Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 02-14-2004, 09:15 AM   #1
Bill L

Simple Trim Wraps for Beginner

I am wrapping a rod, but have only done plain under/over wraps. On this rod, I plan to use green under and black over, and want to add holo-gold trim.

I'm not sure where the trim would look best, outside the green underwrap, or outside the black overwrap, or both, and how many turns would look good. I am not trying to look too fancy, just want to dress it up a little. Any suggestions?

If anybod has some pictures of guide wraps they can post as examples it would be appreciated.

Mikeccc, in your 9' canal rod article, the underwrap has what looks like three bands of a single color under the center of the guide, did you do this by wrapping a single color in, then spiralling the two threads together for three turns?

Thanks
Bill L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Billy 40

http://www.fishingphotos.net/photopo.../508/password/
Billy 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
Bill L

Thanks, that link has enough pics to keep me busy for a few days!
Old 02-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
Bill L

This is the picture from Mike's article I was asking about, can't tell if its a single thread or more than one turn for each band....

http://www.striped-bass.com/Articles/figure23.shtml

Heres a picture from the wrap at the reel seat

http://www.striped-bass.com/Articles/figure17.shtml

Last edited by Bill L; 02-14-2004 at 08:23 PM..
Old 02-14-2004, 08:32 PM   #5
Goose

I like my guide wraps metallic under and dark colors over. I also like either metallic gold or silver end bands, same for center bands. IMO..keeping your bands with few wraps makes it look sharper.

Center bands can be done easly with adhesive metallic tapes. Your under wrap will go over the tape about 4 or 5 times(see pic 1). You can also dress up your end bands with it but I wouldn't try until looking at a few first. The other way to do center bands is by wraping a few strands to make your band, tie it off then start your under wraps to the ends.

Say you want to make end bands of only two or three strands your gonna do a little more measuring, stop the under wraps under the feet then continue with a different color to the end mark, then stop your over wrap leaving the # of strands you wish. If you wish to dress up your end bands leave a little under wrap visible then your end bands.

There are a few basic technics that'll save alot of aggrivation.
Here are some that you can try.

Last edited by Goose; 02-14-2004 at 08:36 PM..
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
Goose

Started gold under feet and dressed up the ends with two short end bands.

Last edited by Goose; 02-14-2004 at 08:51 PM..
Old 02-14-2004, 08:43 PM   #7
Goose

I used black A on the ends easier to tie.

Last edited by Goose; 02-14-2004 at 08:48 PM..
Old 02-14-2004, 09:08 PM   #8
Bill L

Thanks Goose, those pictures and descriptions are very helpful. I was thinking something very similar to the first one. If I read you correctly, the center bands are made in that one with metallic tape and by spiralling the underwrap across it? I don't have the tape in hand, so will try the thin band and run the underwraps on each side out to the end.

I was thinking I could get the thin bands next to the end of the black guide overwrap by adding a second underwrap over the first, starting at the end of the guide foot and ending it a few turns past where the black guide wrap would end, then wrapping the guide wrap over this. This would end up with three layers of thread at the end of the guide foot, is this not good (ie. three layers)? I was thinking this because I'm not sure about how to start and finish a wrap with only a few turns.

I'll play around first and plan on cutting some off to see what works

Thanks
Old 02-14-2004, 09:51 PM   #9
Goose

try this for practice....tape one 12'' thread on both sides on your blank, then 3" from the left end make your mark where the wrap would end. Work from right to left, once you've wraped about 1/2" over the taped thread cut off the remaining 2" now continue your over wrap.
You'll be left with a long thread tucked under your wrap. Before making one wrap on your end band put your loop under and wrap 4 or 5 times then pull back.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:21 PM   #10
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

The wrap in the artical has the underwrap run out then a single metallic thread wraped over about 10 tirns then both threads wraped together at the same time till you get the length you want (looks like a spiral) . Then take the underwap thread cross over the metallic thread traping it . wrap about 10 more turns cut the metallic free continue the wrap till you get the length you want. If you can't get let me know I'll be back around tuesday if you have more questions.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:04 PM   #11
Billy 40

I wish I had a video, trim bands and inlays are so easy to do. I just cannot explain in words - well I can, but it would take about 3 pages worth, and it wouldn't be clear until you saw.
Billy 40 is offline   Reply With Quote