Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Stupid Beer Selling Gimmicks!!!

The last few years you see beer companies coming up with these stupid gimmicks associated with the packaging of the beer aka bottles/cans! For example.....born on dating??? Who gives a crap!! Another one.....labels that turn blue when the beer is "cold enough" to drink?? If you really need a friggin' label that turns blue to tell you the beer is "cold enough" to drink....you need to be bitch slapped into a coma!!! Here is the latest one......Coors cans have a "vent" on top of the can? A vent??? Come on kiddies.....is there anyone out there who drinks a can of beer with their mouth over the entire hole on the can that you need a vent so the air can escape from the can thus making the beer flow more easily?!?!?!? When are the beer companies going to realize that beer in and of itself is the best selling point......and stop wasting their time with these stupid little "gimmicks"!!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Oh! One More Complaint!

What self respecting beer drinker would ever buy beer in plastic bottles???? Anyone out there buy and drink your beer from plastic bottles??? Plastic does not retain cold and the flavor of the beer is ruined!!! I would not buy or drink a beer from plastic if it were the last beer ever made and it was the hottest summer day in a million years!!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
saltfly

any "flavored" beer
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
fishbones

I'm with you Larry. I thought the plastic bottles were made for stadiums so if they were thrown, the risk of injuring someone was reduced. What's wrong with pouring a glass bottle or can into a plastic cup? Or just having draft beer? As for the "vented" cans, I haven't even seen them. I'd drink a wine cooler before I'd drink a Coors Light. Also, all these new micro brews are gettign out of hand. I like Sam Adams, Magic Hat, Sierra Nevada and a lot of the other ones, but now there are too many to choose from. And they are outrageously priced. I had to pick up a bottle of wine for someone the other day and grabbed a 6 pack of "Sweaty Betty" blonde ale on the recommendation of the store owner. It cost 12 freakin bucks! I felt like a fool paying that much for a 6 pack. Next time I'm grabbing the 12 pack of Narragansett Ale for $10 and going home with my dignity intact.

On a side note, I was actually considering getting one of those mini kegerators for my bar. But it seems that the only kegs that can be used are Heineken and Heineken light. Anyone know if this is the case?
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Coors Beer, less gas in tummy, more room for alcohol.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I didn't think it was possible Larry....but your complaining about BEER....I can't, in good concience, join in on this. Goes against my very fiber.

as Ben Franklin once said....

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Kevin...re-read the thread....its not about the beer....its about the packaging gimmicks! Beer good-bull%$%$%$%$ bad!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
chris L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
What self respecting beer drinker would ever buy beer in plastic bottles???? Anyone out there buy and drink your beer from plastic bottles??? Plastic does not retain cold and the flavor of the beer is ruined!!! I would not buy or drink a beer from plastic if it were the last beer ever made and it was the hottest summer day in a million years!!!!

glass bottles are the only way to go . when you remove the tab on a beer can that will ease flow but a vent is a selling point . fish have vents does that make them swim better . I have a vent that makes me fart better . LOL
Its all stupid crap . what the hell is cold enough ? for who ? beer is beer . except when wine or whiskey is added to beer .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
FishermanTim

I always thought, much with fine wines and spirits, that the older they are, the better they will taste. SO with this "born on dating" gimmick, you're telling me that 1.) beer does not get better with age, or 2.) ONLY BUDWEISER turns to crap if not drunk within a specific time frame? Does this prove (to me, that is) that Bud is pure crap? Maybe so. I'd rather drink toilet water than ANY Bud beer.
I prefer Rolling Rock, Coors, Sam Adams IPA, Smithwicks, or Guiness.
All the sales gimmicks are geared towards one goal: get people to drink more beer as quickly as possible. Why don't they work on improving the quality of the ACTUAL BEER?
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
spence

Most beer doesn't get better with age, although there are some exceptions with the bigger higher alcohol beers. Bottled beer will react slowly with light and CO2 can leak out over time. So while the beer might not "expire" on a certain date, after a period of time, perhaps 6-12 months the quality will likely diminish.

With wine it's a bit different. Many wines are stored by the producer and sold around the time they're best for drinking. Some special (and often bigger and expensive) wines will get better as they get older, but only to a point. Each wine will have it's own zone where the drinking will be ideal. Opening up a very old bottle can be quite an experiment unless it's a known vintage. The chance for spoilage also goes up over time.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 07-02-2008 at 12:12 PM..
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You can take a can of Bud and bury it in the back yard, then dig it up in 10 years and drink it and it will be fine with all the preservatives in it. The Born on date just plays on peoples paranoia and makes them throw away perfectly good beer and go buy more because they think because its 6 months old its "Bad"

Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Next time I'm grabbing the 12 pack of Narragansett Ale for $10 and going home with my dignity intact.
Gansett??

You may leave the store with your dignity intact (assuming you carry it out in a brown paper bag so no one sees it) but you won't get through the next morning with your bowels intact

"Our own New England Whale Piss"--and it isn't even brewed in New England any more.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
Clogston29
xxx

who needs a vent, I just use a funnel

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I always thought that was why we poked a hole in the bottom of the can???

