Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
fishing bum wannabe

New compressor

I used a fishmas gift certificate and picked up a $99.95 Sears compressor. What a difference having the additional pressure makes. My old Badger compressor with 28 lbs pressure was OK with the Anthem when using createx paints, but the Sears set for 45 lb pressure will spray virtually any acrylic right out of the bottle. With a little thinning the old acrylics are great! I have been using the FolkArt pearlescents for years and love the colors. Their pearl white is the best for fogging over other colors, better than the Createx. I have some stuff just envirotexed and in the drying rack. I will post pictures as soon as I have them wired. That Badger compressor is going up on the shelf to collect dust.

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #2
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

I bought the same compressor. What a great little tool. It'll also air up your sand-sled.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

How loud is it?.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

How loud is it?.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
Backbeach Jake

I think a little less loud than a lawnmower. But it's not continous. I use mine in the basement and find it acceptable.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

"LOUD" is the problem I have with my compressor!! I will look into the Craftsman line. Thanks, good tip!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
fishing bum wannabe

The new compressor is LOUD! Loud enough to startle me when it kicks in. I need to locate it further away in the basement and run an air hose. However, with it and 45lbs pressure I have been able to spray Binz primer! With the help of a hairdryer to setup the paint between coats I was able to prime and paint 7 Surf Howdies in three paint schemes in a little more than an hour and half. One scheme, 2 coats white Binz primer, 2 white base coats, pink pearlescent sides, white pearlescent overall mist, blue metalic sides and back, dark blue metalic back, black shadow around eyes and a red chin, (10 separate coats) would not have been possible with rattle cans. That would have been a 2 or 3 night project, plus none of the subtle shading of the metalic pink or pearlescent mist. The other schemes were simpler but still had a minimum of seven coats, although the first four were shared by all the plugs. All had a touch up coat (or 3) as I learn how to use the air brush. I will post pics tonight.

I hope I have acheived my goal of an odor free finishing process. The rattle cans gave off fumes which made me less than popular with the rest of the family. The water based solution gives off none that get upstairs. The Envirotex is also relatively odor free. Only time will tell on the durability of this combination. Although I made some 30+ pencil poppers 2 years ago with the Binz primer, brushing rather than spraying, and there haven't been any problems with that batch of poppers (other than most of them were HOed and I need to make more). The only reason I stopped using the Binz was the brush marks from the application. It took a lot of drying time before I could sand out the brush marks and recoat.

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote