Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-11-2023, 05:57 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

9-11

One of the most shocking and sad days I’ve lived through. Was working from my home office and remembered coming in for coffee and the TV was on and I sat down and didn’t move for hours. RIP to those lost and T&P’s for those still suffering from the rescue efforts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9-11.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	70012  

Last edited by Got Stripers; 09-11-2023 at 07:28 AM..
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:54 PM   #2
spence

I was in a classified facility that designed spy satellites in upstate New York. Not having clearance they had to bend a lot of rules to even get me in the building to lead the training classes. Because of the nature of their work they went on immediate lockdown. It was a surreal day, I remember wondering what gets hit next. Driving back through Albany the exchange with I87 was blocked off with a giant sign that simply read “New York City Closed.”
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 01:21 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

I was building a school.
One of the plumbers cut his finger off with a portaband.
Because of disaster protocol they couldn’t take him the twenty minutes to Dartmouth, he was flown to Albany in a chopper.
They put the finger back on.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:52 PM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I was driving to work from my home on Long Island, to Staten Island. When I crossed the city line in Springfield Gardens, I noticed a mushroom cloud of smoke in the sky. At first, I thought that one of those firetrap horse barns at Aqueduct race track had gone up. Listening to Imus on the radio, they cut in with news that a plane crashed into the WTC. When the skyline came into sight, I saw the first tower just billowing smoke. They were saying it was possibly a small private plane, but the sheer volume of thick black smoke told me, medium to large jet. I remember that the traffic was unusually light. Might have been a school holiday---NYC has a lot of them. I was able to keep one eye on the road, and the other on the building. As you get into Brooklyn, there's a small bridge on the Belt over Gerritsen Creek, which separates Sheepshead Bay from Marine Park. As I was crossing it, I saw what l first told myself was a police or news helicopter, even though it looked for all the world like an airliner in United Airline's livery. Which of course was what it was. Seconds later it went into the south tower, spewing a massive fireball.

From then on I was on autopilot. I still have no idea why I continued into work rather than turn around and head home. But I drove across the Verrazano bridge doing about 90 because I realized how exposed it was if whoever was attacking the city had more planes. FDNY Rescue 5 passed me going the other way---every man on that truck died less than an hour later in the collapse of the south tower.

Now I'm at work, and stuck on the Island because all of the bridges were shut down. A retired detective who worked with us loaded us into his car, and talked his way over the bridge---we left our cars there. He let us borrow his car to get us the rest of the way.

What I still remember is the smell--think of an electrical fire and magnify it 100 times. I could still see the smoke plumes from some of my fishing spots for about 10 days afterwards.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:52 PM   #5
PaulS

It was primary day for mayor in New York and people believe that kept the death toll down from people going to work late after voting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote