Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
they're trying to get here in time to vote for democrats
Hopefully that statement is not based on your understanding of who has the right to vote, or is that state tv's message?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
they're trying to get here in time to vote for democrats
Scott, when I look at this party at the national level, and what I see here in CT...it's stupefying. Not only is it no longer the party of JFK, it's no longer even the party of Bill Clinton. I voted for Bill Clinton, and give him high marks on policy, low marks on his personal morals (sounds like Trump, doesn't it). Today, that party is unrecognizable as it marches further and further to the left. It wasn't that long ago, when it wasn't controversial to say "if you are a man, you should probably use the men's bathroom". Today, the democrats say I'm Archie Bunker for saying that.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #33
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
congratulations, you’ve made the most economically illiterate post in the history of the internet.

trump changed nothing? the tax cuts, the elimination of regulations, amount to ‘nothing’? Apple saying they are adding 20,000 new jobs is nothing?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Trump has changed nothing for me he hasn't improved my life or my future or my children's..

when is apple going to create these jobs you throw out regularly??

this line fits you 100% "This story has been catnip for conservative fans of the GOP tax bill. "

you are following Trumps laser pointer over the caravan of people conservatives gotta have themselves a Bogeyman

Whats your take on this ?? US deficit rises 17% driven in large part by a sharp decline in corporate tax revenues after the Trump tax cuts took effect. how this fit in to you economically bias brain
Old 10-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #34
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Scott, when I look at this party at the national level, and what I see here in CT...it's stupefying. Not only is it no longer the party of JFK, it's no longer even the party of Bill Clinton. I voted for Bill Clinton, and give him high marks on policy, low marks on his personal morals (sounds like Trump, doesn't it). Today, that party is unrecognizable as it marches further and further to the left. It wasn't that long ago, when it wasn't controversial to say "if you are a man, you should probably use the men's bathroom". Today, the democrats say I'm Archie Bunker for saying that.
Bill may have had some of the same issues we see many of the powerful men getting caught in, but he handed Bush Jr a balanced budget with a 236 billion surplus.

Bush Jr gave the rich a huge tax cut and launched wars handing Obama a 1.3 trillion annual budget.

Obama cut the annual Bush deficit down to 587 billion, which in light of the cards he was dealt was amazing. Now Trumps huge tax cuts for the rich just raised the 2019 deficit to 1 trillion.

What are the future generations going to be handed? The budget is a major issue in my mind, far more important, than making a campaign about stopping a couple thousand desperate soles fleeing the nightmare they used to call home.

I will wager a bet that the majority of those heading north would be harder workers than those lazy public workers I seeing texting or sipping coffee in their town DPW trucks. Those are also probably the very same class of people Trump hires to change the sheets and clean the toilets in the family hotels.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #35
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Bill may have had some of the same issues we see many of the powerful men getting caught in, but he handed Bush Jr a balanced budget with a 236 billion surplus.

Bush Jr gave the rich a huge tax cut and launched wars handing Obama a 1.3 trillion annual budget.

Obama cut the annual Bush deficit down to 587 billion, which in light of the cards he was dealt was amazing. Now Trumps huge tax cuts for the rich just raised the 2019 deficit to 1 trillion.

What are the future generations going to be handed? The budget is a major issue in my mind, far more important, than making a campaign about stopping a couple thousand desperate soles fleeing the nightmare they used to call home.

I will wager a bet that the majority of those heading north would be harder workers than those lazy public workers I seeing texting or sipping coffee in their town DPW trucks. Those are also probably the very same class of people Trump hires to change the sheets and clean the toilets in the family hotels.
Thanks for providing the DPW stereotype line. Are you anti coffee or union?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #36
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Thanks for providing the DPW stereotype line. Are you anti coffee or union?
No line I see it every day and have a friend who got into sh*t every day for wanting to put in a full day’s work after going to work for my towns DPW dept, while the long time employees just wanted to get thru the day doing the least they could get away with.

I’m against lazy slackers just getting thru the day, taking no pride in doing a good job and working hard and I’m sure you know it’s not limited to any town DPW dept. I’ve also had to rely on union workers working at their own pace, dragging a two day job into a week’s grind.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:

"Bill may have had some of the same issues we see many of the powerful men getting caught in, but he handed Bush Jr a balanced budget with a 236 billion surplus."

This is why I said I liked Clinton, and I think he was a good POTUS. But with Clinton, as with Trump, I care more bout results than I do about whether or not I'd want the POTUS to date my mother.

