Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Jury Duty

I got called for the 3rd time in my life, I guess someone is making me make up for all the trouble I caused while I was young.
anyways my question is: do you feel it is our duty to serve or a great inconvenience?

I got there today and was quite P.O.ED for being called so much when others I know never get called. I now have to sit on a jury for "they said 8 to 10 days" I am going to be broke Mass pays 50 dollars a day now this will cover gas parking and food. I still think it is better than being drafted and going to war and having to kill in another land so I guess it is the least I can do to serve our country. I still can't figure out why some get called and some don't?

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

I get called every 3 years almost to the week. Each time Multi day trials. I have never gotten a cent. It is getting to be a pain in the ass.
At first i did not mind but after the 4 time when friends have never been called The worst is when i was a witness in a trial. I sat in the hall on a wooden bench for 3 days never testifying and they took a plea.They said I would get $15 for that. 6 years I'm still waiting for the check.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
Clammer

No worries -felony

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
Karl F

I've been three times, cut loose after an hour the first time.
Got called for a driving under trial the second time ... when they found out I sold booze, I got sent packing, although the defense had no problem with me
Third time, criminal trial, stabbing.... we wrapped it up by 3 in the afternoon.

one of my brothers didn't go once.. cost him some dough, got pulled over for something else, cop ran his info, and Whammo.

They spoke of money per diem, but I never got a check... just a reciept for my boss, for their records, although he was like, WTF am I supposed to do with that?.... thankfully, my boss never docked me for any of the days I missed for jury duty.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

TB my dad lives in Maine, they do it way different up there...they each get called for 6 MONTHS. EVERY day they have to call in for the next to find out what to do...talk about putting you life on complete hold for 6 months, and the pay is nothing either. If I ever got called for 6 months might as well give the house and everything else away cuz I wouldn't own it anymore.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
MoroneSaxatilis
googan

I've been called a few times over the years but never sat on a jury. One time I got out of it when the judge asked if any of us could think of any reason why we should be excluded. I raised my hand and explained that the prosocuter in the case has prosicuted ME at one time, the defense counsel had represented me, and Hizzoner had sentenced me! Judge kicked me loose on the spot.

Where do they get the jury duty lists from in Massachusetts? I was under the impression that it was from voter registration lists. Maybe those who are not getting called to serve are not registered to vote?
MoroneSaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I could not afford 6 months either I am going to have a hard time with 10 days thats 2 weeks pay and my bills are going to suffer.
I am not sure how it is done here in mass I do know this though once you are in there data base you get called every three years. I used to think it was because I was a registered voter but I know other voters and they never get called, It is Mass and try to figure any type of government ways of thinking and you will be mad

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #8
"uffah!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecc
I get called every 3 years almost to the week. Each time Multi day trials. I have never gotten a cent. It is getting to be a pain in the ass.
At first i did not mind but after the 4 time when friends have never been called The worst is when i was a witness in a trial. I sat in the hall on a wooden bench for 3 days never testifying and they took a plea.They said I would get $15 for that. 6 years I'm still waiting for the check.
Mike, Thats because your a friend of Kerry!!
"uffah!!" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

In NY you are only subject to getting called every 6 years (used to be 4, they raised it when they eliminated all the exemptions from jury duty). No one is exempt from jury service any longer---even lawyers and judges have to report for service if called, knowing there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting selected.. In my county (Suffolk, eastern LI) they put you on phone alert. They send you a number with your jury summons, and you call starting the Sunday evening before the week you're on alert. They tell you what numbers have to report to the courthouse the next day. That continues every evening until Thursday.

I was called right after they did away with the exemption for lawyers. I had to report on the Tuesday of my week. I was called to one civil case, but never got seated in the box. They selected a jury out of the people seated in the box, I was excused for lunch, came back at 2:15 and was done with jury service by 3--excused and with my certificate of service---good for 4 years at the time.

They mainly rely on voter registration lists and DMV records. If you move to another county, and change your voter registration or DMV address, you can bet on getting a jury questionaire within 3 months. If you served within the last 6 years, all you have to do is return a copy of your certificate of service and they excuse you.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #10
Gloucester2

I've been called twice . . . I consider it a small price to pay to put some scumbag behind bars

But I understand it's a burden for people that are self employed or not paid by their employer
Gloucester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
Redsoxticket

It is your civic duty but you could suddenly come down with a cold by sneezzing and coughing excessively, s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g cough drops, unshaven, tissues, etc. You got the idea. The other jurors just might get sick, wouldn't that be a shame.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #12
Finlander

Angry

I went a long time before getting my first summons for juror duty, now I get them every three years within a couple month window. Last time the drug trial lasted a couple of days and I was the juty foreman, but it gets better. A few weeks ago I summons to GRAND JUROR, this is not for one day or trial, but for three months, Jan-March and my employer will only pay the first three days after the state gives you $50.00 a day. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Tight Lines!!!!
Finlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #13
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Unless you live in an urban area like Springfield, chances are your grand jury is only going to meet once, or at most twice, a week.

I work on Staten Island. Part of NYC. The grand jury there meets 3 times a week for the first week of its term, then twice. In the other boros, its "grand juries", not a single grand jury (Brooklyn is up to 7, I believe) and they all meet every day.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #14
Finlander

It is Springfield, were our politician spend more time in court than the town hall's.

Tight Lines!!!!
Finlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #15
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

JURY DUTY SUCKS

I DIDN'T GET CALLED FOR YEARS BECAUSE OF SOME CIVIL SUITS I WAS ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN AND THAT WAS O.K. WITH ME. NOW ITS EVEY THREE YEARS LIKE CLOCKWORK. ITS ALWAYS PISSED ME OFF ABOUT THE (OTHERS) WHO NEVER GET THE CALL. IN MY FIELD I KNOW I'LL NEVER SIT ON A JURY. I THINK WHEN A JURY DOES WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO THEY ARE A WONDERFUL THING, BUT WHEN THEY HEAD SOUTH HALF WAY THROUGH A TRIAL AND NULLIFY EVIDENCE AND FIND SOMEONE NOT GUILTY WHEN THEY ARE UNEQUIVICALLY GUILTY THEN I THINK ITS THE WORST POSSIBLE ACTION THAT COULD HAPPEN (see O. J. TRIAL). I HAVE SEEN THE MOST GUILTY GET OFF AND THE LEAST GUILTY BE SENT AWAY. ON THE WHOLE I DON'T BELIEVE JURIES WORK. IT IS AN EXERCISE IN FUTILITY.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #16
Thom

I usally get kicked out when the ask about you be related to anybody in Law enforcement. Let see Uncle who was a Judge before he died a Cousin who is court officer and another cousin who is a police chief and her husband who is a police offcer that usally gets me off. ThomT
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote