Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 10-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
pbadad

Pencil Popper ?

Which floating attitude is preferred, easier to work and seem to catch better. Floating with head of plug sticking out of water vertical or floating with the mid-back submerged at a slight angle. I notice Gibbs lay slightly down in rear while others bob straight up. I seem to have an easier time working the Gibbs style. Your thoughts!

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I've only built a few, which I haven't liked, but I have hundreds (if not thousands) of hours fishing Gibbs pencils and I've noticed several things that are different from mine. I find it easy to make a lure that splashes alot and whose nose swings side to side while the tail waddles along.....which is great for bluefish........but for bass you want something that looks good slower. I've noticed that the Gibbs tend to not only splash (actually throw water to one side), but they also tend to glide a bit to each side (the tail doesn't drag excessively). This lets you work it very slow to very fast, and the change in cadence is often helpful in triggering fish to hit. I think the length of the body and the location of drag from the belly hook is as important as how you weight them. My theory is that the angle they float determines how much water they throw, the length and drag determine how well they will glide. Makes me tired thinking about it. Time to go throw a few instead.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
AT Grimaldi

While I dont' know the answer to this question, am curious myself, but do know that ThrowingTimber has that unique ability I am working upon getting - to reel VERY slowly and yet impart a rapid popping action to the plug. It is VERY cool to watch and frustrating to practice.

I think it is like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time at different speeds.

What do I know? nottin!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT Grimaldi

RISAA Member

Ron Arra Lami 1083 biggot!
Penn 4500 SS w/ 14# chart. FireLine

Ron Arra Lami 1083 custom
Abu Garcia C3 6500 Rocket

Hopelessly addicted custom wood addict. Working 2nd Step.
AT Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Jigman

I like them to sit verticle in the water. 1-2 inches of the nose sticking out, depending on the size of the pencil. Wood type makes a difference. Try a few different woods and see which you prefer.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman View Post
I like them to sit verticle in the water. 1-2 inches of the nose sticking out, depending on the size of the pencil. Wood type makes a difference. Try a few different woods and see which you prefer.

Jigman
Thats the way I been making them ..not quite vertical but close enough with about 1.5" - 2 " sticking out of the water .. I call that Hawg Hunter style ... Not that good of a on the top walker... More of a neck splashing bouncer.. catches fish pretty good .. I want to experiment making some even heavier for the canal .. slow sinkers .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
onecastmike2003

longer pencils will slide side to side and the bass love a spook pencil....
They must lay like a gibs and work them slowly.
mike
onecastmike2003 is offline   Reply With Quote