Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
wdmso

TRUMP NEWS AT IT AGAIN

Fox news on a full court press against the WHO in support of trumps blame game its astounding ... to watch. .... where was this interest prior to Trumps deflections and blaming the WHO
Old 04-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
Jim in CT

where was the interest? so you’re saying we should have criticized the WHO before we were aware of how badly they bungled this? is it your opinion that only trump deserves criticism for all this?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Here's Trump* on Faux on February 10th on China and WHO.

"China is very professionally run in the sense that they have everything under control....we just sent some of our best people over there, World Health Organization and a lot of them are composed of our people. They're fantastic."

Does anyone think that he was told this by people outside his cabinet and Faux? Unless you count Xi.

But, in all fairness, this was before Trump* discovered his natural ability extended to epidemiology, and then became an expert.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
where was the interest? so you’re saying we should have criticized the WHO before we were aware of how badly they bungled this? is it your opinion that only trump deserves criticism for all this?
Do you always blame the dog if you fart in the house. Or the dog ate my home work?

Jim your smart enought to see whats happening and why...
Old 04-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Do you always blame the dog if you fart in the house. Or the dog ate my home work?

Jim your smart enought to see whats happening and why...
no i don’t blame
the dog. you’re saying the World Health Organization is as blameless as a dog? We don’t expect them to be competent and honest? a lot of countries are disappointed with the who.

i’m not saying he’s not deflecting blame. that doesn't mean the who didn’t screw up too.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

All he did was delay and now he’s pointing at anyone else.
Notice how the test blaming changes, his usual MO

WHO on January 23

To other countries:
It is expected that further international exportation of cases may appear in any country. Thus, all countries should be prepared for containment, including active surveillance, early detection, isolation and case management, contact tracing and prevention of onward spread of 2019-nCoV infection, and to share full data with WHO.

Countries are required to share information with WHO according to the IHR.

Technical advice is available here. Countries should place particular emphasis on reducing human infection, prevention of secondary transmission and international spread and contributing to the international response though multi-sectoral communication and collaboration and active participation in increasing knowledge on the virus and the disease, as well as advancing research. Countries should also follow travel advice from WHO.

And plenty more came out of WHO before the Stable Genius did something

Trump* on March 8th
They're trying to scare everybody, from meetings, cancel the meetings, close the schools — you know, destroy the country. And that's ok, as long as we can win the election. But I really believe that if they see that the Trump administration is handling this virus in a professional, competent way, I don't believe that's going to hurt us.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
Nebe

A classic case of scapegoating.

Trump is the leading cause of death in this country right now. (Kidding. Not kidding.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
A classic case of scapegoating.

Trump is the leading cause of death in this country right now. (Kidding. Not kidding.
Asked why the US accounted for such a significant proportion of the global coronavirus death toll of more than 137,000, Mr Trump accused other countries of lying about their mortality rate....

A reasonable answer would be we are a country of 328 million
Old 04-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #9
scottw

Quote:
Asked why the US accounted for such a significant proportion of the global coronavirus death toll of more than 137,000, Mr Trump accused other countries of lying about their mortality rate....

A reasonable answer would be we are a country of 328 million
or he could just say...New York
Old 04-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #10
Sea Dangles

The US has paid their fair share (more) to The Who. Currently,it seems like a bad investment. Kind of like nato. Time to recalibrate. Seems like we were not getting our bang for the buck.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
The US has paid their fair share (more) to The Who. Currently,it seems like a bad investment. Kind of like nato. Time to recalibrate. Seems like we were not getting our bang for the buck.
Ahhh and expert. Please explain.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #12
Sea Dangles

?
Old 04-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #13
Sea Dangles

I could type slower.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Ahhh and expert. Please explain.
Well for one, people besides Trump (Dr Birx for one) are suggesting that both China and the WHO sat on the knowledge that there was human-to-human transmission. If a country believed that it could only be transmitted from animal-to-human, that might make that country inclined to not take the precautions it would take if they knew there was human-to-human transmission.

Trump, Birx, and others are making this claim. If they are correct, is that not valid reason to be ticked at the WHO?

And if you think they are incorrect, what are you basing that on?

We shouldn't be making false accusations against the WHO. But if that's a true accusation, then the WHO screwed the planet bigtime.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

The WHO has no judicial or enforcement powers.
Members of the UN that choose to be members may join and it is assumed that they will be truthful for the benefit of all humanity.
Sort of like the World Court where some nations get involved and others do not and claim that it has no jurisdiction over them.

But the question that needs to be asked is why this administration did not fill it's seat on the Executive Board of WHO, it has been empty since 2018 and is a three year term.

Typical of this administration to not take any effort to control, but make every effort to blame.

Sounds like another "Nobody told me" is coming

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #16
wdmso

Quote:
Well for one, people besides Trump (Dr Birx for one) are suggesting that both China and the WHO sat on the knowledge that there was human-to-human transmission. If a country believed that it could only be transmitted from animal-to-human, that might make that country inclined to not take the precautions it would take if they knew there was human-to-human transmission.

Trump, Birx, and others are making this claim. If they are correct, is that not valid reason to be ticked at the WHO?

And if you think they are incorrect, what are you basing that on?

We shouldn't be making false accusations against the WHO. But if that's a true accusation, then the WHO screwed the planet bigtime.
The WHO doesn't possess a crystal ball.
They never sat on or with held information to not upset China.. thats a Fox news spin

They give guidance and direction based on what they Know . Not what they think they know.. Countries around the world do not solely depend on The WHOs direction, this includes the US. And they never have.

The WHO
has no authority over any territory...

But this is the latest defense form Trump his supporters. Seeing his video only worked on his supporters
Old 04-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
The WHO doesn't possess a crystal ball.
They never sat on or with held information to not upset China.. thats a Fox news spin

They give guidance and direction based on what they Know . Not what they think they know.. Countries around the world do not solely depend on The WHOs direction, this includes the US. And they never have.

The WHO
has no authority over any territory...

But this is the latest defense form Trump his supporters. Seeing his video only worked on his supporters
'The WHO doesn't possess a crystal ball.'

Who said they did? The WHO said early on, that it could only be transmitted animal-to-human. Obviously we know that's not true. The WHO was catastrophically wrong.

You are desperately bending over backwards to make sure that no blame goes anywhere other than Trumps shoulders. I think it's very fair to ask Trump why he didn't do more early. It's also fair to ask the WHO when they knew it could be transmitted human-to-human.

I can happily follow the facts wherever they go. You stop in your tracks, the second the facts shift blame away from Trump. In your mind, no one else could have done anything wrong. Only Trump's errors are worth discussing.

"They never sat on or with held information to not upset China"

Prove that, please.

Dr Birx is saying that either China or the WHO had to know that it was transmitting human-to-human. On what basis do you conclude that is spin? She gets her cues from Foxnews? Can you prove that?

I agree with you that we shouldn't be making false accusations against the WHO. Here is where we disagree - if the WHO screwed up (and I don't know if they did), we should investigate that too. You don't want to talk about any screw ups that aren't Trumps.

I'd love to hear you dispute that.

"The WHO
has no authority over any territory... "

I never said they did. I said they offer advice, guidance, and conclusions, which the world relies on (in part) to make public health decisions. They were horribly wrong in this case. Can you please tell me what I said in this paragraph, which is incorrect?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 04-16-2020 at 11:02 AM..
Old 04-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Any of this sound familar?

I see some pretty scary parallels to the current US administration in Zhou's actions.

A crucial turning point in the pandemic came on Jan. 20, after China’s central government sent the country’s most famous epidemiologist, Zhong Nanshan, to Wuhan to investigate the new coronavirus racing through that city of 11 million people. Dr. Zhong delivered a startling message on national television: Local officials had covered up the seriousness of the outbreak, the contagion spread quickly between people, doctors were dying and everyone should avoid the city.

Dr. Zhong, an eccentric 83-year-old who led the fight against the SARS outbreak of 2002 and 2003, was one of few people in China with enough standing to effectively call Wuhan’s mayor, Zhou Xianwang, a rising official in the Communist Party, a liar.

Mr. Zhou, eager to see no disruption in his plans for a local party congress from Jan. 11 to 17 and a potluck dinner for 40,000 families on Jan. 18, appears to have had his police and local health officials close the seafood market, threaten doctors and assure the public that there was little or no transmission.

