Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
JohnnyD

An interesting collection of clips...

...that show why sensible people don't respect FoxNews.

How many different ways did the various FoxNews reporters demonstrate that they couldn't be more wrong?
http://www.dailykostv.com/w/001151/

I guess Obama isn't lacking some balls after all.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
spence

DailyKos? Not that they'd take anything out of context

But I do think your overall point is sound. Reading the posts on this very board clearly indicates some were looking for every opportunity to jump on Obama here right or wrong.

NO STATEMENT? NO STATEMENT? OBAMA HAS LOST IT HE DIDN'T EVEN MAKE A STATEMENT!!!!! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!

This does signal a big shift from how Bush would have handled the situation from a PR perspective. The Obama Administration is clearly looking to not inflate the situation through visceral rhetoric so it can be used for other purposes.

Some took this as a sign of weakness, but I was taught that one should walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Change indeed.

-spence
Old 04-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Absolutely spence. DailyKos is very liberal and not a source for unbiased information.

My interest was more in the video than the hugely biased story. At the same time, you could flip on FoxNews just about any day these last few days and see this exact reporting going on throughout the day.

My point, and you got it, is that just because Obama wasn't holding a press conference every hour about the situation and wasn't telling the American public exactly what what happening, he didn't have the balls to handle the situation appropriately.

Many on the Right give the impression that because Obama isn't an arrogant prick who tells the world "you're with us or you're against us" like his predecessor, he is somehow weak.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
scottw

Spence Alynski...what is happening to you?
you are wearing a tight sweater with a big "O" on the front and waving pom poms shouting....
gimme a "C"....C
gimme a "H"....H
gimme a "A"....A
gimme a "N"....N
gimme a "G"....G
gimme a "E".....E

what's that spell? you have a schoolgirl infatuation for this guy...he's a senior, you are a freshman cheerleader....your friends all know that he's a smooth talking rat...his friends all know that he's a smooth talking rat..but you are just starry eyed

he's going to break your heart
because there's simply not much there beyond the GQ covers and teleprompter speeches, even the libs are waking up....

The Washington Post columnist Robert Samuelson may be a liberal but what Obama is doing to the economy is even too radical for him:

President Obama has made no secret of his vision for America's 21st-century economy. We will lead the world in "green" technologies to stop global warming. Advancing medical breakthroughs will improve our well-being, control health spending and enable us to expand insurance coverage. These investments in energy and health care, as well as education, will revive the economy and create millions of well-paying new jobs for middle-class Americans.

It's a dazzling rhetorical vista that excites the young and fits the country's mood, which blames "capitalist greed" for the economic crisis. Obama promises communal goals and a more widely shared prosperity. The trouble is that it may not work as well in practice as it does in Obama's speeches. Still, congressional Democrats press ahead to curb global warming and achieve near-universal health insurance. We should not be stampeded into far-reaching changes that have little to do with today's crisis.

What Obama proposes is a "post-material economy." He would de-emphasize the production of ever-more private goods and services, harnessing the economy to achieve broad social goals. In the process, he sets aside the standard logic of economic progress.

Since the dawn of the Industrial Age, this has been simple: produce more with less. ("Productivity," in economic jargon.) Mass markets developed for clothes, cars, computers and much more because declining costs expanded production. Living standards rose. By contrast, the logic of the "post-material economy" is just the opposite: Spend more and get less.

Samuelson then gives us a brief glimpse at what a "post material" economy is:

What defines the "post-material economy" is a growing willingness to sacrifice money income for psychic income -- "feeling good." Some people may gladly pay higher energy prices if they think they're "saving the planet" from global warming. Some may accept higher taxes if they think they're improving the health or education of the poor. Unfortunately, these psychic benefits may be based on fantasies. What if U.S. cuts in greenhouse gases are offset by Chinese increases? What if more health insurance produces only modest gains in people's health?

Obama and his allies have glossed over these questions. They've left the impression that somehow magical technological breakthroughs will produce clean energy that is also cheap. Perhaps that will happen; it hasn't yet. They've talked so often about the need to control wasteful health spending that they've implied they've actually found a way of doing so. Perhaps they will, but they haven't yet.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Nebe

Zzzz
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This does signal a big shift from how Bush would have handled the situation from a PR perspective. The Obama Administration is clearly looking to not inflate the situation through visceral rhetoric so it can be used for other purposes.
Change indeed.

-spence

I think that is the definition of what a "Community Organizer" does...
Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

How many different ways did the various FoxNews reporters demonstrate that they couldn't be more wrong?

You get the same thing from any network station and the worst of all MSNBC. Do you ever watch Wolf Blitzer on CNN?

And, we don't know what Obama did or didn't do yet.

What we do know is the captain, crew and Armed Forces did their jobs well.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Zzzz
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Reality boring you Nebe?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
spence

Did anyone watch Hannity last night? It was hillarious...

His attack on Obama for our troops successfully saving the hostage was so over the top, even BERNIE GOLDBERG (hint, author of the book 100 People (liberals) Screwing up America) was taking Obama's side.

Funny stuff.

-spence
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

I watched the whole thing and SEE NO PROBLEM with the clips.First, Glen Beck is not a Fox News Reporter, just as Keith Oberman is not (finally!). His job is to critique Obama just as Matthews and Oberman was to critique Bush. Second, the other commentary was ALL around President Obama not making a statement on the matter. Which, is a fact, he did not. This was an international incident where an American's life was in danger and I believe the president should have said SOMETHING. Like it or not, the Obama story over the weekend was his dog and the easter egg hunt.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
This was an international incident where an American's life was in danger and I believe the president should have said SOMETHING.
Actions speak louder than words. Did you think the FBI and US Navy were on autopilot and the Administration was ignoring the situation?

That's how you're acting, but we know that that's not what really happened. So why do you still insist he was wrong to play the silent card? We all had clear visibility to what the Government was actually doing.

Oh yes, it's because you wanted to bitch about it. My bad...

-spence
Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Actions speak louder than words. Did you think the FBI and US Navy were on autopilot and the Administration was ignoring the situation?

That's how you're acting, but we know that that's not what really happened. So why do you still insist he was wrong to play the silent card? We all had clear visibility to what the Government was actually doing.

Oh yes, it's because you wanted to bitch about it. My bad...

-spence
I believe he should have said SOMETHING. I know what the military was doing, but not the government. With all the destroyers in the area, they must have been under orders. All I know is Obama said it was ok to use force if the capts life was in danger, I am glad he authorized it. But he is a politician and he needs to make a statement.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I believe he should have said SOMETHING.
I feel the same way about Clarence Thomas during oral arguments
Old 04-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
Cpt. Crunch
formally bssb

I hear Obama is planning to cut the navy budget entirely and outsource it to Somalia. The money he saves is going into re-education camps that Acorn has already set up across the country.

Currently, 61% of Americans approve of the way that Barack Obama is handling his job as president while 26% disapprove.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #15
PaulS

And if Obama was giving news conf. the whole time during the crisis, people would be saying he's a media hog. He had numerous meetings w/his staff concerning the situation, told the people on site that they had permission to do what was necessary and then he let the experts show their expertise. He did not blow the situation out of proportion and did not pound his chest and act like he's a tough guy. Had he done the opposite, we'd hear all about it here.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And if Obama was giving news conf. the whole time during the crisis, people would be saying he's a media hog. He had numerous meetings w/his staff concerning the situation, told the people on site that they had permission to do what was necessary and then he let the experts show their expertise. He did not blow the situation out of proportion and did not pound his chest and act like he's a tough guy. Had he done the opposite, we'd hear all about it here.
That's the luxury of these people who criticize in retrospect. They can mold their criticisms and spin their opinion after the events happen.

Have you noticed that since word came out that Obama is the one to authorize the snipers taking their shot, the conversations has shifted from "He doesn't have the balls" to "he should have held more press conferences"?

I've been getting a lot of "oh well, he should have..." or "oh well, he didn't really make the call..." from right wingers that I've talked to.