Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #181
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
You think Trump and the republicans are supporters a constitutional system of government???

you mat need to think again their action contradict your observation
If you don't want to, or can't, actually have a thorough discussion on what is constitutional, then don't pretend you're making any point with this post.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-17-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #182
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Becaus it's terribly significant.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Tell me about it.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #183
detbuch

Quote:
It means they are acting in the interests of their constituents.
Thought you didn't approve of circle jerks.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #184
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Tell me about it.
Busy building a strong economy.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #185
detbuch

Quote:
Busy building a strong economy.
If I recall a similar post by you in some other post in the previous year or so, you've been doing this for a while. Your efforts seem to have gotten some better results lately. Maybe we should be giving you credit instead of Trump.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #186
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
If I recall a similar post by you in some other post in the previous year or so, you've been doing this for a while. Your efforts seem to have gotten some better results lately. Maybe we should be giving you credit instead of Trump.
Pass the credit to Obama. And yes the red eye feels great this morning. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #187
detbuch

Quote:
Pass the credit to Obama. And yes the red eye feels great this morning. Thanks.
You're too generous and self-effacing.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #188
detbuch

Another needle in the haystack for WDMSO. Actually, WD, the videos on these subjects that I've posted are not scarce. There are plenty of them. I just link a new one every now and then. For your enjoyment:

Old 01-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #189
PaulS

Another Trump hire. Trump and his team keep dragging all of us into the gutter. The Trump apologists will soon rush to his defense.

An appointee of President Donald Trump has resigned from the federal agency that runs AmeriCorps and other service programs after remarks he made disparaging blacks, Muslims, gays, women, veterans with PTSD and undocumented immigrants surfaced in the news media.

Carl Higbie, of Greenwich, Conn., lasted less than six months as the chief of external affairs in the Corporation for National and Community Service.

Higbie's Thursday afternoon resignation, which was prompted after CNN unearthed the comments he reportedly made, comes amid increased scrutiny of the president's appointees for racist or anti-Muslim statements made in the past.

In November, the Department of Homeland Security's Jamie Johnson, another Trump appointee, resigned after comments he made that linked blacks to "laziness" and "promiscuity" came to light. Last week, Pete Hoekstra, the new U.S. ambassador to the Netherlands and a former Republican congressman, apologized after uproar over baseless anti-Muslim theories he had spread multiple times in past.

According to the reporting and audio clips published by CNN on Thursday, Higbie had a lengthy track record of making strongly racist and anti-Muslim statements before his appointment.

In 2013, he spoke about giving away free firewood while working in Virginia Beach on "Sound of Freedom," an Internet talk radio show that he hosted, according to CNN. Higbie said that black women think "breeding is a form of government employment," and that blacks were "lax of morality," and that culture "is breeding this welfare and the high percentage of people on welfare in the black race."

In another talk show appearance in 2013, he expressed dislike for the term "African-Americans."

"The whole African-American thing gets me whipped up because it's like 99 percent - and I'm paraphrasing here - of people who write down African-American have never been to Africa," he said.

He also spoke disparagingly of Islam, saying that he didn't like Muslims "because their ideology sucks," and that he was fine if his views caused him to be labeled a racist.

"I just don't like Muslim people. People always rip me a new one for that. 'Carl, you're racist, you can't, you're sexist.' I'm like Jesus Christ," Higbie said on "Sound of Freedom" in 2013.

On another podcast, Warrior Talk Radio, in 2014, according to CNN, he struck a similar chord.

"I was called an Islamophobe and I was like, 'no, no, no, no, no, I'm not afraid of them. I don't like them. Big difference,' " he said on the show. "And they were like, 'Well, you're racist.' I was like, fine if that's the definition of it, then I guess I am.'"

This is not the first round of controversy for Higbie, who worked as the spokesman for pro-Trump super PAC Great America before the 2016 election. During an appearance on Fox News shortly after the election, he cited Japanese internment camps during World War II as a "precedent" for some of the president's potential immigration plans and the remarks drew wide condemnation.

Nonetheless, he was appointed to the position at the CNCS, which runs AmeriCorps and other volunteering initiatives, and has programs dedicated to rebuilding after natural disasters and supporting veterans and their families, including helping them transition once they return home.

In other audio unearthed by CNN, Higbie, a former Navy SEAL, derided military veterans with PTSD as having "a weak mind," and said he thought a large majority of people with PTSD were being dishonest.

"I'd say 75 percent of people with PTSD don't actually
have it, and they're either milking something for a little extra money in disability or they're just, they honestly are just lying," he said on another talk radio show in 2014.

