Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 11-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
Rmarsh

Workplace ethics...unwritten rules.

So i'm installing some cabinets in a new house in a busy subdivision the other morning when in walks a twenty something guy I've never seen before wearing a tool belt. Starts asking me questions in a language I don't speak. I told him I speak English only. That seemed to frustrate him and he continued babbling. I told him I was very busy and had a lot of work to do. As I turned away to continue working, he started going into a tool bag of mine looking for something, apparently he wanted to borrow something, and thought that since I didn't speak his language that he would help himself. He was startled when I said "Hey.... get your f'ng hands off my tools. He left but I don't think he learned the error of his ways. Not the first time this kind of thing has happened with these jackasses and I'm getting tired of it. First of all, I don't lend tools to strangers, second if you don't speak English, I will make no effort to understand you or assist you in any way.

Rant Over.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Way to go! How do you know he was even supposed to be on that job?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
Nebe

Try this next time

Hola amigo. ¿cómo estás? consigue tus propias herramientas de mierda o te follaré a tu hermana mientras tu madre está mirando
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Google translator is a beautiful thing
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Try this next time

Hola amigo. ¿cómo estás? consigue tus propias herramientas de mierda o te follaré a tu hermana mientras tu madre está mirando
Nebe .... I am now part of a minority.....old white guy in construction.
As far as "amigo" ....I would never pretend to be a friend to someone i didnt know.
And if you dont know me and call me amigo or friend I know your trying to bull#^&#^&#^&#^& me.
These guys would cut my throat if they had the chance.
In construction for over forty years ....I could write a book on the #^&#^&#^&#^& I've seen. I have no intention of learning a "foreign" language, never.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Nebe .... I am now part of a minority.....old white guy in construction.
As far as "amigo" ....I would never pretend to be a friend to someone i didnt know.
And if you dont know me and call me amigo or friend I know your trying to bull#^&#^&#^&#^& me.
These guys would cut my throat if they had the chance.
In construction for over forty years ....I could write a book on the #^&#^&#^&#^& I've seen. I have no intention of learning a "foreign" language, never.
If you knew what I posted said, everyspanish speaking contractor would be laying protection money down at your feet.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
Rmarsh

A while back another "foreigner' who was working outside came in and stood looking at my brand new six foot stepladder, and mumbled something that sounded like "can I use" ....so I made the mistake of saying ok. Didn't think about it until later when I saw they had left, looked around and no f'ng ladder. Starting to see a pattern here?
Old 11-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
Nebe

Dude that sucks.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Do the mother too, just for good measure.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
Nebe

Old 11-20-2017, 05:20 AM   #11
Rmarsh

So I call the GC and tell him this POS subcontractor he hired walked off with my ladder. "No problem" he will call them and tell them to return it the next day. Next morning I get to the job and there is a step ladder....an old beat up 4' step ladder..... different color....not mine.
What the F is it with these morons....now I'm getting pissed off.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #12
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Do the mother too, just for good measure.....
And the dog.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:25 AM   #13
Rmarsh

I get info where the #^&#^&#^&#^&stains are working, jump in my truck and head over there. I pull up and jump out of the truck....bunch of guys sitting around on break. I say nothing, walk over to a stack of ladders on the garage floor, seeing that mine is on the bottom, I proceed to throw ladders of all shapes and sizes in every direction untill I get down to mine. Then I turn to the group of them and tell them in English, what a bunch of low life good for nothing bitches they are for pulling this crap. Not a word out of any of them.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
I get info where the #^&#^&#^&#^&stains are working, jump in my truck and head over there. I pull up and jump out of the truck....bunch of guys sitting around on break. I say nothing, walk over to a stack of ladders on the garage floor, seeing that mine is on the bottom, I proceed to throw ladders of all shapes and sizes in every direction untill I get down to mine. Then I turn to the group of them and tell them in English, what a bunch of low life good for nothing bitches they are for pulling this crap. Not a word out of any of them.

Good for you

When I read the title to the thread my thoughts went to how maybe jobsite ethics compared to fishing the canal ethics, anything goes.

My fear at jobsites is when some tools are unattended, they grow legs.
At least the guy tried to ask you, good for you learning once cuz that's all it takes to get burned.

If someone asks me politely for help for a moment, that is one thing but borrowing tools is out. I'm not even comfortable lending to people I know unless they have lent to me.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #15
Rockfish9

Quote:
I like your style.... I work in a plant ( machine shop) that I have worked in for 23 years...English is a second language here now and if I don't keep my tools under lock and key.. they vanish...they think nothing of entering my tool box and "helping themselves"... someone "exchanged" a cheap 3/8 drive Kobalt( Lowes brand) torque wrench for my $500 digital snap on 1/2" drive torque wrench... when I complained to management they told me keep my stuff locked up if I don't want it to dissaper... I have to keep my office locked at all times or power saws and drills are free for the taking...I have to keep my contempt in check because I am an employee at will.. if you say the non politically correct thing.. you get a warning notice...when I was a line mechanic no one would ever go into someone else's box...and if they borrowed a tool it came back in better shape than when it was lent out... times have changed ...good for you for taking back what was yours...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #16
FishermanTim

Heck, I won't even lend a tool to my brothers without a guarantee that if it doesn't come back in the same condition I'll kick their arse!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #17
redlite

Sounds like the crew that walked off with my brand new ladder jacks about 2 months ago in tiverton. Shoulda had u check. Got my initials on em. My dad taught me that before I went to Boy Scout camp as a kid and he had me put my initials on everything including my underwear. Has gotten me back a lot of my shat over the years
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #18
Rmarsh

Rockfish9 said ".when I was a line mechanic no one would ever go into someone else's box...and if they borrowed a tool it came back in better shape than when it was lent out... times have changed..."

