Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 11-30-2006, 01:37 AM   #1
toddonbi

First year with a Yak Section

Who's Yakking on SB? I know, I don't get to pop in here as much as before...spending many a night on the Yak just outside of the cast-zone...and just inside of the boat zone. Anywhoo....put some stories in here when you have time.

Last edited by toddonbi; 02-06-2007 at 10:28 AM..

toddonbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Hobie Wan

Todd:

How are ya bud? Long time. (By the way, it's me Rol - Dave's friend).

How are things going man?

HW
Hobie Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Hobie Wan

Todd, by the way, when is your tourney this year?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
toddonbi

Rol-
How are ya' brother! Good to hear from you. I guess we're the only two who Yak on this board eh-lol. I just sent Dave an e-mail the other day trying to find out what dates would work for you guys....hopefully we won't have huge seas this year Hope the holidays were good for you, I quit smoking on Turkey day so it was hit or miss throughout the holidays for me-lol....only went bonkers a few times.
Let me know ballpark dates that would work for you and Dave when you get a chance and I'll talk to you soon.

Todd

Old 01-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
Kevin M

I know there's more than 3 guys yakkin on this site.

Kevin
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Kevin,
I got a T140 this past year through DonM, and got into a number of areas I couldn't access from shore. Loved it. Nice site you guys put together. I see you just got it up and running in December '06?

Additions to the gear list for this year include a gel seat, a rudder, and boga grip...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
Hobie Wan

Todd:

Besides the smoking part, sounds like you are doing well. Great to hear from you. With regards to this fall...

My wife is pregnant and we are expecting at the end of June. I'm still working on her to get the okay. I don't want to push it considering we'll have an infant screaming his/her head off. But there is a possibility she may get her sister to stay with her. If that's the case, I'm in. Just need to make sure it's cool with her. I'll keep you posted. If I have any say, my buddy Kevin (who posted in this thread) will be joining us too.

By the way, stop in and say hello at our new site. It'll be a good way for you and I to keep in touch.

Nightfighter...Kev and I do a lot of fishing in those parts. Keep in touch.

HW
Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Kevin M

Todd: I look forward to meeting and fishing with you, I've heard nothing but good things.

Nightfighter: Thanks for the nice words. Yes, the site is brand new and will only get better as we add more and more information. Please stay in touch so we can get together this season.

Kevin
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
toddonbi

Rol-I hear ya.' We could always pen the ladies up and go fishing That would go over sooo well-lol.

Kevin M- come on out whenever you can and we'll hit the water for some fish just give me a ring.

I'm just waiting a a few more calls and then I should have the dates posted for the tourney...I'd say Monday at the latest.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
Thermoklein

Hi fellas -

I'm a noob in a few ways. New to this site, and new to 'yakkin. I bought the Hobie SUV last November and had to hang it up in the garage for the year the same day, but I plan to be out on teh saltwater by June.

But I'm not a noob when it comes to stripers. I grew up surf and rock-casting Narreagansett, Jamestown, Point Judith and the breachways though I haven't fished RI much since about 1980. I'm back, though, and ready to learn everything I can about kayak fishing.

Can anyone point me to a good single source that will tell me:
* How to set up a new 'yak with lights, depthfinder, etc.
* What tackle works best
* How to handle a fish from a 'yak

...and so forth. I really need to get with some experienced dudes and spend a couple of hours shooting the ship, so to speak.
Thermoklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
toddonbi

www.newenglandkayakfishing.com
yakdawgs.com
ultimatekayakfishing.com

are all great sites with a ton of info. You'll be able to find any info you need or someone who can help you out.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

Bought a yak this fall...........almost done outfitting it..........pics coming
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
swanny

Thermo, come by the SWE show and ask some questions at the yak fishing seminars.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
Spanish Fly

See ya all there boys!!!!!!

SPANISH FLY
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #15
5 String Bass

I'm hoping to get a yak before spring... Winter dreaming and stuff.... With a new baby and bills out the A@$, we'll see. It seems like a great way to expand the fishing I already do.
5 String Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #16
toddonbi

Congrats on the new baby. Mine will be 2 this June and she definately keeps me busy. One of the great pleasures about Kayaking is that it is quiet You can save some dough if you buy last years model from most places, closeouts, etc. One thing for certain is make sure you look the Yak over for defects and such.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #17
MISTABASS

just wanted to say hi to everybody new to yaking just set up for fishing do alot at narrow river
MISTABASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:12 PM   #18
toddonbi

Welcome to the craziness, if you have any questions fire away and someone will probably be able to help. What kind of ride do you have?

Old 03-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #19
MISTABASS

OCEAN CAPER 11'
Old 03-31-2007, 05:26 PM   #20
MISTABASS

LOOKING FOR SOME NEW SPOTS TO GO FISH TIRED OF ALL THE SPOTS TAKING STILL DO A LOT OF SURF CASTING TRYING SOMETHING NEW ALREADY ROLLED AND LOST GEAR I DO OWN TIE DOWNS NOW LOL TX
Old 04-08-2007, 06:50 AM   #21
GBOUTDOORS

Send a message via AIM to GBOUTDOORS
Hey Ross I just bought 2 tarpon 140 anglers this weekend at the show. One for me and one for Greg Jr to use both fresh and salt. I hope to drag it over to Cutty to use in shore with eels in close you up for a trip with yours to the promised land We could take them over for the two Cutty trips if you want? I can take them or send them over on the Alert for a few bucks.

21' striper D/C Yamaha 150 HPDI named PLAIN JANE
GBOUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #22
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Sounds good, Greg. Almost brought it last year. Now I gotta see how I can get the T140 in the Grady, as we will be bringing that down. At least that's the plan as of now.
After last year, I am using Cuttyhunk Ferry Co. when in need of ferry service. For your freight need, you should at least talk with Jono.
I was toying with bringing it over last year... but this year, I really haven't given it a thought. All boat on the brain.
You will really like the T140! Which show?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:15 AM   #23
GBOUTDOORS

R. I. saltwater fishing show I bought them for $912.00 each all set up . I see you got a Grady to go over with let me know if you want to go over before the June trip I could use some help to clear the land and some pre trip scouting

Old 04-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #24
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Give me a couple dates to work on. Only tough date is May 19, niece's doctoral graduation. You thinking week days or weekend?

Old 04-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #25
GBOUTDOORS

Ross thanks for the info on the Cuttyhunk Ferry Co. I will give them a call and see if they can take some of the larger lumber for the cottage. I have a hunting friend that use to take the trash barge back and forth and hope to have him take some of the stock over. If not then I will use the ferry co.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #26
toddonbi

Man talk about being busy in one way or another, so be safe and paddle accordingly I guess