Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
eelman

Two confirmed very large fish!

Steve just called me from Quaker lane to relay the news of two fish over 60lbs on the hook right now at the shop caught by the same angler! They were caught on live bunker....The daytime fishing right now is tremendous and its unusual for us here in Rhody to have a run of adult bunker like this in September...I have been hitting some spots I would never hit in daytime and livelining Bunker, its almost imediate bass...and there are lots of fish in the 5 to 9 foot of water range in broad daylight........there out there in force , a change of tactics is all thats needed and remember, FRESH dead chunked bunker is also deadly but it has to be fresh.....Bring on the snag hooks! Cant wait for tommorow morning, !
Old 09-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

What a waste! Who needs 120# of fish? Only someone with major self-esteem issues would kill TWO fish like that in the same day.

please open another thread if you want to discuss what is appropriate or not.

Last edited by JohnR; 09-11-2006 at 08:59 AM..
Old 09-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
eelman

unecessary

Last edited by JohnR; 09-11-2006 at 09:00 AM..
Old 09-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
libassboy

Congrats to the angler, i cant even imagine what a 60 looks like in person..when i had my 44" in close it looked as big as me!
Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
Hey, Numbskull , I Dont think that fisherman gives a rats arse what you think.......
And why would I care about that? Doesn't change the fact that it's still pathetic and it hurts the resource for the rest of us.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
Skitterpop

I want to say WOW and sad for the missing life force now... nice catch but............. Mixed thoughts here. Why keep both... I know it must have been exciting and a difficult choice.

Good health and family
Old 09-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

if someone told you he caught two 60's and threw them back - would you belive him?
Old 09-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
Addicted

Awesome...........Two fish over 60lbs is one hell of an accomplishment not to mention the rush that must have gone along
with that catch. What he does with them is his business.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
slapshot

Unless he brought in more than 2 he was perfectly legal. Who are we to say what somebody else does with their fish?

bluefish Jihadist
Old 09-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
BMEUPSCOTTY

I just can't imagine a 60 surviving a fight. No way I'd be able to bring one in in time for me to be confidant enough that my releasing it would guarantee it's survival. (I know, they have a better chance than if in the cooler.) Hard for me to imagine a 60, I've never broken 30. I guess it all depends on how many pounds of fish you have harvested over your life. I have kept less than 10 bass in over 10 years of fishing. I love to eat em' but I mostly want to ketch em'. BTW, was the fisherman on the SB stripercup team?
Old 09-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
Karl F

Question

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, a question for you, if I may. Daytime, and bunker

Boat Fish?

Big Bunker .. would love to see them up here, but we have seals who would clean them out... I gonna give them a Rhody map

this kinda confirms to me, after all the other variables, and reports I've heard, that once again, the larger fish didn't quite make it far enuf north to my area.. still hoping for a good run on the new moon..

John, we need a praying emoticon, for us sand bound cape guys.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
BMEUPSCOTTY

Old 09-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot
Unless he brought in more than 2 he was perfectly legal. Who are we to say what somebody else does with their fish?
There's nothing wrong with debating the issue, although I'd try to stay clear of personal judgements...unless the person was poaching.

Given that I would rather eat a smaller fish, and that a 60 is more laden with toxic crap anyway, I'd probably have a tough time keeping a fish that big unless I was going to have it mounted.

But, considering how this season is going...I'm not too worried about having to make any difficult decisions anytime soon

-spence
Old 09-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #14
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, a question for you, if I may. Daytime, and bunker

Boat Fish?

Big Bunker .. would love to see them up here, but we have seals who would clean them out... I gonna give them a Rhody map

this kinda confirms to me, after all the other variables, and reports I've heard, that once again, the larger fish didn't quite make it far enuf north to my area.. still hoping for a good run on the new moon..

