Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
good2hook

primer problem

ok well i've got my first bodies all sealed up and ready to go. i used a kilz primer from a quart. brushed it on with foam brushes.....didn't like the way it came out way too thick in my opinion. they definitely did not look like the ones Mike shot up in his shop. so i sanded it and started over.... then i used a rattle can of Kilz primer, that was very thick as well, i tried to smooth it out with a foam brush, yuk...so i sanded and started over. a few questions

does sanding effect the integrity of the sealer?
and does the plug need to be primed 100%?
and should i quit,
if i can't get the primer right i can imagine when it comes time to actually painting

anybody painting in the near future that wouldn't mind someone standing beside them, jotting down some pointers? i'll help with the clean-up
good2hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Spray them and then let dry. Lightly sand them and clean the dust off them and paint. Its not rocket science its a plug. Its ok if your first couple are not perfect. Trial and error is one the of things is what
makes you grow as a builder.
You may find out this primer is not for you.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Rockfish9

I believe, Kiltz is oil based... and yes it is thick...

Personaly, I use Zinzer, shelac based, ,it is thin and if your not carefull it will run....

Any good primer will do, it's all about your sealing/priming/painting system and what works best for you...

a light sanding may be desireable with some primers, what your trying to a chieve is a bond between the sealer/primer and paint.... try differeant things and go with what works best for you.

your finish will only be as strong as the weakest link.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

try Krylon white primer in a spray can. It seems to work well.

yes, cover the whole plug with primer before paint
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Raven

Arrow think about it

kilz is to kill the knots showing thru the paint on number 2 pine boards or to cover other wall stains or old colors...

not to seal clean wood... so it has to be thick to do that....

your using a sealer is to give a bonding agent to the plug and to prevent the plug as raw wood from s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g up to much of your colored paint your trying to put on the plug.... as well as sealing it from saltwater damage...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
kilz is to kill the knots showing thru the paint on number 2 pine boards or to cover other wall stains or old colors...

not to seal clean wood... so it has to be thick to do that....

your using a sealer is to give a bonding agent to the plug and to prevent the plug as raw wood from s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g up to much of your colored paint your trying to put on the plug.... as well as sealing it from saltwater damage...
Raven,

He's not sealing it with kilz. The lures already been sealed. His issue is specifically with the primer. He isnt trying to use primer to seal the wood.

Good2hook,

If you're using the quart stuff to prime you may be better off dipping your lure in it for an even finish. I know some this method and I'm pretty sure they thin down the primer with some solvent it escapes me at this time maybe just turpentine. Basically I think they use the quart stuff thin it down, and just dip the lures in it for a quick prime. Hope that helps.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'll second the Painters Touch Primer..I use the White and don't have any problems. Spray it on, Quick sand when it dries and then spray one more time....get nice and smooth.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
Raven

did i miss something TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2hook View Post
. i used a kilz primer from a quart. brushed it on with foam brushes.....didn't like the way it came out way too thick in my opinion. t

i thought he was saying he was priming it with kilz?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Kilz is a nothing product, take it from a guy who sold paint for 7 years. It's crap. It was made to fill a niche, something cheap because people (especially low-grade contractors) don't like to spend money on their undercoats. What happened, well everyone used it and now people will say they are going to "kilz" their house instead of "prime" their house. Kilz became synonymous with primer. Kilz is an interior only product and therefore doesn't really belong on your plugs. That said, I know a few who use it with decent success. I will agree that the Krylon spray can in your best bet for ease of use and durability. But to say primer doesn;t matter is untrue. Primer is super important, if your primer doesn;t stick or if your paint is not compatible with your primer, you might as well not even paint, because the once that link is messed up your whole paint job is doomed--it's only as strong as it's weakest link.

-Dave

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
good2hook

dave what primer do you recommend then?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

I use rattle can primer.
I am starting to use all Krylon
I used to use whatever was cheap but the primer did'nt cover well and neither did the finish.
Don't use krylon over other stuff or you might have issues.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

I use Rust-Oleum Painters Touch spray.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
cutchogue

Smile

I use Krylon. Primer and paint spray cans.
Al,

"What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"
cutchogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

CPES .. says no need for primer .. on light colors,, white and yellow I do notice pencil lines showing thru rattle can paint ...

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #15
Canalman

That painters touch stuff is a good bet and it's easy. CPES is a great product but I think it may cause cancer or something if overused. Stinky as hell... worse than wood hardener.

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 02-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #16
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

PNG uses it and he is stinky as hell too

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #17
PNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
PNG uses it and he is stinky as hell too
I am sad to announce that I have been de-throned so to speak

I dont think cpes is as bad as m-woodhardner but they are both bad. I have recently tried a diff. urethane I found from a home made telescope site of all places, I put the link up in another thread about sealer comparisons. so far so good. I like it alot more than valoil which I never really liked at all, but hey Im not brand loyal I dont like my "Jet" lathe either

GO

Plugs Rule
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #18
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post
CPES is a great product but I think it may cause cancer or something if overused. Stinky as hell... worse than wood hardener.
Dave ... that spray booth I had at plugfest a couple of years ago is the best money I ever spent ... I don't stink any more ,, it all goes outside ,,with my heat .. rattle cans too .

