Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 05-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Robben Ford

He's been brought up several times but I don't see he has his own post so here goes

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Might just be my all time favorite You tube with my favorite 2 guitarists

Got goosebumps just enjoying this

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 05-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

One more from that gig in Japan.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

one more. His brother on Harp and the first solo by his rhythm player he finishes up

Old 05-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

sorry, one more

Old 05-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
tautog

I couldn't agree more a true monster on the guitar. Here he is with a blues/soul lady Ruthie Foster.
tautog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
rphud
GrandBob

Too funny, most days I think I am the only one in the world that listens to Robben Ford and the Blue Line. I will have to look and see if I can find Chevrolet online somewhere.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
rphud
GrandBob

No video of Robben so here is a link to a short preview to get you hooked. http://www.we7.com/track/Chevrolet?trackId=1491509&m=0

There is a cover band doing Chevrolet on youtube that is OK, but definitely not Robben.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Ever heard Robben with Susan Tedeschi doing "One mans ceiling is another mans floor". A real great tune.
Buy it here you won't be disappointed
http://www.amazon.com/Truth-Robben-Ford/dp/B000RPSVQ8

I also highly recommend Robben and his brothers doing A Tribute to Paul Butterfield. One more heartache is a classic, really no bad tunes on the album. I got it if anyone needs it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tribute-Paul-B.../dp/B00005LZP4

Just so much of this guy out there and so many haven't a clue

He is a very similar player to my other favorite guy Larry Carlton, although he prefers the blues side a little more where Larry gravitates to the Jazzier side of things. But both can and have done the others strengths with no problem at all. I have even been tricked by them once in a while thinking it was the other. Both these guys are what epitomizes music for me.

Last edited by ProfessorM; 05-17-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Great tune. It is on the Authorized Bootleg, Live album. It is a very good live album.

BTW I sent out the cd on Friday.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
tautog

He has played with alot more people than most ever realize. One of the unusual was 2000 he toured with Phil Lesh and Friends
Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

comin soon. hope he does this one

Old 11-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

great tune here. Sonny pretty darn fantastic in his own right on the slide and vocals and Robben adding a little.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

just stumbled onto this little beauty. Wow. Got to look around for more of this album. Going to i tunes tonite.

Last edited by ProfessorM; 11-19-2010 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

last one . got to luv the horn section on this one. So looking forward to the 23rd

Old 11-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

plus we get to hear Haslip on bass like here with robben on guitar. Always a real tight band. Got my first Yellowjackets album in 81 and have been a fan since.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #17
tautog

Prof I hope you mean the 24th at narrows. Should be a great lineup.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPI I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same
Old 11-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #18
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thanks that is what I meant. Well at least I would have been a day early and not late.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #19
tautog

Just a warm up for next Wed night with "Renegade Creation". These were from June 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPI I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same
Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
JakeF

I'm going to try to make this show as well. Big Robben Ford fan!

"For our discussion of surfcasting is no trifling matter, but is the way to conduct our lives….nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house." - Plato (c.428-c.348 BCE)
JakeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
just stumbled onto this little beauty. Wow. Got to look around for more of this album. Going to i tunes tonite.

not having any luck finding this album, yet

Old 11-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
tautog

Minor Elegance it's available but not cheap

Amazon.com: Minor Elegance: Joe Diorio, Robben Ford: Music

Old 11-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #23
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

yeah that is pretty pricey. Thanks, never thought to look there.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #24
mosholu
Mosholu

Robben Ford is going to play a series of shows with John Scofield at the Blue Note in New York City at the Beginning of December. They are going to be playing Chicago blues.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

you are so lucky to live close to those venues. I saw Schofield probably 20 years ago at some North shore of Long Island place, can't remember the town. My wife lived on long Island for 3 years before we were married and i would go down twice a month and took in that show. She was not thrilled with show , i liked it . It was Jazz. That should be a great show. I never really knew Schofield was into blues but with his talent I am sure it would be no problem for him.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #26
tautog

Just got back from the show at the Narrows, great show,the band Renegade Creation is super. Robben Ford was great as were the other members of this tight group, well worth it.
Happy Turkey day

Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #27
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

yes a fabulous show. First song was a little muddy but the sound guy straighten that out fast and a great quality sound for rest of nite. Haslip on bass was awesome. Robben was really good but did you find yourself coming away being really impressed more with Micheal Landau than Robben? Not that Robben wasn't good and I was not dissapointed one bit I just kind of thought Landau shinned a little brighter. Really talented player. Drummer was kick ass too. Thought I may have spotted you as your son looks like you, No? and i have met him before. Daughter was exhausted so i had to go fast or I would have said hello. Great venue too I'll be back for sure and so close to home and easy in and out and bring your own cooler of beverages and food. Great time.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #28
tautog

I also was very impressed with Landau. I was right in front of Ford and found myself watching Haslip/Landau as much if not more.
Haslip is a unique character who rips it up. Very unique style,never saw him look at the neck while playing.
Next show we'll have to meet

Old 11-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #29
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

next show I'd like to Tag along ... I'll drive

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #30
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Eddie if I had known you were interested I would have dragged you there. He doesn't come around very often and next time will probably be in a completely different band i would imagine as all those guys have so many things they are involved in music wise and that is what happens when you are a really good musician. We should keep our eye's peeled for future shows as it is a really unique small venue which I am sure you would really like. The guy said there have been 700 shows done there over the last 9 years i think he said, which I was really stunned by. Why have I not been there before? I have missed the bus on this one and so close by. Oh well I will be back for sure. Johnny Winter is there in the next month or so. Next stop Zappa