John, we need a praying emoticon, for us sand bound cape guys.
Yes my fish this week are out of my boat, however , trust me when I say I am almost on the beach....I am just able to cover more water and the livewell helps to keep the bunker fresh Two days this week I fished with Jim White and we did very well, Steve was with us one day and broke one off that was close to 50 we saw it.... Until this dries up, you wont see me at night, there is no reason. Its cool, you have a fish on and there are 5 or 6 others following it right to the boat and some of them are brutes!

Fishaholic18 stole clammers tin boat and did very well today with bunker...I will let him tell ya!
Old 09-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #15
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
There's nothing wrong with debating the issue, although I'd try to stay clear of personal judgements...unless the person was poaching.

Given that I would rather eat a smaller fish, and that a 60 is more laden with toxic crap anyway, I'd probably have a tough time keeping a fish that big unless I was going to have it mounted.

But, considering how this season is going...I'm not too worried about having to make any difficult decisions anytime soon

-spence

There really is nothing to debate here? Its legal to keep two fish and thats that....The post before was right, if those fish didnt go to the tackle store...Evereyone would call the guy a liar.. I am sorry 60 pound fish dont get to swim again........
Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #16
bart
Red Eye Jedi

good to know there's some big fish around
Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #17
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Salt
if someone told you he caught two 60's and threw them back - would you belive him?
Nope...
I'd keep 'em...Both. I'd throw the 3rd one back..

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 09-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #18
fishaholic18
Finally

And I aggree, screw eels and nights, While there are Bunker around, I'll sleep at night.
No 60's but plenty of 30's to be had 2day and Man it was nice out there.....
BTW, congrats to the angler, that's quite an accomplishment....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02489 (Medium).JPG
Views:	325
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	17122  

Last edited by fishaholic18; 09-09-2006 at 06:59 PM..

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 09-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #19
"uffah!!"

ok

"Non temere mai Roma, il serpente rimane attorcigliato a Napoli!"
"Baci Mio Culo"
Old 09-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
There really is nothing to debate here? Its legal to keep two fish and thats that....The post before was right, if those fish didnt go to the tackle store...Evereyone would call the guy a liar..
It's a debate about conservation...people do it all the time.

-spence
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 PM   #21
Springtides
Think of the fish

Anyone need crew?????????
Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 PM   #22
CAL
I need spring!

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, were these two 60's boat or shore fish? I'm assuming boat. Either way, two 60's in one day is quite a feat
Old 09-09-2006, 09:07 PM   #23
clambelly

two sixties in a lifetime is quite a feat!
two sixties in a day, is nothing short of amazing!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #24
bluzjamer

Send a message via AIM to bluzjamer Send a message via Yahoo to bluzjamer
Never landed anything bigger than a 30. Lost some bigger but not landed. Awesome feat. Did I mention I have a huge grill and cold beer but need drum sticks.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #25
DJ Muller

Obviously any one hear bitching about keeping two 60's has never caught a big fish ever. Especially when it happens you have no idea the size because the sheer shock of size can be overwhelming. SO...until you have been there it is better to be...you know zipped up.

Congrats to...whom ever!!!!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #26
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Muller
Obviously any one hear bitching about keeping two 60's has never caught a big fish ever. Especially when it happens you have no idea the size because the sheer shock of size can be overwhelming. SO...until you have been there it is better to be...you know zipped up.

Congrats to...whom ever!!!!

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

Old 09-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #27
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull
And why would I care about that? Doesn't change the fact that it's still pathetic and it hurts the resource for the rest of us.
How does it hurt the resource?
I didn't think cows that large were breaders anyway, correct me if I'm wrong. The chances of them living after a probably long, hard battle was probably slim to none anyhow.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

Old 09-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #28
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Good for whoever. Nothing wrong with taking 2 legal sized fish. The government has set the daily posession limit for recreational anglers at 2 fish a day. Sounds like he got his 2 fish, good for him.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #29
fishaholic18
Finally

All I know is..I want pics.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

Old 09-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #30
t.orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic18
All I know is..I want pics.
Me too.
Closed Thread