Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Joe

Conservative Party v.s. Republican Party

What do you make of Sara Palin endorsing Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman in the NY-23 special election?
Any broader implications for republicans? Like the threat of Sunni/Shiite schism within the party?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
What do you make of Sara Palin endorsing Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman in the NY-23 special election?
Any broader implications for republicans? Like the threat of Sunni/Shiite schism within the party?
Sarah Palin and MANY other Republicans were right to endorse Hoffman, as demonstrated by the supposedly Republican candidate's (Dede Scozzafava) endorsement of the DEMOCRAT Owens (who she was supposedly running against) after she withdrew from the race today. Most Republicans recognized her not merely as a RINO, but as more liberal than many Democrats. The split between Conservatives, moderates, and liberals in the G.O.P. has been long-standing. I don't think that the "Sunni" element will be strapping bombs to their bodies in party caucus, but may try to "moderate" the liberal direction their party has been trending toward.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Most Republicans recognized her not merely as a RINO, but as more liberal than many Democrats. The split between Conservatives, moderates, and liberals in the G.O.P. has been long-standing.
Most Republicans on the federal level were pissed that she endorsed a candidate that was not a Republican.

It is becoming more and more visible that Palin was probably correctly described by the McCain campaign managers. If she doesn't play the political game, she will not get anywhere on a Federal level.

If McCain had picked Romney, we very possibly would have a different Administration right now. I know my vote would have been different.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Joe

The republican leadership is not happy with her.
She broke Reagan's Eleventh Commandment: "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican."
Palin has also started a political action committee, to help finance conservatives. SarahPAC - Sarah Palin's Official PAC
I think she'd like to establish a third party with herself at the helm.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Nebe

Anyone see nailin Pailin yet??
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
JohnnyD

Quote:
She broke Reagan's Eleventh Commandment: "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican."
Palin has also started a political action committee, to help finance conservatives. SarahPAC - Sarah Palin's Official PAC
I think she'd like to establish a third party with herself at the helm.
She was put in the spotlight for exactly this reason - Republicans wanted a hard-line Conservative because many Republicans didn't think McCain wasn't conservative enough.

Now, the party no longer has a use for her and she's running amok. They've let her out of her cage and now don't know what to do about it. She can only commit political suicide so many times.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
detbuch

Quote:
What would have Reagan thought of a supposed Republican endorsing a Democrat? Who is the real traitor/rogue here, Palin or Scozzafava? Would Reagan have sanctioned a Scozzafava as a candidate on the Republican ticket?

If the party is splitting into "Sunnis" and "Shias," what and who are the so-called Republican leadership that you speak of?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
If McCain had picked Romney, we very possibly would have a different Administration right now. I know my vote would have been different.
If people like you had voted for McCain, we very possibly would have a different Administration right now. And, since people like you didn't vote for McCain, your constant droning about the Republicans not acting like you want them to is strange, to say the least. People lilke you gutted the G.O.P., putting irresistable power in the hands of the Dems. You got nothin comin from the Republicans, and the Democrats will hand you your lunch.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
She was put in the spotlight for exactly this reason - Republicans wanted a hard-line Conservative because many Republicans didn't think McCain wasn't conservative enough.

Now, the party no longer has a use for her and she's running amok. They've let her out of her cage and now don't know what to do about it. She can only commit political suicide so many times.
So you're saying it wasn't McCain that picked her, but the Shadow Power "Republicans" who wield the real power in the party. And this lurking Party Power forced her, in shadowy secret, to resign as governer and shooed her out of that "cage" into the wild to die? So what would those Masters of the Party have done with Palin if their nefarious plan had worked and McCain had won? Slipped her some hemlock, and installed a manageable, moderate puppet?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
JohnnyD

Quote:
If people like you had voted for McCain, we very possibly would have a different Administration right now. And, since people like you didn't vote for McCain, your constant droning about the Republicans not acting like you want them to is strange, to say the least.
If Palin wasn't chosen as McCain's running mate, I probably would have.

Quote:
People lilke you gutted the G.O.P., putting irresistable power in the hands of the Dems.
The GOP and the Bush administration is what bleached the Right from Congress. *I* actually had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
You got nothin comin from the Republicans, and the Democrats will hand you your lunch.
Owning a successful business, working about 30 hours a week when I'm not traveling, lucky enough to be able to fishing 3-5 times a week - I live comfortably. Can't say I'm waiting for the Dems to give me any handouts.