Mr Trump* eager to see no disruption in his plans for campaign rallies and the economy that he felt his reelection was dependent on, appears to have ignored public health officials, threatened whistleblowers and assured the public that there was little or no transmission.

Less than three days after Dr. Zhong’s warning was broadcast, China locked down the city, preventing anyone from entering or leaving and imposing strict rules on movement within it — conditions it would later extend far behind Wuhan, encompassing tens of millions of people.

That was January 20th
On Jan. 22, two days after Chinese officials first publicized the serious threat posed by the new virus ravaging the city of Wuhan, the chief of the World Health Organization held the first of what would be months of almost daily media briefings, sounding the alarm, telling the world to take the outbreak seriously.

Meanwhile back in the USA,

Trump consistently downplayed the threat until it became apparent that people were dying and it would not soon, as he claimed "BE DOWN TO ZERO"

March 17, 2020: Pandemic
Trump:I’ve always known this is a real, this is a pandemic,” Trump said. “I’ve felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #19
wdmso

Quote:
'The WHO doesn't possess a crystal ball.'

Who said they did? The WHO said early on, that it could only be transmitted animal-to-human. Obviously we know that's not true. The WHO was catastrophically wrong.( you just did )

You are desperately bending over backwards to make sure that no blame goes anywhere other than Trumps shoulders. I think it's very fair to ask Trump why he didn't do more early. It's also fair to ask the WHO when they knew it could be transmitted human-to-human.

they knew January 20th It is clear that at least some human to human transmission exists from the evidence we have, but we don’t have clear evidence that shows the virus has the capacity to transmit among humans easily,” said Takeshi Kasai, the World Health Organization’s regional director for the Western Pacific, in an interview with Bloomberg.3 He added, “For us to analyse the full extent of human to human transmission, we need some more informationI can happily follow the facts wherever they go. You stop in your tracks, the second the facts shift blame away from Trump. In your mind, no one else could have done anything wrong. Only Trump's errors are worth discussing. Trumps errors are Trump errors and his and his Administration's Alone thats not even debatable

"They never sat on or with held information to not upset China"

Prove that, please.

Dr Birx is saying that either China or the WHO had to know that it was transmitting human-to-human. On what basis do you conclude that is spin? She gets her cues from Foxnews? Can you prove that?

I agree with you that we shouldn't be making false accusations against the WHO. Here is where we disagree - if the WHO screwed up (and I don't know if they did), we should investigate that too. You don't want to talk about any screw ups that aren't Trumps.

I'd love to hear you dispute that.

"The WHO
has no authority over any territory... "

I never said they did. I said they offer advice, guidance, and conclusions, which the world relies on (in part) to make public health decisions. They were horribly wrong in this case. Can you please tell me what I said in this paragraph, which is incorrect?

jim your confusing what you said, with what Trump and his friends over at fox are spreading ..

I will be more specific when referring to things in a general and be specific if it relates to something you said . to avoid any confusion

"The virus was identified on January the 7th. The [genetic] sequence was shared on the 12th with the world."

When WHO issued its first guidance to countries, it was extremely clear that respiratory precautions should be taken in dealing with patients with this disease,"

In early January, the disease was known only through a cluster of atypical pneumonia cases — pneumonia with an unknown origin.All of that was out on the 10th and the 11th of January,"
Jan. 14. In that session, she discussed the questions that researchers were trying to answer about the virus, from the modes of transmission to the extent of infection in patients.

Jan 14
"All of our guidance that was out before we did that press conference was about limiting exposure to people and to prevent transmission, particularly in health care settings," Van Kerkhove said.

Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

What happened in February Trump tweeted almost 900 times in February but mentioned the coronavirus just 20 times

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

Old 04-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
jim your confusing what you said, with what Trump and his friends over at fox are spreading ..

I will be more specific when referring to things in a general and be specific if it relates to something you said . to avoid any confusion

"The virus was identified on January the 7th. The [genetic] sequence was shared on the 12th with the world."

When WHO issued its first guidance to countries, it was extremely clear that respiratory precautions should be taken in dealing with patients with this disease,"

In early January, the disease was known only through a cluster of atypical pneumonia cases — pneumonia with an unknown origin.All of that was out on the 10th and the 11th of January,"
Jan. 14. In that session, she discussed the questions that researchers were trying to answer about the virus, from the modes of transmission to the extent of infection in patients.

Jan 14
"All of our guidance that was out before we did that press conference was about limiting exposure to people and to prevent transmission, particularly in health care settings," Van Kerkhove said.

Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

What happened in February Trump tweeted almost 900 times in February but mentioned the coronavirus just 20 times

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

i am aware of what the WHO said in january ( not easily transmitted between humans). There are those who say they knew more, back then. i don’t k is if that’s true or not. if i was only guided by politics, i’d say it’s true. that’s not wht i’m saying. if Dr Birx says they had to know it was easily transmitted from person to person, i have no reason to conclude she’s wrong.

You’re the one jumping to conclusions to benefit your politics.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
they knew January 20th..." It is clear that at least some human to human transmission exists from the evidence we have, but we don’t have clear evidence that shows the virus has the capacity to transmit among humans easily,” said Takeshi Kasai, the World Health Organization’s regional director for the Western Pacific"
Follow along here...

If the WHO said on January 20th that there was no evidence that it transmitted easily from human to human, then on what basis are you libs shrieking that Trump should have done much more.

You can't have it both ways.

If Trump instituted a lockdown on January, you all would have gone berserk that he was going against the WHO.

You say his Chinese travel restrictions went too far, but at the same time say he didn't do nearly enough. Yet you also say the WHO wasn't negligent in January when they said it wasn't easily transmitted from human to human. So according to you, the WHO had no reason to say it transmitted easily from human to human in late January, yet at the same time you say Trump didn't do enough in January. Which is it? He was supposed to know better than the WHO? About what was happening in Wuhan?

Additionally, Libs don't like Trump saying he has "total control" over forcing states to do what he wants, yet you only blame him and not the governors, who you say have that control. So you say Trump can't tell states what to do, but at the same time all this is Trumps fault, not the fault of the governors who you say are the only ones with authority to do anything. Again, which is it? You can't have both.

There is zero logic there. The only consistency, naturally, is that every syllable is an attack on Trump. You cannot do anything else.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #22
scottw

Quote:

they always want it both ways...they are bi-factual
Old 04-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
If the WHO said on January 20th that there was no evidence that it transmitted easily from human to human, then on what basis are you libs shrieking that Trump should have done much more.
But they didn't say that.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

Some people just plain lie

It only works one way, not both ways and there is no way to gaslight it unless you ignore the facts.
Perhaps you think that the WHO should react every time someone sneezes.
They provided reliable information when they had it, that's their mission.
It's not perfect, few organizations are but if you think it should improve and you are a major funder you should at least send a representative to the executive board.
Consider where we would be in past pandemics if they did not exist.

This administration denied and ignored the proferred advice, did not start the pandemic plan which would have prepared the Strategic National Stockpile, notified the Governors, prepared the medical community, etc. and it's incompetence magnified the effect of Covid-19 in the USA.

All the documents are public and the video of Trump* denying and downplaying it are in the public domain.

Don't ignore the fact that the US has a very good handle on movements on the ground all over the world and large scale reductions in traffic are easily identifiable thru satellite imagery.

31 Dec 2019

China reported a cluster of cases of pneumonia in Wuhan, Hubei Province. A novel coronavirus was eventually identified.

1 January 2020

WHO had set up the IMST (Incident Management Support Team) across the three levels of the organization: headquarters, regional headquarters and country level, putting the organization on an emergency footing for dealing with the outbreak.

4 January 2020

WHO reported on social media that there was a cluster of pneumonia cases – with no deaths – in Wuhan, Hubei province.

5 January 2020

WHO published our first Disease Outbreak News on the new virus. This is a flagship technical publication to the scientific and public health community as well as global media. It contained a risk assessment and advice, and reported on what China had told the organization about the status of patients and the public health response on the cluster of pneumonia cases in Wuhan.

10 January 2020

WHO issued a comprehensive package of technical guidance online with advice to all countries on how to detect, test and manage potential cases, based on what was known about the virus at the time. This guidance was shared with WHO's regional emergency directors to share with WHO representatives in countries.

Based on experience with SARS and MERS and known modes of transmission of respiratory viruses, infection and prevention control guidance were published to protect health workers recommending droplet and contact precautions when caring for patients, and airborne precautions for aerosol generating procedures conducted by health workers.

12 January 2020

China publicly shared the genetic sequence of COVID-19.

13 January 2020

Officials confirm a case of COVID-19 in Thailand, the first recorded case outside of China.

14 January 2020

WHO's technical lead for the response noted in a press briefing there may have been limited human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus (in the 41 confirmed cases), mainly through family members, and that there was a risk of a possible wider outbreak. The lead also said that human-to-human transmission would not be surprising given our experience with SARS, MERS and other respiratory pathogens.

20-21 January 2020

WHO experts from its China and Western Pacific regional offices conducted a brief field visit to Wuhan.

22 January 2020

WHO mission to China issued a statement saying that there was evidence of human-to-human transmission in Wuhan but more investigation was needed to understand the full extent of transmission.

22- 23 January 2020

The WHO Director- General convened an Emergency Committee (EC) under the International Health Regulations (IHR 2005) to assess whether the outbreak constituted a public health emergency of international concern. The independent members from around the world could not reach a consensus based on the evidence available at the time. They asked to be reconvened within 10 days after receiving more information.

28 January 2020

A senior WHO delegation led by the Director-General travelled to Beijing to meet China’s leadership, learn more about China’s response, and to offer any technical assistance.

While in Beijing, Dr. Tedros agreed with Chinese government leaders that an international team of leading scientists would travel to China on a mission to better understand the context, the overall response, and exchange information and experience.

30 January 2020

The WHO Director-General reconvened the Emergency Committee (EC). This was earlier than the 10-day period and only two days after the first reports of limited human-to-human transmission were reported outside China. This time, the EC reached consensus and advised the Director-General that the outbreak constituted a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). The Director-General accepted the recommendation and declared the novel coronavirus outbreak (2019-nCoV) a PHEIC. This is the 6th time WHO has declared a PHEIC since the International Health Regulations (IHR) came into force in 2005.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
wdmso just posted that they said that. it’s in his post.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
From WDSMO's post...

"they knew January 20th It is clear that at least some human to human transmission exists from the evidence we have, but we don’t have clear evidence that shows the virus has the capacity to transmit among humans easily,” said Takeshi Kasai, the World Health Organization’s regional director for the Western Pacific"
Old 04-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
From WDSMO's post...

"they knew January 20th It is clear that at least some human to human transmission exists from the evidence we have, but we don’t have clear evidence that shows the virus has the capacity to transmit among humans easily,” said Takeshi Kasai, the World Health Organization’s regional director for the Western Pacific"
That's not what you said.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

14 January 2020

WHO's technical lead for the response noted in a press briefing there may have been limited human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus (in the 41 confirmed cases), mainly through family members, and that there was a risk of a possible wider outbreak. The lead also said that human-to-human transmission would not be surprising given our experience with SARS, MERS and other respiratory pathogens.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #29
Sea Dangles

You it’s certainly an association worth revisiting.
It could be time to drain that swamp also
Old 04-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #30
wdmso

Quote:
Follow along here...

If Trump instituted a lockdown on January, you all would have gone berserk that he was going against the WHO.

You say his Chinese travel restrictions went too far, but at the same time say he didn't do nearly enough. Yet you also say the WHO wasn't negligent in January when they said it wasn't easily transmitted from human to human. So according to you, the WHO had no reason to say it transmitted easily from human to human in late January, yet at the same time you say Trump didn't do enough in January. Which is it? He was supposed to know better than the WHO? About what was happening in Wuhan?

Additionally, Libs don't like Trump saying he has "total control" over forcing states to do what he wants, yet you only blame him and not the governors, who you say have that control. So you say Trump can't tell states what to do, but at the same time all this is Trumps fault, not the fault of the governors who you say are the only ones with authority to do anything. Again, which is it? You can't have both.

There is zero logic there. The only consistency, naturally, is that every syllable is an attack on Trump. You cannot do anything else.
Clearly you want it both ways blame china and the WHO. For what Trump failed to do.. its that obvious..

White House defends Ivanka Trump's personal travel amid lockdown

Shocking