Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-22-2020, 09:07 PM   #121
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Keep believing and spinning, you should change your response font color to orange at least then you would be consistent. On a side note who the f*ck are you, I’ve been a member on this site for probably as long as anyone and yet I’ve never seen one post of yours on the main board or any for that matter, do you even own a fishing rod?
Cry for help much?
Perhaps you and the other libtods can report him to Kevin.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-23-2020, 03:46 AM   #122
scottw

Quote:

On a side note who the f*ck are you, I’ve been a member on this site for probably as long as anyone and yet I’ve never seen one post of yours on the main board or any for that matter, do you even own a fishing rod?
Yesterday 08:59 PM
Got Stripers No sorry if you don’t contribute jack sh*t anywhere else on this site you need to go, find yourself a political only site and have at it. If he owns a rod it has a snoopy logo on the top.

wow...what that was uncalled for.....so much for open-minded and inclusive
Old 06-23-2020, 05:48 AM   #123
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
It's been a while, but I've posted several times on other forums in this site--the movie, music, and sports forums in particular, but a few others as well. Been a member for over eleven years. And I no longer own a fishing rod.

There was a time when I hung out with a family who owned a cottage on Harsens Island, and would go fishing with them on the St. Clair River and Lake St. Clair, and a few other places. Nothing big like you guys do on this forum, just small fresh water fish. It was nice to be out on the lake, but wasn't into the hard work of prepping the boat in the spring and wasn't that good at catching anything.

One of my most favorite pieces of literature is Hemingway's Big Two Hearted River. I camped off of it in the U.P one summer many years ago.

I happened on this site not as an intention but more as an accident. I had been selling stuff on ebay as an addition to my pension and social security income--which was the cause of my even being interested in using a computer. So I was a novice at it, and gradually wandered outside of ebay and into the endless ocean of the internet. Long story short, I wanted to verify something going viral about an Australian Prime minister, if I remember correctly, who wrote or said something . . . gosh I can't remember what it was . . . maybe about liberalism or some such thing . . . and found a link to a post by Buckman on this site.

Being introduced to the site, and the political forum on which Buckman's post appeared, I began to read other threads and even old ones. There were these fascinating discussions that I wanted to have but had no outlet for.

I registered and eventually began joining the conversation. I searched for other sites which more realistically fit my personal interests, golf sites, philosophy sites, literary sites, but though they all had political forums, the discussion lacked the "real" quality--the fleshy, salty, sort of blood and guts views that fishermen seem to have, and is mingled with the natural inner search for meanings found in the craft of fishing as can be found in Hemingway's fishing stories, or even in Moby-#^&#^&#^&#^&, for that matter.

So I ignored the other forums and have become addicted to this one. You guys are, for sure, really "real." I was sorry to see some move on to other places and are no longer part of the discussions here. I remember, with respect if not fondly, the great JohnnyD who loved to stir the pot. And RIJimmy who moved to Texas. Of course, there are those regulars on "my side" here with whom I mostly agree and whose posts give me a pick-me-up who I won't name since I can't remember them all at the moment, but will give special mention of Scottw, my twin brother from another mother, and, of course, my nemeses like you and PeteF and Spence, who annoy the $hit out of me, but who I respect for your efforts and without whom there would be no discussion. And reserve a very special mention of JohnR and The Dad Fisherman who I highly respect for their attempt to be neutral and balanced. Though I'm sure that many of us make it hard for them to maintain their cool.

So if you want to start a thread to vote if I should remain on the site, that would be interesting. And I would abide, without resentment, the final decision. Probably don't have much time left on this side of dirt anyway. And should be doing something more productive with the time I have left.
You are fine, nobody here gets to dictate who belongs and who doesn't, except for Bossman

As mentioned before, a member here has two choices if they don't like a member. They can ignore them or they can block them.

This isn't Survivor, they don't have the option of voting anyone off the island.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #124
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Cry for help much?
What would be the point as we have already seen the hypocrisy.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #125
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Cry for help much?
I think the only one crying for help is the Trump campaign manager, because he knows full well what happens when you don’t perform for the boss. The Tulsa rally was a bust, so it’s off to the wall for a 2016 back to the future moment, more of the same BS, at least he can skip the tanning booth with the 105 degree heat.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:26 AM   #126
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
You are fine, nobody here gets to dictate who belongs and who doesn't, except for Bossman

As mentioned before, a member here has two choices if they don't like a member. They can ignore them or they can block them.

