Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #91
spence

Man U v Chelsea this morning on Fox. Should be a great match, especially considering the standings.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #92
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Man U v Chelsea this morning on Fox. Should be a great match, especially considering the standings.
Funny how they are hyping it considering Chelsea's unsuccessful season but with City's win yesterday it's definitely a big game for united. Hoping for a big game from Rooney and a united win but at some point I would like to see Torres wake up and start scoring.....not sure that will ever happen though.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #93
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

ManU and Chelsea was a fun spectacle......although why AVB didn't shut up shop and call it a day when up 3-0 with 30" to play is beyond me. Was Mikel injured or something? I can't imagine even Man U breaking down a midfield with Mikel, Essien, and this exBarca kid in it.

The Liverpool-Tottenham game was interesting as well. Tottenham is in the running for the league title, but seemingly made little effort to win the game. Not a good sign for them. Liverpool, on the other hand played like demons, but generated very little worth mention.
Now that Capello has quit, Redknap will be very tempted to take the England job. Will he walk out on Tottenham? Nervous times for Tottenham fans I'd imagine.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #94
Clogston29
xxx

mikel has a hamstring.

liverpool can really defend. how much offense they can generate is a question though.

tottenham hasn't shown an ability to beat the big boys, and until they do that, i don't see them as a serious contender. although, nobody really looks all that great this year, so if there was ever an opening for them, its now.

i'm really hoping that newcastle can go on a run with Ba and Cisse up front and grab the 4 spot from Chelsea. I'd love to see Chelsea and Arsenal out of the top four.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #95
Chunkah

I think Harry will get the England job. Seems a much better fit than Capello ever was.

Chunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #96
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkah View Post
I think Harry will get the England job. Seems a much better fit than Capello ever was.
I think Harry would be much better off staying at Spurs. The England job is a thankless one and he has seen many of his colleagues who have taken the position go down in flames. He has a good side at Spurs club (that supported him in his latest tax troubles) that are likely to wind up in the CL next year compared to an England squad in need of a massive overhaul. I think we will use the England job as leverage to get more funds from the Spurs board to be able to sign Bale and Modric to long term deals and buy a new striker.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #97
Chunkah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
I think Harry would be much better off staying at Spurs. The England job is a thankless one and he has seen many of his colleagues who have taken the position go down in flames. He has a good side at Spurs club (that supported him in his latest tax troubles) that are likely to wind up in the CL next year compared to an England squad in need of a massive overhaul. I think we will use the England job as leverage to get more funds from the Spurs board to be able to sign Bale and Modric to long term deals and buy a new striker.
I agree that would appear to be the smart move, but I think the allure of rebuilding the national team may be too much for him to pass up. I love the soap opera that is the English National Team! What a mess.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #98
numbskull

England coach is a lot less work than Tottenham coach, and likely pays better. Nice pre-retirement job. He'd probably get a 4-6 year contract. I think he will jump all over it if offered. It isn't like Harry hasn't walked out on other teams before in midseason. Priceless how AVB is pushing him for the job.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #99
Clogston29
xxx

maybe that will be mourinho's window to get back to the EPL as rumored.

it would be interesting to see how differently the brits treat one of their own as coach than a foreigner (look at how differently suarez and terry were treated for a similar offense).

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #100
Chunkah

[QUOTE=Clogston29;919817]maybe that will be mourinho's window to get back to the EPL as rumored.QUOTE]

I always figured the special one holding out for Sir Alex to retire...Spurs are a step down for him. Don't forget Rafa Benitez needs work too and Tottenham might be the perfect place for him.

Last edited by Chunkah; 02-09-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #101
Clogston29
xxx

he has come right out and said that he sees himself as sir alex's replacement. there are some rumors that united may try to push him toward retirement if mourinno really is available. personally, i hope not. i don't enjoy his strict, defensive style (neither do most of his players). that, along with gigg's retirement, would probably be enough to push me toward being a tottenham fan.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #102
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
maybe that will be mourinho's window to get back to the EPL as rumored.

it would be interesting to see how differently the brits treat one of their own as coach than a foreigner (look at how differently suarez and terry were treated for a similar offense).
Well there are reasons why Suarez and Terry cases are being treated differently. In Terry's case the police were informed about the alleged conduct by a fan which prompted them to be involved in the investigation which has led to the current charges. Once the police were involved the FA decided to not conduct their own investigation concurrent with the police one. If Terry is convicted the FA will then suspend him.

The Brits have been very hostile to Brit coaches that have not had success. Look at Gordon Taylor and Bobby Robson both had a torrid time while in charge.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #103
luds
Night Stalker

AVB

Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #104
numbskull

Quite the spectacle, Suarez/Evra. The game itself sorta sucked. Liverpool looked sloppy, ManU a bit dull. But the sideshow was worth the admission.

This will be fascinating to see what the FA does.

The more I read about it, the more I doubt they will act against Suarez. It seems refusing to shake hands is not unheard of in the EPL. Still, I suspect they are going to be very tempted to punish him again because this mocks them as much as it mocks Evra.

Last edited by numbskull; 02-11-2012 at 06:50 PM..
Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #105
Chunkah

The FA is a friggin joke. The double standard shown by them regarding these two cases is ridiculious. Who knows if Suarez, when he called Evra a "negrito" meant it in a negative manner, but by his account, and many others familiar with Central American culture, he likely did not. Evra is a scumbag, he proved that at the last World Cup, and has cried wolf in this manner before; this time it just happened to stick. I wouldn't shake his hand either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Evra + Suarez.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	50554

Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #106
Clogston29
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
Well there are reasons why Suarez and Terry cases are being treated differently. In Terry's case the police were informed about the alleged conduct by a fan which prompted them to be involved in the investigation which has led to the current charges. Once the police were involved the FA decided to not conduct their own investigation concurrent with the police one. If Terry is convicted the FA will then suspend him.

The Brits have been very hostile to Brit coaches that have not had success. Look at Gordon Taylor and Bobby Robson both had a torrid time while in charge.
"Once the police were involved the FA decided to not conduct their own investigation concurrent with the police one." - I guess that's the part I'm questioning. Would they make that same decision if it was not an England international? I doubt it, but its just my opinion. In either case, there seams to be alot more evidence against Terry than there was Suarez.

And i agree on the coach thing in the past, i just wonder if Harry might get a bit for slack. Maybe not.

I think Evra and Suarez are both pricks, but in the interest of moving on Suarez should have just gone ahead with the hand shake IMO. You have to shake hands with guys you hate sometimes, just a fact of life.

lots of boring games this weekend.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #107
mosholu
Mosholu

The issue with the FA is that if they went ahead with their own hearing Terry's legal team would not let him participate because you can not risk having him say something that will come back to haunt him in the criminal case. In a way that leaves the FA with not much to do. That turns out to be a blessing for Chelsea as they get the player for the rest of the season as they fight for a CL spot where Liverpool lost its top striker for 8 games.

As an Arsenal supporter I thought this w/e went rather well as everyone around us dropped points. Will be interesting to see if the return of Gervinho means Walcott goes to the bench (hopefully). The Mertsacker injury is worrisome. All in all I think the schedule does not favor us getting a fourth place finish.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #108
Chunkah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
in the interest of moving on Suarez should have just gone ahead with the hand shake IMO.
I agree.

On another note....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sir Alex.jpg
Views:	1796
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	50627

Old 02-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #109
Chunkah

Just in case anyone missed this...

Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #110
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Just in case anyone missed this...

LOL Chunkah

Old 02-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #111
spence

Carling Cup was fun to watch

Does this count as a Red Sox win?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #112
Chunkah

Quote:
Carling Cup was fun to watch

Does this count as a Red Sox win?
Great win for Liverpool....Cardiff played great. I'd like to see a rematch in the FA Cup final....and no...eff the Sox.

Man U & Arsenal pulled out some classy wins today too....hate those guys.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #113
Chunkah

AVB fired by Chelski....a team in trouble!!! This brings me joy.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #114
spence

Quote:
AVB fired by Chelski....a team in trouble!!! This brings me joy.
Not so sure...it make make the tie breaker tomorrow a lot more interesting.

-spence
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #115
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:

-spence
No matter what they do that squad is going to be broken up at the end of the year. Hard to say if any big name coaches will accept Chelsea's management by committee set up. Rafa may be good for Torres. They had a pretty good understanding at Liverpool
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #116
Chunkah

I think Benitez would want much more control than he'd get there.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #117
Chunkah

Quote:

-spence
DVR is set!

Old 03-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #118
numbskull

The plot thickens.

Now we find out what ManC is made of. Kudos to ManU for forcing them to crack.....but if and how ManC responds should be interesting and telling. Good teams take on the personality of their manager and that is probably ManU's advantage.

Tomorrow's Arsenal/Newcastle game is also fascinating. Tottenham must also be starting to get nervous.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #119
mosholu
Mosholu

Next few weeks are going to be great. Chelsea play Man City and Spurs back to back. Arsenal have Man City and Chelsea in April. Spurs look to have the easiest run in after they play Chelsea. CL fourth spot may be decided by the Arsenal Chelsea game at the end of April.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #120
Chunkah

Awful stuff today...

Muamba 'critically ill' | Bolton Wanderers News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports