside if a revolution starts.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #204
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think anyone from the left said that so I guess the right are the idiots using your logic.
I just figured if you can make the leap by comparing owning a scarrrry looking gun to arming a known lunatic with a nuclear arsenal, then it was OK for me to make the leap that the left was cool with it, because to the left its always "Opposite Day"

Old 02-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #205
PaulS

Quote:
what hypocrisy? that people don't kill people?no the hypocrisy that we hear every time that there is a mass shooting w/a semi - that guns don't kill people, people kill people. Yet, NK can't have a nuke bc the nuke could kill us all.
A bullet striking someone at a high rate of speed hitting a vital organ can kill someone just as dead as a nuke can, of course. So your point is to take the guns out of the hands of those who cannot be trusted? Like trying to keep a maniac dictator from getting one? Last I checked most lawful gun owners are not threatening mankind, so why gun control? there are laws that don't get enforced, do that first, if that doesn't work then work harder and smarter but don't put blame on others rights. So get rid of all weapons on earth and man will still kill even with bare hands. This could go on forever with your hypocrisy. Live in fear about every little thing that could end your life possibly. Stay inside if a revolution starts.
Yhea, I live in fear

Don't think I ever heard anyone here claim all weapons on earth should be banned.

sounds like you are paranoid someone is going come knocking on your door to take your gun away - And I'm the one living in fear
Old 02-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #206
Jim in CT

Quote:
what hypocrisy? that people don't kill people?
"Last I checked most lawful gun owners are not threatening mankind, so why gun control?"

Because too many guns (legally or otherwise) get in the hands of maniacs. You really don't understand that point of view at all? Yes, cars kill more people, heart attacks kill more people, but we cannot eliminate cars or legislate heart health.

I'd say as a start, no more bump stocks or high capacity magazines. The right wouldn't go for it, the left would say it's not enough. So we do nothing.

"there are laws that don't get enforced, do that first"

I keep hearing that, but it doesn't seem to be happening does it...What law on the books, would have prevented Sandy Hook from happening with proper enforcement?

"So get rid of all weapons on earth and man will still kill even with bare hands"

This is the argument that drives me crazy, this is the kind of extremist thinking that almost always happens on the left, but on this one issue, occurs on the right. Conservatives claim that if we get rid of AR-15s and high capacity magazines, then as sure as the day follows the night, eventually we will "get rid of all weapons on Earth".

The second amendment isn't absolute, it was never intended to be without limits.

"Stay inside if a revolution starts"

Another argument I hear is that we need guns to hold off a tyrannical government. Maybe in the 1930s that was true. But today, in this country? If the feds want to kill me and take my 401(k), they can launch a laser-guided missile through my bedroom window from a thousand miles away, and I'm not sure I can prevent that with an AR-15.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #207
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
This is the argument that drives me crazy, this is the kind of extremist thinking that almost always happens on the left, but on this one issue, occurs on the right. Conservatives claim that if we get rid of AR-15s and high capacity magazines, then as sure as the day follows the night, eventually we will "get rid of all weapons on Earth".

The second amendment isn't absolute, it was never intended to be without limits.
Why isn't the NRA publicly pushing to repeal the National Firearms Act?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #208
PaulS

Quote:

no more bump stocks or high capacity magazines.
that and some laws regarding mental health and maybe age limits (21) would be a great start.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #209
Slipknot
Super Moderator

just exaggerating obviously disgusted with the panic talk and hard push to go after peoples' rights. Don't piss on me because you can't have utopia. Nothing is 100 percent, not going to happen.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #210
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
"Last I checked most lawful gun owners are not threatening mankind, so why gun control?"

Because too many guns (legally or otherwise) get in the hands of maniacs. You really don't understand that point of view at all? Yes, cars kill more people, heart attacks kill more people, but we cannot eliminate cars or legislate heart health.

I'd say as a start, no more bump stocks or high capacity magazines. The right wouldn't go for it, the left would say it's not enough. So we do nothing.

"there are laws that don't get enforced, do that first"

I keep hearing that, but it doesn't seem to be happening does it...What law on the books, would have prevented Sandy Hook from happening with proper enforcement? like we all know,
nothing is foolproof

"So get rid of all weapons on earth and man will still kill even with bare hands"

The second amendment isn't absolute, it was never intended to be without limits.the states individually put limits and in our state we have a tyrant as AG who puts in her own edicts

"Stay inside if a revolution starts"

Another argument I hear is that we need guns to hold off a tyrannical government. Maybe in the 1930s that was true. But today, in this country? If the feds want to kill me and take my 401(k), they can launch a laser-guided missile through my bedroom window from a thousand miles away, and I'm not sure I can prevent that with an AR-15.
oh, so now we need laser guided missiles?

Jim, you don't get it that they take an inch, then another inch and keep on taking. Stand up for your rights.

blaming guns is like blaming the internet, cop out

As far as the thread title, I don't agree with Trump saying arm the teachers , but I don't agree with Biden making up gun free zones either. But taking away some teachers' choice if they wanted to carry is not cool. When I went to school there were some teachers that carried concealed and I bet there were when you went as well, you just did not know it. It did not end badly.