Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-24-2019, 06:52 AM   #31
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I got home yesterday afternoon. Was still leaking quite a bit, even after drain line was removed, so that delayed release a couple hours. Just changed pressure dressing and still a little leak, but that is so much better than trying to get that blood out through PT only. Get pushing on that today after we get drainage controlled/answered. BM this morning... early excitement. No way I could be home alone. Wife has been awesome, as usual. MIL will occasionally ask why I am on crutches again... Will keep it brief with updates as I can report improvements that are truly milestones vs just little baby steps that I see. Get me some fishing/family/Memorial Day pics and reports, please

Good luck, dude!~

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #32
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I’m sure you will get through this with flying colors Ross. Best wishes and do what they say. Glad you have help
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #33
Sea Dangles

Steady as she goes Cap!
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #34
Nebe

Thinking of you Ross. Heal up fast
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #35
Guppy
User

You got this
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #36
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Ross, all the best wishes for a speedy recovery.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #37
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I clearly underestimated the scale of this surgery, in both the pain (and management of it) as well as all the help needed around the house daily.... On the upside of it, I can report that it has been ten days since I had a cigarette, so I will take that all day long...….

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #38
Sea Dangles

Don’t play catch up with the pain. One day at a time will work fine here.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #39
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I just started CBD oil for the pain in my knees (both) one worse than the other. That #^&#^&#^&#^& works!!!

Old 05-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #40
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I clearly underestimated the scale of this surgery, in both the pain (and management of it) as well as all the help needed around the house daily.... On the upside of it, I can report that it has been ten days since I had a cigarette, so I will take that all day long...….
Keep it going, perfect time to get it done, glad you’re on the mend
Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #41
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

So here I sit on June 14, Flag Day. Icing. PT appointment in town at 0930. This will be just my fourth time out since the surgery.

Today is three months since I fell and forced the surgery. It is also three weeks and two days since surgery. Using cane and one crutch as a back up. Still not full weight bearing.

Pain is more manageable and evolving. A lot is being able to differentiate and isolate muscles and areas that are healing stretching, etc. Sleeping is better. Will try driving around the block this afternoon. Not going to drive to PT as I use the oxys to lube up and do as much movement as I can bear to. Been very limited use, preferring the Tylenol. So much of this is getting right between my ears... Up to now has been slow going, but improvements seem to be accelerating. So I take the improvements graciously. There is no forcing this thing ahead of schedule, which was hard to accept as I have always been a fast healer.

So, much respect to anyone who has had a knee replaced, any joint replacement (or other serious surgeries for that matter). Take care of you body and appreciate all the smalls in your life that we can do... It is a different story when abilities are taken away.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #42
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Ross, I understand. I had 10 operations in 2003. One was a Quad bypass. I felt like a bus had hit me and my cardio guys said I would have been better off. It took 6 weeks for me to feel somewhat normal and 4 months until I could fish again.

I ONE thing I did learn from the experience was to listen to your body. You will know when it is right to do something. If it doesn't feel totally right, then don't do it and I mean anything.

I have no doubt that you will be fine. You are young (compared to me), strong willed and your determination will drive you to succeed.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #43
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

7/16 update

So tomorrow will be eight weeks since the replacement surgery. I am improved since last post here, no doubt.

I am checking off all the boxes with rehab/PT 3x a week plus aqua therapy in my neighbor's pool 4x this past week. I have gotten to 115 degree range of motion. But muscle mass has atrophied, a lot. Very slow getting strength back. So here is what the surgeon told me two weeks ago at six week appointment. (It has taken me two weeks to wrap my head around this...) The replacement surgery took one hour. He was in there for two hours.... first hour to clean up the mess from all my previous surgeries, assuming scar tissue. Said he was not the first guy invited to the party.... So an extra hour of anesthesia. A lot more soft tissue damage to heal. He "set a bomb off in your knee." Normally tells patients the one hour surgery requires one year for 100 percent recovery. Did not say I would need any more, and would probably be less, BUT, here it comes... It will be 4 months from the surgery before I am starting to feel good enough to say I am happy I had it done... And walking confidently without a cane.

So another eight weeks/two months to go... Sleep sucks, as I am up four times a night from minor discomfort in the joint or muscles and have to go pee from anti inflammatory. Aqua therapy is great, but wipes me out. I was able to get the trash out to the curb today... I can drive. And am still off the cigarettes, which is awesome! Pretty much off the oxys, except when I know we have a big push scheduled at PT, but none in a over a week. It's my reality. Just accepting it... And should be doing a better job of that!
So fall run, albies, and other peoples boats in September!
As Clammer says: appreciate what you have!

Old 07-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #44
Sea Dangles

CBD yourself to sleep.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #45
Guppy
User

We’ll give that knee a workout this fall, think alby:-)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #46
PaulS

Sorry to hear that Ross. The bright side is once you're at 100% you'll find it was worth it.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #47
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I'm sure it's not easy Ross but hang in there and it will all be worth it. Sounds like you are doing well.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:20 AM   #48
Rockfish9

Hang in there Ross, healing takes time,my company manufacturers hips, knees, spinal inserts and trauma plates, a sister company in Colorado makes the installation tools, when I look at this stuff daily,I wonder how anyone can walk agian,but they do, better than before. ..do what they tell you, the way they tell you, and by this time next year, you'll be as pert as a rutting buck ( a line poached from the outlaw Jose Whales)if you feel up to.it in September, pm me, it's only a few hundred yards from fish to dock, I'd be happy to take you out for a few hours... and keep up the good work on quitting the cancer sticks.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #49
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Be twelve weeks post op this week.
Started walking without a cane this weekend. Another breakthrough. Walking….
Using cane around house tonight as PT really cranked it for two hours today and I am just fatigued. But now I can start to think about some work and some fishing soon! Walking... I will never take it for granted again.