This isn't Survivor, they don't have the option of voting anyone off the island.
Oh boy thanks for sharing that heart warming story and confirmation he doesn’t own a fishing rod, he instead lives vicariously through other fisherman story’s, that’s almost as said as SD’s believe Trump is the best president of our lifetime.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #127
scottw

Quote:
Oh boy thanks for sharing that heart warming story and confirmation he doesn’t own a fishing rod, he instead lives vicariously through other fisherman story’s, that’s almost as said as SD’s believe Trump is the best president of our lifetime.
melting snowflake....
Old 06-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #128
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
melting snowflake....
Kevin said he doesn't like personal insults so you're going to get yelled at. You better edit it.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #129
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Kevin said he doesn't like personal insults so you're going to get yelled at. You better edit it.
it's not an insult it's an observation
Old 06-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #130
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
it's not an insult it's an observation
Wow.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #131
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And today when asked that question directly he didn’t answer.
Just like Ukraine, the gaslighting apparatus goes into operation.
In a week or so the new narrative will be, of course he did.
123,000 dead and he takes no responsibility
From The Hill:

"It was a comment that he made in jest," White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters Monday. "It's a comment that he made in passing, specifically with regard to the media coverage and pointing out the fact that the media never acknowledges that we have more cases because when you test more people, you find more cases."

Trump denied telling his administration to scale back testing in an interview on Monday with CBN News, but said he believed widespread testing put the U.S. at a "disadvantage." Trump said his remark at the rally was "semi tongue-in-cheek."

"Instead of 25 million tests, let's say we did 10 million tests. We'd look like we were doing much better because we'd have far fewer cases. You understand that," Trump said. "I wouldn't do that, but I will say this: We do so much more than other countries it makes us, in a way, look bad but actually we're doing the right thing."

It'll be interesting if you keep repeating the fake news that he really meant it, like you keep repeating the Charlottesville lie that he said Nazis are very fine people.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #132
spence

Quote:
From The Hill:

"It was a comment that he made in jest," White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters Monday. "It's a comment that he made in passing, specifically with regard to the media coverage and pointing out the fact that the media never acknowledges that we have more cases because when you test more people, you find more cases."

Trump denied telling his administration to scale back testing in an interview on Monday with CBN News, but said he believed widespread testing put the U.S. at a "disadvantage." Trump said his remark at the rally was "semi tongue-in-cheek."

"Instead of 25 million tests, let's say we did 10 million tests. We'd look like we were doing much better because we'd have far fewer cases. You understand that," Trump said. "I wouldn't do that, but I will say this: We do so much more than other countries it makes us, in a way, look bad but actually we're doing the right thing."

It'll be interesting if you keep repeating the fake news that he really meant it, like you keep repeating the Charlottesville lie that he said Nazis are very fine people.
Vintage Trump, the deception is so blatant it's right in front of you. Of course Trump doesn't want testing because he thinks it hurts him politically, just like when he didn't want the American cruise ship passengers to disembark because it would have inflated the numbers.

If he actually said test less or not is somewhat irrelevant. Trump sets the tone by his actions and those in his administration and much of his base follow. This is why we have a VP writing absurd op-eds downplaying the threat and supporters who insist the media is hyping it even as more states see increases.

The Trump interview I saw last night on the topic would require complete self subjugation to Trumpism to take at face value. It made zero sense. One of the most serious global events we may see in our lifetimes and our leaders are trying to gaslight.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #133
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump is a walk back machine
Old 06-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #134
PaulS

The problem with lying is it is hard to keep your lies straight.

President Donald Trump insisted on Tuesday that he was serious when he revealed that he had directed his administration to slow coronavirus testing in the United States — shattering the defenses of senior White House aides who argued Trump’s remarks were made in jest.

“I don’t kid. Let me just tell you. Let me make it clear,” Trump told reporters, when pressed on whether his comments at a campaign event Saturday in Tulsa, Okla., were intended as a joke.

“We have got the greatest testing program anywhere in the world. We test better than anybody in the world. Our tests are the best in the world, and we have the most of them. By having more tests, we find more cases,” he continued.

Administration officials as high-ranking as Vice President Mike Pence have scrambled in recent days to clean up Trump’s statements on Saturday in Tulsa, Okla., where he reprised his dubious logic regarding testing rates before an arena of supporters.

“When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people,” Trump said during the rally. “You’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down, please.’”

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro suggested on Sunday the president never issued such an explicit directive, telling CNN Trump’s remarks were “tongue in cheek.”

“It was a comment that he made in jest,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany added at a news briefing Monday, saying: “Any suggestion that testing has been curtailed is not rooted in fact.”

Even Pence sought to help manage the political fallout, telling governors in a conference call Monday that Trump’s testing comments were merely a “passing observation," according to a CBS News report.