"Bush Jr gave the rich a huge tax cut and launched wars"

He gave everyone who pays taxes, a tax cut. And last time I checked, the Senate (including Kerry, Edwards, Clinton, Biden, etc) voted for the Iraq War. Bush didn't do it unilaterally. He owns it more than anyone else. But Hilary was very much in favor of the Iraq War.
/
And Bush didn't launch the Afghanistan War, Afghanistan did when it helped Al Queda murder 3,0000 Americans, maybe you heard about it.

"Obama cut the annual Bush deficit down to 587 billion"

I love cherry-picking. Obama also had deficits north of 1 trillion. Are presidents only judged by their lowest annual deficit? Is that how it works? The other 7 Obama deficits don't matter?

Can't we show a little bipartisan honesty? Bush spent a ton of money in response to 09/11. Obama spent 750 billion on a stimulus package that did nothing for anybody, it was a flop. That's not all that Obama did, he helped us recover from the recession, got unemployment down and the market up. But he spent like crazy. Like crazy. He did some good things, but he added a ton to the debt, and some of it was his discretion.

As to the hand he was dealt, dealt by whom? Did Bush cause the subprime mortgage crisis, all by himself?

Bush also launched a very expensive AIDS initiative, which is credited with saving the lives of over one million Africans. Read that again, a million lives. And no one knows about it, because the media hated him. He did more for the continent of Africa than any human being who has ever lived. And no one knows. It was called the Emergency Plan For Aids Relief In Africa. Very, very few people have done more good on this Earth.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Trump has changed nothing for me he hasn't improved my life or my future or my children's..

when is apple going to create these jobs you throw out regularly??

this line fits you 100% "This story has been catnip for conservative fans of the GOP tax bill. "

you are following Trumps laser pointer over the caravan of people conservatives gotta have themselves a Bogeyman

Whats your take on this ?? US deficit rises 17% driven in large part by a sharp decline in corporate tax revenues after the Trump tax cuts took effect. how this fit in to you economically bias brain
"Trump has changed nothing for me"

Unemployment is down, GDP is up, the stock market is up. At an absolute minimum, that means more tax dollars which pay your salary (well deserved salary by the way) and funds your benefits. Yes it does help you. Your pensions also has some exposure to the stock market, Trump is helping that grow, he is helping fund your pension.

"when is apple going to create these jobs you throw out regularly?"

Beats me. Were they lying to make Trump look good? You think Apple does that? They also paid a one-time tax bill of $38 billion, to bring back $250 billion. That's $38 billion the feds will have to help people. It's not me who throws that fact out there, Apple is doing it. I'm truly sorry if Apple's actions don't serve your political narrative, but when your agenda cannot hold up to good economic news, perhaps you need a new agenda.

"this line fits you 100% "This story has been catnip for conservative fans of the GOP tax bill. "

So Apple paying $38 billion in taxes, and adding 20,000 new jobs, is just "catnip"? It's not actually significant? Fascinating.

"Whats your take on this ?? US deficit rises 17% " My take is the same as it was when Obama added gazillions to the debt, that it's bad. I bet you didn't complain when Obama added trillions to the debt. But there is plenty of conservative hypocrisy on this issue, but not from me.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #39
spence

Quote:
It wasn't that long ago, when it wasn't controversial to say "if you are a man, you should probably use the men's bathroom". Today, the democrats say I'm Archie Bunker for saying that.
Because as a society we've evolved...Trump looks like he wants to reverse that. It's sad.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Because as a society we've evolved...Trump looks like he wants to reverse that. It's sad.
That's one way of saying it. Another way, is saying that we (and I'm proud to not be included in that particular 'we') are getting too stupid and amoral to survive. Can't have chocolate milk in elementary school, or straws, but condoms are OK. Hooray!!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #41
detbuch

Quote:
He wants to keep evolving it. It's sad that you think evolution only continues when leftists affect society.

The leftist's version of societal evolution is the Hegelian dialectic--thesis, antithesis, synthesis. Every evolutionary societal advance is a combination of or argument between opposing views such as: thesis (Obama administration) vs. antithesis (Trump administration) which evolves into the new, evolved, social order--synthesis.

Last edited by detbuch; 10-23-2018 at 12:32 PM..
Old 10-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #42
spence

Quote:
That's one way of saying it. Another way, is saying that we (and I'm proud to not be included in that particular 'we') are getting too stupid and amoral to survive.
Funny, I think giving transgender people the respect to live their lives in as normal way a possible is a pretty intelligent and moral thing to do.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #43
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Funny, I think giving transgender people the respect to live their lives in as normal way a possible is a pretty intelligent and moral thing to do.
Respect is earned, not Legislated.

I, personally, don't care what barthroom they use.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #44
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Respect is earned, not Legislated.

I, personally, don't care what barthroom they use.
I think the years of being ostracized, repressed, humiliated and otherwise diminished as humans has earned plenty of respect.

Don't care what bathroom they use either.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #45
detbuch

Quote:
The underlying implication in what you say is that transgenders are not normal. Which poses the question--is normalizing something an attempt to make normal something that is not normal? And does that transformation, that new "thesis" in your evolution of society, eliminate any distinctions in or between genders? And would that be the end of the evolutionary dialect, or would there be the eventual antithesis to your thesis? And that antithesis can, and would, come from the left and right. From the left, the tendency to evolve would be the erasure of the normal/abnormal paradigm toward eliminating old distinctions until, sexually, there eventually would be no differences.

Actually, the left's notion of "diversity" is a contradiction. It keeps evolving into sameness in order to secure its version of social justice.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
and the rights of a little girl to go to a public restroom and not be scared? she doesn’t have those rights? because they are bigoted?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #47
scottw

since "plumbing" no longer has anything do do with whether one is "men" or "women"...shouldn't we "evolve" and just have one bathroom of everyone? it would make everything much easier
Old 10-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #48
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I think the years of being ostracized, repressed, humiliated and otherwise diminished as humans has earned plenty of respect.

Blacks,Jews,Muslims,who are you talking about?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
Good for you. What about a 9 year-old girl who does care? Why don't her concerns, matter to liberals?
Old 10-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #50
detbuch

Quote:

Other than bathrooms, did transgenders not have the same civil rights as normal genders?
Old 10-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #51
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Good for you. What about a 9 year-old girl who does care? Why don't her concerns, matter to liberals?
Well if your 9 year old girl is going into any public rest room without a parent in tow, then I’d question their right to even bitch.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #52
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Other than bathrooms, did transgenders not have the same civil rights as normal genders?
I knew a transgender guy/gal way back in the mid-80's who had credit cards for both genders...he/she was very successful and seemed pretty unoppressed.... and it was always fun to see which one would show up
Old 10-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #53
fishbones

Quote:
Well if your 9 year old girl is going into any public rest room without a parent in tow, then I’d question their right to even bitch.
Would you take a 9 year old little girl into a public restroom?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 10-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #54
Jim in CT

Quote:
when my wife has
my 3 boys and they need to go, after the age of 7 or 8, they went into their bathroom and my wife waited. she doesn’t go in there with them.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:35 PM   #55
Pete F.
Canceled

To be quite honest, women have bigger concerns about straight men almost any place, then the relatively few transgender individuals in a bathroom.
In Vermont all single user restrooms are supposed to be gender neutral.
Just don’t push the button labeled ATR if you’re a male.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #56
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Had three boys and I never allowed them into a public rest room at that age without me.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
Had three boys and I never allowed them into a public rest room at that age without me.
when your boys were 9, they were never with their mom and had to use a public restroom? not ever? my wife takes
my three boys all kinds of places when i’m at work, and she no longer takes them into the ladies room with her, that stopped at about age 4-5. the reason why she stopped taking them
into the ladies room, is that to many people, it’s normal to share a restroom with people who share your genetalia, especially if you’re a female.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:40 PM   #58
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

In Vermont all single user restrooms are supposed to be gender neutral.

??
Old 10-24-2018, 05:56 AM   #59
fishbones

Quote:
That doesn’t answer my question.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 10-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I have baby-sat my nieces a zillion times, and I can't tell you how many times, when they were around 9 years old, I walked them to the entrance of a public women's room and waited. It never occurred to me that I'm narrow-minded for not being comfortable with a grown man walking in there with my nieces. It never occurred to be that if Willie Horton said "I'm a woman", that courtesy suggests that I hold the door open for him/her so he could follow my nieces in there.

In a perfect world, all public restrooms would be single toilet and gender neutral. But they weren't built that way originally (because the people who built them never fathomed we'd go this far over the edge), and we can't retroactively modify all of them to make it so.

So someone is going to have to sacrifice personal comfort for the comfort of others. I don't especially like the idea of asking little girls to make the sacrifice so that adult males can go into the ladies room. I don't want to see those people harassed in the mens room either, but I'm of the opinion that adults make sacrifices for children, not the other way around.