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 02-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #19
good2hook

i re-sanded and started over. i used the primer Mike recommended and they came out 100 times better. i'll be painting them soon. i need to get an adapter from my iwata air-hose to the compressor. any suggestions?

eddie, i was looking into spray booths. i saw one on bear-air for decent money. where did you get yours?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #20
Canalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
Dave ... that spray booth I had at plugfest a couple of years ago is the best money I ever spent ... I don't stink any more ,, it all goes outside ,,with my heat .. rattle cans too .
Gotcha, with my heat! too funny!!

You gotta be careful with these penetrating epoxies though, they penetrate your skin too and can f--- up your liver after repeated exposures. I'm sure you're wearing gloves Ed, just a heads up to the other CPES users and potential CPES converts.

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 02-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #21
good2hook

thanks strike king.....

another dumb question, what's CPES?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES) consists of a tough, flexible resin system in a solvent blend which aids in the restoration of rotted or deteriorated wood. The Epoxy Resin system chemically adheres to the wood fibers and significantly strengthens them while allowing for normal expansion and contraction.
CPES is effective because of the special blend of solvents that allow it to migrate into the wood fibers and into the cellulose of the wood. Impregnation of the wood with the Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer changes the cellulose of the wood (which the bacteria and fungi find easily digestible) into epoxy impregnated cellulose which resists the fungi, while reinforcing the wood, and accomplishing restoration.

CPES is a two-part product. Mixes 1:1 equal parts of A and B by volume. Apply with brush, roller or immersion. The Cold Weather version of Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer was developed because sometimes repairs such as restoration of deteriorated wood, repair of osmosis-damaged fiberglass boats, and/or coatings must be done in the winter. CPES Cold Weather Formula was designed to be used in the temperature range of 28-65 F. Also called MultiWoodPrime, this epoxy sealer makes an excellent paint and varnish primer as it chemically bonds the finish to the wood

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #23
Ken_J

Zinsser B-I-N Red Can Primer. Spray can. Use as a primer, this is not substitute for sealing.

This is one of many standard issue products to have in your arsenal of plug building.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10

They sell it at Homeys and Lowes etc.

Last edited by Ken_J; 02-04-2008 at 12:02 PM..
Ken_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #24
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_J View Post
Zinsser B-I-N Red Can Primer. Spray can. Use as a primer, this is not substitute for sealing.

This is one of many standard issue products to have in your arsenal of plug building.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10

They sell it at Homeys and Lowes etc.
This stuff works well except its loves to run. Very very light coat.:raiders:
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #25
firemiked

I just found out the hard way about zinser not taking the place of sealer. Test swam a few metal lip swimmers in hartford on Sat. They used to swim great but with no sealer the primer was already cracking by the time I got home. Hope they are salvageable. But the zinser is very easy to use. I dipped my plugs in it and it really is thin and coats fairly decent.( Just doesn't seal)
firemiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #26
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Could we just use rusto flat white spray paint as a primer?..I saw an earlier post of capesams, I think and he said that he did this, one coat sand, and then 2 more for a really smooth finish.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #27
good2hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES) consists of a tough, flexible resin system in a solvent blend which aids in the restoration of rotted or deteriorated wood. The Epoxy Resin system chemically adheres to the wood fibers and significantly strengthens them while allowing for normal expansion and contraction.
CPES is effective because of the special blend of solvents that allow it to migrate into the wood fibers and into the cellulose of the wood. Impregnation of the wood with the Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer changes the cellulose of the wood (which the bacteria and fungi find easily digestible) into epoxy impregnated cellulose which resists the fungi, while reinforcing the wood, and accomplishing restoration.

CPES is a two-part product. Mixes 1:1 equal parts of A and B by volume. Apply with brush, roller or immersion. The Cold Weather version of Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer was developed because sometimes repairs such as restoration of deteriorated wood, repair of osmosis-damaged fiberglass boats, and/or coatings must be done in the winter. CPES Cold Weather Formula was designed to be used in the temperature range of 28-65 F. Also called MultiWoodPrime, this epoxy sealer makes an excellent paint and varnish primer as it chemically bonds the finish to the wood
dad where can ya get this stuff?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #28
striperondafly
The Black Dog - Emma

Send a message via AIM to striperondafly
I like the Zinsser Gold label the best :raiders:

Ride the spiral to the end...............
striperondafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #29
teaser
Wave Jumper

I use Kilz straight from the spray can only I change the nozzle over from another can like Rustoluem because on the Kilz nozzle the hole is too big and it has a tendency to shoot too much paint causing a thick buildup and sometimes it sags or runs, since I changed nozzles I've never had a problem because I can apply as much as I want now without worrying about overshooting the plug with paint.

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #30
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2hook View Post
dad where can ya get this stuff?
http://www.star-distributing.com/smith/products.html

Its nasty George ... and $$$ ,,, you have to think of that little guy you got running around,, no chance of exposing him to this ..

(dob 4-21-07)