But in an interview Monday, Trump did not deny making the ask of his administration to curtail coronavirus testing, instead contending that “if we did slow it down, we wouldn't show nearly as many cases.”
Old 06-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #135
detbuch

Quote:
But in an interview Monday, Trump did not deny making the ask of his administration to curtail coronavirus testing, instead contending that “if we did slow it down, we wouldn't show nearly as many cases.”
From The Hill:

"Trump denied telling his administration to scale back testing in an interview on Monday with CBN News,"
Old 06-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #136
Pete F.
Canceled

South Korea, population about 50 million has about 280 total Covid deaths, that would equate to about 1,680 deaths if the population was 300 million. Why do we have 120,000 dead? We are the richest, most productive, innovative country in the world.
Aren’t we?
Old 06-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #137
PaulS

Quote:
South Korea, population about 50 million has about 280 total Covid deaths, that would equate to about 1,680 deaths if the population was 300 million. Why do we have 120,000 dead? We are the richest, most productive, innovative country in the world.
Aren’t we?
BC we have Trump in office who ignored his briefings, downplayed it and then told the states that they were on their own.

Greatest Pres. of our lifetime!
Old 06-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #138
scottw

Quote:

South Korea, population about 50 million has about 280 total Covid deaths, that would equate to about 1,680 deaths if the population was 300 million. Why do we have 120,000 dead?

democrat governors
Old 06-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #139
detbuch

Quote:
Aren’t we?
How come 58 countries, most of which are far poorer and way less productive and innovative than South Korea, have a smaller death rate due to Coronavirus than South Korea?

There are probably many factors that are different for each country that influence how many deaths each has due to the virus. One of the many, for instance, is the amount of the various kinds of worldwide traffic a country has, and from where that traffic comes. Another is the amount of physical, cultural, political, sociological, and all the other -al and -ism diversity a country has.

The U.S. is by far one of the most diverse and trafficked in the world. And part of that massive diversity is the difference between various parts of the country. Most of the deaths have occurred in just a few places in the U.S. So one might want to examine why that is so, and make comparisons between those parts of the country with SK, and comparisons to it with parts of the US where the death rate is lower than SK.

And one might want to examine the diversity of governmental action and control in the U.S. compared to the more homogenous governmental control of SK.

Not to mention the individualistic temperament of Americans who tend to defy government restrictions and recommendations compared to that of the population of SK.

And on and on . . .

The easy out is to say it's Trump's fault.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #140
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
How come 58 countries, most of which are far poorer and way less productive and innovative than South Korea, have a smaller death rate due to Coronavirus than South Korea?
The poorest countries have done everything possible to control Corona. They also have less of the travel and transits that you claim are the uncontrollable factors in the US, but far less capability to track and trace. They also wear masks.
There are probably many factors that are different for each country that influence how many deaths each has due to the virus. One of the many, for instance, is the amount of the various kinds of worldwide traffic a country has, and from where that traffic comes. Another is the amount of physical, cultural, political, sociological, and all the other -al and -ism diversity a country has.

The U.S. is by far one of the most diverse and trafficked in the world. And part of that massive diversity is the difference between various parts of the country. Most of the deaths have occurred in just a few places in the U.S. So one might want to examine why that is so, and make comparisons between those parts of the country with SK, and comparisons to it with parts of the US where the death rate is lower than SK.

And one might want to examine the diversity of governmental action and control in the U.S. compared to the more homogenous governmental control of SK.
Or one could look at the immediate action taken by SK and most of the countries that have lower deaths per capita than the USA.
SK heeded the warnings from the WHO that our adminstration failed to listen to and immediately started stockpiling PPE, developing tests by bringing together the private sector and funding multiple test developers to make sure they had the capital for development and putting into place the panademic control measures developed with US aid to combat previous pandemics.

Not to mention the individualistic temperament of Americans who tend to defy government restrictions and recommendations compared to that of the population of SK.
The individualistic temperament of Americans that has a large group repeating claims that the virus is a hoax, it's a plot and no worse than a cold. That same group would have listened if the leadership had come out, demonstrated social distancing, reducing personal contact and wearing masks. Nobody who is successful in a leadership position thinks that the example they demonstrate is worthless.
The same people who chant fake news, lock her up and send them back because that is the response they have been taught would tell others to wear a mask and socially distance if they were told that is the way Americans support each other.
That's not what happened is it?

And on and on . . .

The easy out is to say it's Trump's fault.
Actually the easy out is to say "I take no responsibility at all" when he knew better

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.
2:01 PM · Nov 8, 2013·Twitter Web Client

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #141
detbuch

Quote:
Actually the easy out is to say "I take no responsibility at all" when he knew better
He was specifically referring to the slow roll-out of the testing kits. And he makes a convincing argument that he was not personally responsible for that.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #142
Sea Dangles

Quote:
The problem with lying is it is hard to keep your lies straight.

President Donald Trump insisted on Tuesday that he was serious when he revealed that he had directed his administration to slow coronavirus testing in the United States — shattering the defenses of senior White House aides who argued Trump’s remarks were made in jest.

“I don’t kid. Let me just tell you. Let me make it clear,” Trump told reporters, when pressed on whether his comments at a campaign event Saturday in Tulsa, Okla., were intended as a joke.

“We have got the greatest testing program anywhere in the world. We test better than anybody in the world. Our tests are the best in the world, and we have the most of them. By having more tests, we find more cases,” he continued.

Administration officials as high-ranking as Vice President Mike Pence have scrambled in recent days to clean up Trump’s statements on Saturday in Tulsa, Okla., where he reprised his dubious logic regarding testing rates before an arena of supporters.

“When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people,” Trump said during the rally. “You’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down, please.’”

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro suggested on Sunday the president never issued such an explicit directive, telling CNN Trump’s remarks were “tongue in cheek.”

“It was a comment that he made in jest,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany added at a news briefing Monday, saying: “Any suggestion that testing has been curtailed is not rooted in fact.”

Even Pence sought to help manage the political fallout, telling governors in a conference call Monday that Trump’s testing comments were merely a “passing observation," according to a CBS News report.

Take it from an expert on lying

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #143
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
He was specifically referring to the slow roll-out of the testing kits. And he makes a convincing argument that he was not personally responsible for that.
History and politics should give him as much slack as these people received for their speech:

“They cling to guns and religion”
“I voted for it, before I voted against it”
“Basket of deplorables”
“Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job”
“Stuff happens” (Donald Rumsfeld on the chaos of post-invasion Iraq)
“It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’, is.”
“Peace for our time.”

I now realize that Tweety can't even hold himself to the same standard that he claimed his predecessor needed to meet and you claim that we should give him the benefit of doubt for various obtuse reasons.

This is what he had to say when Obama was President.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.

Or is your premise that white privilege actually exists and it is Tweety's due?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #144
Sea Dangles

I am happy to live in the state with the lowest COVID transmission rate in the COUNTRY.

THANK YOU MR PRESIDENT
��

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #145
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
I am happy to live in the state with the lowest COVID transmission rate in the COUNTRY.

THANK YOU MR PRESIDENT
��
Thank Charlie Baker your guy had nothing to do with this states results.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #146
detbuch

Quote:
@realDonaldTrump

Or is your premise that white privilege actually exists and it is Tweety's due?
"Whatever happens" doesn't mean what happened before you got there. The CDC was already incompetent in its ability to deliver quality testing kits before Trump became "responsible." When the Trump administration found that there were existing problems with the CDC's ability, and that there were regulations in place which made it impossible to move quickly enough to correct existing obstacles, it moved to resolve the problems (i.e., took responsibility) . . . and it did.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #147
detbuch

June 23 (UPI) -- Dr. Anthony Fauci told a House panel Tuesday that he has never been asked to slow down testing for COVID-19 and again expressed hope that a vaccine will be ready by the end of 2020 or early 2021.

Asked about statements by President Donald Trump at a campaign rally Saturday that he had asked for a slowdown in testing, Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that neither he nor any other top U.S. health officials have been requested to do so.

"To my knowledge, none of us have ever been told to slow down on testing. That just is a fact," he told members the House energy and commerce committee. "In fact, we will be doing more testing."

The president drew criticism when he suggested spikes in coronavirus cases in several states were due to increased testing.

Other members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force -- including Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield and Health and Human Services Assistant Secretary Brett Giroir -- each answered "no" when similarly asked if they had been instructed to slow down COVID-19 testing.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #148
spence

Quote:
June 23 (UPI) -- Dr. Anthony Fauci told a House panel Tuesday that he has never been asked to slow down testing for COVID-19 and again expressed hope that a vaccine will be ready by the end of 2020 or early 2021.

Asked about statements by President Donald Trump at a campaign rally Saturday that he had asked for a slowdown in testing, Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that neither he nor any other top U.S. health officials have been requested to do so.

"To my knowledge, none of us have ever been told to slow down on testing. That just is a fact," he told members the House energy and commerce committee. "In fact, we will be doing more testing."

The president drew criticism when he suggested spikes in coronavirus cases in several states were due to increased testing.

Other members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force -- including Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield and Health and Human Services Assistant Secretary Brett Giroir -- each answered "no" when similarly asked if they had been instructed to slow down COVID-19 testing.
In other words, Trump has no idea or control over what is going on and is intentionally creating confusion to aid his re-election campaign.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #149
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
In other words, Trump has no idea or control over what is going on and is intentionally creating confusion to aid his re-election campaign.
Yeah, that's it
Old 06-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #150
Pete F.
Canceled

He said today when asked if his testing comment was a joke “I never kid”
But in Bizzaro world I assume that means he’s always kidding.
I get it, his script was exchanged with a comic book from the 60s