Samantha Jo Warfield, a CNCS spokeswoman, declined to comment on the circumstances of Higbie's resignation.

Of undocumented immigrants, Higbie, on another episode of "Sound of Freedom" in 2013, said that Americans with guns should be able to shoot undocumented immigrants who attempted to cross into the United States at the border.

"What's so wrong with wanting to put up a fence and saying, 'Hey, everybody with a gun, if you want to go shoot people coming across our border illegally, you can do it fo' free,'" Higbie said. "You cross my border, I will shoot you in the face. I will go down there. I'll volunteer to go down there and stand on that border for, I don't know, a week or so at a time and that'll be my civil duty."

He also spoke harshly about Sen. Dianne Feinstein, also on "Sound of Freedom," calling the California Democrat a "bitch," and saying he'd love to smack her and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's heads together.

"Nothing gets me going like Ted Cruz, when he went off on that Feinstein bitch about the Second Amendment. And he put her in her place, that was just fantastic. I can't stand that woman," Higbie said. "Her and Pelosi. I'd love to just take both their heads and smack them together a couple of times."

During another appearance on "Sound of Freedom," he spoke about the legalization of gay marriage in Rhode Island.

"Congratuf'in'lations, you suck, Rhode Island. Why would you do that?' he said. "I mean, you are breaking the morals, the moral fiber of our country. You know, I don't like gay people. I just don't."

The White House did not respond to a request for comment.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #190
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
More time machine reasoning comparing today with something that happened over 100 years ago.. So lets go back to the roman days i am sure we could find an event that you could use as well
PeteF.'s article about early Norwegian immigrants supports Trump's idea of who to accept as immigrants and also supports supply side economics. Spence and you chirp in about it being 100 years ago. Well, if that makes the ideas in the article obsolete, why didn't you negate the whole thing instead of just what you don't like while asking why we did not suffer from the influx of all those earlier immigrants? If it was a century ago, according to your "time machine" meme, it would not be relevant information. It actually, on the contrary, is asking to examine what happened 100 years ago to come to some conclusion relevant to today.

I replied that our American poor were willing to work for lower wages. So it wasn't a question of filling jobs that Americans wouldn't do, but was an actual shortage of labor.

You also asked or said "Oh ok . . and the welfare argument" which was too enigmatically stated to understand. But that reminds me about another key element which affected the view on work back then. We didn't have the generous federal government support for the unemployed 100 years ago. There was no incentive offered by government to refuse low paying jobs. So there was no surplus of American born who could but wouldn't work. They were not only willing to work, they had to. And the immigrants had to pay their own way to get here, and pay their own way to stay here. That's why it didn't hurt us, was not a drag on the economy or government spending and debt, but actually helped us.

Today, that's entirely different. Due to our comfortable "safety net" and generous government assistance to immigrants, which in itself makes it attractive to come here and take advantage of, even if work is not found.

So yes, the "time machine" operates differently today. And that is one of the reasons why mass immigration today is harmful and why it wasn't 100 years ago.

BTW, this notion that what happened beyond the very recent past is not instructive for us today is ignorant. It is a cockamamy idea probably filtered down to a common point of view from the vague intellectual heights of postmodern philosophy. It is mostly that philosophy which has transformed our academic views about society and existence into a gaggle of relativistic deconstructions, such as tens of gender identities, all of which melds into a regressive cultural Marxism that devalues anything beyond the moment, and even that is questionable.

All the great literature, art, music of the past is still relevant and enjoyable. Beethoven's 9th is not only still performed around the world, but is revered, inspiring, and overall more popular and lasting than all of our modern popular music. Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, is still a gripping psychological study. Tsung Tsu's Art of War is still studied by military experts as well as is some of the formations of the Roman Legions. Shakespeare is still considered the greatest writer in the English language.

Human nature has not changed since it was first recorded. That's why I said in a previous post that we should motivate our physically capable unemployed to do lower wage work that immigrants are willing to do, by making it a swim or sink proposition--as was the case with earlier Americans and immigrants. Do the work that is available or find some charity or family resource, or accept far more basic and less comfortable government provided help than is offered today.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-19-2018 at 10:10 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #191
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Here are some great examples of why Trump is labeled a racist.
In my eyes, when I see people defend this douchebag, I just see another racist or closet racist. Especially when they say ' everyone thinks these things, he just says what he thinks'.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...imes&smtyp=cur
Here's another list of Trumps supposed racisms. Can anyone explain how and why they are racist?

http://beta.latimes.com/politics/la-...htmlstory.html