Thanks ....Exactly the point of my original post......times have changed.... I used to be friendly and non judgemental. Now I have a scowl on my face and trust none of them.
There are a few other cases where these scum bags have ripped me off.....big time.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #19
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Sounds like the crew that walked off with my brand new ladder jacks about 2 months ago in tiverton. Shoulda had u check. Got my initials on em. My dad taught me that before I went to Boy Scout camp as a kid and he had me put my initials on everything including my underwear. Has gotten me back a lot of my shat over the years
It is a good idea Mike...i have an engraver and did a lot of my original tools. Seen a lot of guys put a dab of thier special color paint to identify stuff too. My ladder was obvious, brand new, I had no doubt.... didn't feel I had to prove anything. Waited to see if any of them wanted to dispute it..........Nope.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #20
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
I engrave the last four of digits of my social into larger hand tools wrenches, ladders and power tools... I do the same with electronics on the boat...it's a PITA but it assures quick identity of ownership...

Old 11-22-2017, 05:24 AM   #21
Rmarsh

My job requires that I have a complete set of hand and power tools with me at all times. If I'm going to be working at a job for two weeks or more, instead of hauling them all out of the truck in the morning then pack them all up and back into the truck at night, I lock them up in one of those large steel jobsite boxes. If you pack them correctly they can hold a #^&#^&#^&#^& load. The padlocks are recessed so they cant be cut with a bolt cutter. So a locked tool box in a locked house should be safe right?

I get to work one morning and a coworker meets me outside and says "don't go in there". "What happened"? I say ...."they got your tools" he replied. I go take a look and find that the jobbox door had been cut open, probably with an angle grinder, and peeled and bent back and all my tools ....gone.

My heart sank like a stone....got back in my truck and drove off.
Took a while to sink in......I'm useless without my tools. Some of the hand tools were passed down to me from my grandfather.
As to the thieves...police were called...reports filled out....that's it.
I have my suspicions but no proof....
Took me a whole day to sit down and do a list of what was taken.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #22
Rockfish9

Quote:
My job requires that I have a complete set of hand and power tools with me at all times. If I'm going to be working at a job for two weeks or more, instead of hauling them all out of the truck in the morning then pack them all up and back into the truck at night, I lock them up in one of those large steel jobsite boxes. If you pack them correctly they can hold a #^&#^&#^&#^& load. The padlocks are recessed so they cant be cut with a bolt cutter. So a locked tool box in a locked house should be safe right?

I get to work one morning and a coworker meets me outside and says "don't go in there". "What happened"? I say ...."they got your tools" he replied. I go take a look and find that the jobbox door had been cut open, probably with an angle grinder, and peeled and bent back and all my tools ....gone.

Took a while to sink in......I'm useless without my tools. Some of the hand tools were passed down to me from my grandfather.
I know the feeling all too well... an incident just as you described put me out of business as a marine mobile mechanic... forced a young father ( me) with 4 kids to have to go work for someone else while I waited for the insurance company to drag their feet...that was many years ago...I decided it was "safer" to work for some one else and never pursued working for myself again.. every tool I use belongs to me..I couldn't even venture a guess at the value of everything I've collected over the last 40 years... it's just easier( a little safer) to be at the same job site every day.. 23 years in my case... thieves suck!

Old 11-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #23
spence

I would think RFID technology is now cheap enough to start safeguarding at least the more pricey stuff?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #24
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Sucks to be needed - but yes some tracking tools may be necessay

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #25
spence

Quote:
This really ticks me off by the way. There aren't many left that take the pride in their craft like you do.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #26
Dick Durand

Quote:

Theft is always a heartbreaker, and so much more when your means of making a living are usurped.
Dick Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #27
basswipe

I know the feeling(s) all to well Rmarsh,been in the game a long time myself.

I have no problem working on the same site as someone who does not speak English,just don't "try" to talk to me and stay away from my #^&#^&#^&#^&.

Many years back a couple of idiots moved my Titan sprayer while I was off the job for a few days.They unscrewed the hose from the machine and left it that way and left the gun laying on the floor...gun seized.They also removed the #^&#^&#^&#^& from the paint it was in and of course the paint slowly made its way out onto the floor...piston seized.

I also will no longer work alongside anyone that does heroin or smokes crack...they don't just steal,they can also get you killed.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:02 AM   #28
Rmarsh

Yes...Besides the thousands of dollars of tools stolen....I lost income as well. It was a huge task to remember and list everything that was taken, then go purchase all new tools. I liked my old set of tools much better by the way, better made and broken in, worn smooth by my hand.
It's too bad that our justice system treats stealing like a petty crime. The rewards of stealing are great...the punishment.. not so much. Besides that law enforcement can't bother to investigate.
No wonder it is so rampant. I'm not one to take justice into my own hands.......not yet......almost there.

Years back, most of our houses were plumbed with copper pipe.
Went down to the basement one morning and noticed something amiss. Yep.....all installed copper pipe was gone, again... went outside and saw that they got the installed ac condenser unit too. Another "Unsolved Mystery"
Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #29
FishermanTim

I'd say that's grounds for your own form of justice, since the system couldn't be concerned.

Maybe a broken limb that would take them out of business!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 AM   #30
Rmarsh

Tim....I have to realize that the thieves are everywhere....nothing I can do to stop it. Like zombies...eliminate one and there are a thousand more. Besides...the truth is I am a non-violent person and would never hurt anyone physically ...except in self defense.
Unfortunately it has become a cost of doing business which gets passed on to the customer. I wonder if the average person understands that my wages have to cover the cost of the amount of money I spend on tools.