Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Bill L

Router Question

Some of Skip's responses to PNG's thread on connectivity issues got me thinking about my router, and I didn't want to hijack that thread.

I have an older Linksys WRT54G router, at least 6 years or more old. I have high speed internet through cox, with the fastest speed option. I have an xbox hard wired to the router with an ethernet cable, because I suspect the wireless speed was not good.

The question is, does my internet speed for the xbox connection suffer by going through the older router, or does it not matter because it is hard wired?
Bill L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
iamskippy

What do you have for a modem? If you have a d2 modem then no you are connected at 10/100, d3 modems and new routers connect at 10/100/1000 which is alot faster provided the network adaptor in the xbox is 10/100/1000?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Bill L

The modem is a scientific atlanta dpc2100r2, put in by cox. I think it may have been switched it out a couple of years ago when I hd a problem. Not all that familiar with the tech stuff on these
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L View Post
The modem is a scientific atlanta dpc2100r2, put in by cox. I think it may have been switched it out a couple of years ago when I hd a problem. Not all that familiar with the tech stuff on these
What level of internet service you have. That is a docsis 2 modem with a d 2 router so your matched up. However what level of internet service do you have do you have preferred?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Bill L

I have the premier internet package, just tested it at 27 down/9up
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
iamskippy

So you ate right in the range very nice. The only wat you could get more " bang for you buck " with what you have is to upgrad to Docsis3, cox offers a slamming gateway ( modem router combo) that rocks or you can get a Docsis3 modem, but yhen you would need a router upgrade and then it would all be for not if your xbox ethernet port is just 10/100 which i think it is. You could go with a wirless N adapter but in my opinion its not worth it.

So in my opionion you would get better responce times (ping times) but over all your speeds are awesome for your package, and unless xbox has a 10/100/1000 lan port upgrading your equipment at this time is not worth the investment if all is working..

Just out of curiosity where did you test your speed?

Cox has a speed test in thete internet tools site now, you can test right off cox.com
Old 02-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Bill L

I tested my speed on the cox website, I had to look up what my actual package was and I saw the test tool. This was on the desktop which is also plugged into the router. So looks like the answer to my initial question whether plugging into the older router slows down the speed, is that it is not an issue.

I googled the xbox lan speed, as far as I can tell, it is 100. I do have a wireless N adaptor for it, but I went back to the hard wire as my router is only a G and I was also having some interference issues. Are you saying that using the wireless N with a better router could give me better speed than the ethernet cable with the 100 speed?

I'll look into the cox gateway thing, my wife does a lot of photoagraphy and uploads to facebook groups a lot, from the laptop, so could have some benefits there

Thanks for your helping me understand this stuff!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

XBOX on Wireless N will not be faster than connected by Ethernet (packet overhead, interference, and a myriad of other reasons).

Both good signal wireless (possibly exluding wireless "B") and ethernet will be faster than the likely maximum broadband pipe currently available in 99% of American homes

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
XBOX on Wireless N will not be faster than connected by Ethernet (packet overhead, interference, and a myriad of other reasons).

Both good signal wireless (possibly exluding wireless "B") and ethernet will be faster than the likely maximum broadband pipe currently available in 99% of American homes
John i think you and i will agree to disagree about the wireless, i feel that you can obtain a equal if not faster signal if the conditions are right, however as i previously stated i didn't feel he had anything to gain via his xbox with a upgrade, now if his wife is sending pics and larger files that gateway is the way to go with N technology as well as multi channel bonding wouldn't you agree, especially if multiple devices are accessing in the inet at the same time?