Considering that you know nothing about me, I find it tough for you to repeatedly say "if people like you". You have no idea who I've voted for in other elections aside from Obama in this past Presidential election and as such, you have no clue what you're talking about. You also don't know a thing about me.

If you've ever paid two seconds of attention instead of merely regurgitating what you hear on Rush or read on neo-conservative websites, you'd know that I'm completely against all but the most necessary welfare services. So quite frankly, you can go (*&$ yourself.

**Edit** Here's an interesting fact about you though. Since you registered, you haven't made a single post anywhere else on the site aside from in the Political Forum. So either you're just a troll, or you use a separate account in this forum because you're not enough of a man to stand behind what you have to say.

Last edited by JohnnyD; 11-02-2009 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: See Edit
Old 11-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #11
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

This isn't the first time that the Conservative Party has run its own candidate for office in New York instead of cross-endorsing a Republican, and it won't be the last.

What it almost invariably does is allow a Democrat to win in a three-way race without a majority of the votes, as it splits the Republican vote.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
What it almost invariably does is allow a Democrat to win in a three-way race without a majority of the votes, as it splits the Republican vote.
Yes, but at least they won't have to print up any new talking points.

This is a big problem with centralized power in party politics.

-spence
Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Considering that you know nothing about me, I find it tough for you to repeatedly say "if people like you". You have no idea who I've voted for in other elections aside from Obama in this past Presidential election and as such, you have no clue what you're talking about. You also don't know a thing about me.

It was this past election and the vote for Obama to which I refer. If McCain, not Obama, had won, the political situation would be different.

If you've ever paid two seconds of attention instead of merely regurgitating what you hear on Rush or read on neo-conservative websites, you'd know that I'm completely against all but the most necessary welfare services. So quite frankly, you can go (*&$ yourself.

I don't listen to Rush, nor read neo-conservative websites. From reading your posts, I know that you are against all but the most necessary welfare services.

**Edit** Here's an interesting fact about you though. Since you registered, you haven't made a single post anywhere else on the site aside from in the Political Forum. So either you're just a troll, or you use a separate account in this forum because you're not enough of a man to stand behind what you have to say.
Your interesting fact is false. I have posted, once, elsewhere on the site. I don't use a separate account, and I stand behind what I say. I have never posted on any other forum than this forum. I came across it by accident, found it interesting reading, and, eventually, jumped in. I have, since discovering this forum, looked into others out of curiosity, found them not as interesting, or varied, or having participants who are as "real" as on this forum. I find YOUR personality quite likeable. Not only do I agree with you often, I like your bluntness, off-the-cuff style. Being a bit of an empath, I sometimes respond to a post in the manner and style of that post. I was uncharacteriscly blunt in referring to "people like you" because I was responding to a blunt person. Sorry that it, as you might say, got your panties all up in a bunch. But I stand by what I said--if people like you (those who voted for Obama) had voted for McCain, we would have a different political reality. If that makes me a troll, so be it. I hope that I have added to the discussions on this forum, but if there is some specific qualification to be a part of this forum that I lack, I am willing to leave.

Last edited by detbuch; 11-03-2009 at 12:36 PM..
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
Joe

Quote:
Would Reagan have sanctioned a Scozzafava as a candidate on the Republican ticket?
No. But he would not have left the party to endorse a third party canidate.

Quote:
If the party is splitting into "Sunnis" and "Shias," what and who are the so-called Republican leadership that you speak of?
The republican leader that denounced Palin for endorsing a third party candidate was John Boehner, Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives

The Sunni/Shia split in Islam was over who was the true heir to Muhammad. To me, the rift in the GOP appears to be over which philosophy is the true heir to Reagan.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
No. But he would not have left the party to endorse a third party canidate.

You may be right, but in the case of
scozzafava I'm not sure that he wouldn't have agreed with another conservative icon, William F. Buckley, who said that, in an election, he would vote for the most conservative, electable candidate.

The Sunni/Shia split in Islam was over who was the true heir to Muhammad. To me, the rift in the GOP appears to be over which philosophy is the true heir to Reagan.
And who's philosophy is closer to being the true heir to Reagan, Scozzafava's or Palin's?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Joe

Palin, certainly - but the analogy is poor one.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
detbuch

Quote:
Palin, certainly - but the analogy is poor one.
In this particular election, it was the only analogy available. Since Scozzafava's departure, and subsequent endorsement of the Democrat cadidate, I'm sure that Boehner and the Republican leadership will support a hoffman victory.