Old 07-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
Clogston29
xxx

old school

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #16
hulkyj61
The one that got away

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I'm with you Larry. I thought the plastic bottles were made for stadiums so if they were thrown, the risk of injuring someone was reduced. What's wrong with pouring a glass bottle or can into a plastic cup? Or just having draft beer? As for the "vented" cans, I haven't even seen them. I'd drink a wine cooler before I'd drink a Coors Light. Also, all these new micro brews are gettign out of hand. I like Sam Adams, Magic Hat, Sierra Nevada and a lot of the other ones, but now there are too many to choose from. And they are outrageously priced. I had to pick up a bottle of wine for someone the other day and grabbed a 6 pack of "Sweaty Betty" blonde ale on the recommendation of the store owner. It cost 12 freakin bucks! I felt like a fool paying that much for a 6 pack. Next time I'm grabbing the 12 pack of Narragansett Ale for $10 and going home with my dignity intact.

On a side note, I was actually considering getting one of those mini kegerators for my bar. But it seems that the only kegs that can be used are Heineken and Heineken light. Anyone know if this is the case?

Many of those microbrews are not microbrews at all. It's a new way of branding the beer. Large companies are realizing that good beer is where all the money is, so theyre making new brands look like microbrews. For example Killians is a coors product. And this one company Ben E Keith Beverages, specializes in making "microbrews" such as blue moon look like microbrews when in fact they are mass produced.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...x#pageTopAchor

So next time you think youre drinking a "Microbrew" you may want to check again.

As for the minikegs, yet another gimmick. Buy a real kegorator, or make one out of an old fridge, you'll be thankfull that hineken isnt the only thing you can drink ou of it

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
hulkyj61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Gansett??

You may leave the store with your dignity intact (assuming you carry it out in a brown paper bag so no one sees it) but you won't get through the next morning with your bowels intact

"Our own New England Whale Piss"--and it isn't even brewed in New England any more.
I should have been more clear. I like the bock, not the ale. The Gansett Bock is a very good beer and I haven't been sick from it yet. And I think it is made in RI, not NY like the ales. But what do I know about beer? I still keep PBR's in my fridge in the workshop.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
thank sam adams for the beer dating thing... they played it to the masses and all followed... and they are the worst at picking up and giving credit for out of code... guess who is the best... A-B
Sam's needs to though, no preservatives and it will go bad after a few months.

you do have to thank Sam Adams though, they were instrumental in putting flavor back in beer.

gone are the days where every can of beer pretty much tasted the same..some skunkier than others...but the same. there is now some variety out there.

I can guarantee my Dad's generation didn't know what a Weisse beer or an IPA were. Or a Porter or a Stout.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #19
fishbones

[QUOTE=hulkyj61As for the minikegs, yet another gimmick. Buy a real kegorator, or make one out of an old fridge, you'll be thankfull that hineken isnt the only thing you can drink ou of it[/QUOTE]

I don't have the room for a full size one, and I don't drink enough for the big kegs to be worthwhile. I have a fridge in my basement workshop which is usually stocked with a nice assortment, but the mini keg on the bar seemed like a nice idea for the card games, etc...
I'll just have to make due with the fridge.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #20
Backbeach Jake

The first Coors can I ever saw had a vent in the top. Early 80s. My brother Jim and one of his Navy buds brought 2 cases from Colorado while on leave.
I don't think anyone will sober up for lack of gimmicks...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #21
FishermanTim

Remember the Budweiser ad a few years back that had a guy in a minimart discover that he doesn't have enough money for a six pack or toilet paper? That was a big hit with the "crap-my-pants" crowd.
On average, the beer companies waste millions each year on insulting ads that are not funny and give positive proof that using their product will make you an idiot. Think about car ads where the find print ALWAYS says something like:"filmed on a closed course by professional drivers, do not attempt."
The art of intelligently and comically attracting customers has gone bye-bye. Now they want to "dunb us down" to their level. Well, not this guy, no how, no way! Like the saying goes: "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and smells like a duck....it's a duck!"
Most ads get my BS alarm chiming like a church bell on Sunday!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #22
Cranium

Piels and Blacklabel tall boys for me. Need to save money for smokes.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #23
Saltheart

Most beer is best about 1 month old. You want freshness in beer , like fresh bread.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Most beer is best about 1 month old. You want freshness in beer , like fresh bread.

True for most of the good beers...but for the american mass produced stuff, I've never see a difference with age. When it comes to real beer I'm more of a Hop head....I favor the IPA's and ESB's, which I prefer a little colder than cellar temp, but a stout on a cold winter night is always a hit

you know what they say about American beer....Its like Making love in a Canoe.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #25
MikeTLive
...and in person!

Send a message via ICQ to MikeTLive Send a message via AIM to MikeTLive Send a message via MSN to MikeTLive Send a message via Yahoo to MikeTLive

What... it's natural!

LOL

There is a fine line that seperates a fisherman from a fool standing in water swinging a stick.

will cook for food
...and plugs
MikeTLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #26
MikeTLive
...and in person!

Send a message via ICQ to MikeTLive Send a message via AIM to MikeTLive Send a message via MSN to MikeTLive Send a message via Yahoo to MikeTLive
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
you know what they say about American beer....Its like Making love in a Canoe.
... F-ing Damn Close to Water!!

There is a fine line that seperates a fisherman from a fool standing in water swinging a stick.

will cook for food
...and plugs
MikeTLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #27
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I would not buy or drink a beer from plastic if it were the last beer ever made and it was the hottest summer day in a million years!!!!

Larry have you been to a Pat's game in the last few years

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #28
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTLive View Post

What... it's natural!

LOL
I bet she fishes and baits her own hook too!!
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote