Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #31
rayndogg

awesome looking stuff Paul thanks for sharing. helps keep me motivated and gives me ideas.

rene
rayndogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #32
Ed White
Lunker

Great looking batch of plugs, really clean looking all around, and I'm impressed that you take the time to make your own lips, I was looking at the Dannies and wondered where you found that lip. Are you cutting/sanding bending or have you got dies to punch them?
On another note, I've seen the turned up edges on lips like that on Cowboys, what is the desired effect of that?
Ed White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #33
Hookedagain

The yellow and white Pencils and the lime and silver poppers are very sexy! Gerat looking stuff Paul.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #34
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed White View Post
Great looking batch of plugs, really clean looking all around, and I'm impressed that you take the time to make your own lips, I was looking at the Dannies and wondered where you found that lip. Are you cutting/sanding bending or have you got dies to punch them?
On another note, I've seen the turned up edges on lips like that on Cowboys, what is the desired effect of that?
Alas I did not make those pikie lips, the only ones I did not, but I did modify them with another lip slot lower on the lip. I used the modified lips on the Dannies and I flattened and rebent the modified lips for the Pichney jointed plugs. I made them to the dimensions Pichney used. I mill the lips out of stainless and bend on a brake. No sanding and burning my fingersI do not have punches as I don't make enough to warrant making a die. I make the lips for these plugs because you can't buy them and I really like these plugs so necessity requires it. The method I use is simple enough for me. The bent up sides give the plug a little tighter wiggle. Atom was the first one to do it I think and Pichney seem to use them a lot on his plugs like the Conrad and Dannies off the top of my head.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #35
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Striper View Post
They all look great, Nice variety of styles and I love the colors.The finish looks super, are you still using the West System stuff??
thanks. System3 Clear Coat. Not a West System product I don't think. 2 coats on everything. Pretty time consuming but very durable so I keep on using the method. Probably the worst part of the building process. There are some fine bubbles in some of the plugs but you got to look real close and the fish could care less. I always dread the process and always thrilled when it is done.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 04-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #36
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Paul awesome work, as usual. I too like that old school yellow. If your brain can remember the formulation or something close chime back in.
Hey Billy I am pretty sure I used Golden yellow and added a little createx gold pearl in small amounts till I got pretty close. I have an original Musso darter in that color so I kept comparing till I got close. Hope that helps.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #37
pbadad

Is the Golden Yellow a craft paint color or createx?

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #38
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

sorry Billy. The company is Golden. A little expensive but high quality stuff. I mostly use Createx but do have a bunch of Golden too.
http://www.goldenpaints.com/

Feels funny to hear someone asking me about painting as I feel I am pretty vanilla, hackish, with my approach to painting. Compared to some of the guys doing plugs nowadays I am light years behind.